News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Is "digital entitlement" a thing?

Started by marshwiggle, November 08, 2022, 09:07:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: marshwiggle on November 08, 2022, 10:22:41 AM
Ever see someone pull out a phone to divide a number by 10? Or multiply a number by 10? Should that really be necessary?

ETA: I remember a few years ago hearing high school students who didn't think learning to drive was necessary, since self-driving cars would soon be here and make it unnecessary. (Hence my pointing out the news on that above.)

One of my Astronomy lab students whipped out a phone to multiply a number by 1!!!!!! Well, it was 1.00, so maybe the decimal places were confusing?

jimbogumbo

Quote from: dismalist on November 08, 2022, 03:26:44 PM
horse-and-buggy, still used by aficionados, but no one else.

The Amish will dispute the above characterization.

clean

Quotehorse-and-buggy, still used by aficionados, but no one else.

The Amish will dispute the above characterization.

Maybe the Amish ARE aficionados! 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

dismalist

The Amish allow new technologies, such as cell phones, trucks, and the internet to be experimented with and eventually used. They just don't want the technologies to disrupt their traditional way of life. All this is decided on in a highly decentralized manner, so one will see different rules.

As with all new technologies, the Amish insist that cell phones are not shown off, and are used quietly and in a secluded manner [specific rules differ]. No phoning in public! I wish we were more like the Amish in some ways!
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

jimbogumbo

Quote from: dismalist on November 08, 2022, 05:08:02 PM
The Amish allow new technologies, such as cell phones, trucks, and the internet to be experimented with and eventually used. They just don't want the technologies to disrupt their traditional way of life. All this is decided on in a highly decentralized manner, so one will see different rules.

As with all new technologies, the Amish insist that cell phones are not shown off, and are used quietly and in a secluded manner [specific rules differ]. No phoning in public! I wish we were more like the Amish in some ways!

I know quite a lot about the Amish given where I have lived all these years. What technology is allowed varies wildly from church to church, as the local bishop is in charge. Someone I worked with retired, and drives a logging crew to the woods each day. As is often the case, his group uses power tools but doesn't drive. Many crews (local Amish do a large amount of new home building in the state) are a ditto, but they do not own the tools. Not allowed by their bishop.

marshwiggle

Quote from: jimbogumbo on November 08, 2022, 06:53:05 PM

I know quite a lot about the Amish given where I have lived all these years. What technology is allowed varies wildly from church to church, as the local bishop is in charge. Someone I worked with retired, and drives a logging crew to the woods each day. As is often the case, his group uses power tools but doesn't drive. Many crews (local Amish do a large amount of new home building in the state) are a ditto, but they do not own the tools. Not allowed by their bishop.

Around here, it's quite common for them to have power tools and phones in their businesses, but not in their homes.
It takes so little to be above average.

apl68

Sounds like an intelligent way to adapt to new technologies without letting them run amok.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

ciao_yall

My two superpowers have been completely obliterated by technology.

1) I can drive a stick shift. I have taught my sisters, an old boyfriend, and friend's daughter how. I used to impress the Midwestern transplants with my ability to gracefully start from a dead stop on a steep hill. Now with electric cars, these are not needed. Our 6-speed manual is already starting to give the occasional valet a wince... "Um... let me get my coworker."

2) I can parallel park in tight spaces on one try and get super close to the curb, natch. Now they have automated the technology.

I guess it's time for me to die.

quasihumanist

Quote from: ciao_yall on November 09, 2022, 07:07:50 PM

1) I can drive a stick shift. I have taught my sisters, an old boyfriend, and friend's daughter how. I used to impress the Midwestern transplants with my ability to gracefully start from a dead stop on a steep hill. Now with electric cars, these are not needed. Our 6-speed manual is already starting to give the occasional valet a wince... "Um... let me get my coworker."

2) I can parallel park in tight spaces on one try and get super close to the curb, natch. Now they have automated the technology.

My superpower is finding my way around cities.  (Note - this only works to its fullest extent in North American and Western European cities - something about having good cultural knowledge of how cities are organized.)  This has also been automated.

marshwiggle

Not quite; my Gen Z daughter, since she can drive a stick, has been able to drive her boyfriend's car. (And in other countries, rentals are still often sticks.) Are automatic tractors the norm yet?

glowdart

Did y'all not have friends who were really bad at reading maps when younger? They don't show up 30 minutes late for everything anymore because they're not perpetually getting lost. They still can't find our county on a map and thus can't understand how I always know the imminent weather threat from looking at a radar, but my coffee is still hot when they get to the coffee shop.

marshwiggle

Quote from: glowdart on November 10, 2022, 06:33:44 AM
Did y'all not have friends who were really bad at reading maps when younger? They don't show up 30 minutes late for everything anymore because they're not perpetually getting lost. They still can't find our county on a map and thus can't understand how I always know the imminent weather threat from looking at a radar, but my coffee is still hot when they get to the coffee shop.

What is this "late" of which you speak? It sounds like you assume there was some sort of expectation prior to an event that people would arrive. Everyone knows the proper way to act as a group is to continually monitor social media and, if consensus develops that there is a generalized desire to meet in a specific location as soon as people can get there, then some unspecified number will show up.

You sound as if people could decide and make a commitment to attend in advance, regardless of what everyone may feel like at that time. Weird.

apl68

Quote from: quasihumanist on November 09, 2022, 07:27:39 PM

My superpower is finding my way around cities.  (Note - this only works to its fullest extent in North American and Western European cities - something about having good cultural knowledge of how cities are organized.)  This has also been automated.

Yes it has, but I don't have a GPS and still navigate with paper maps.  It's an imperfect system that means I sometimes have trouble finding my way around unfamiliar cities, but once I have it figured out, I have it figured out.  I also still drive a stick.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

marshwiggle

Quote from: apl68 on November 10, 2022, 07:23:53 AM
Quote from: quasihumanist on November 09, 2022, 07:27:39 PM

Yes it has, but I don't have a GPS and still navigate with paper maps.  It's an imperfect system that means I sometimes have trouble finding my way around unfamiliar cities, but once I have it figured out, I have it figured out.  I also still drive a stick.

Amazing fact! Maps still work if there has been a car accident, or a water main break, or construction! And they don't even say "Recalculating....." while they do!