News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

What's your weather?

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 05:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apl68

The line crews worked for twelve hours straight trying to rebuild our neighborhood's power grid on Saturday.  I was just resigning myself to another night in the dark when the power came on unexpectedly around 9:30 in the evening.  The next morning, I went for a bicycle ride before church and heard generators still running on several streets in the area.  Everybody had been restored by that evening. 

I saw where one house on the next street over had a big fallen tree lying parallel to the front of it, all along the front, only a couple of feet from the front door.  What a close call!  I've heard a rumor of a tree falling on a house somewhere in the area, but haven't had confirmation.  No reports of anybody being hurt in the storm.

Today, the first summer heat wave has arrived!  Mid-upper 90s are  forecast, which with our humidity means heat index temperatures of well over 100.  Pretty ordinary summer weather here.  I just spent half an hour out in the sun discussing work to revive our library flower beds with our contractor.  I came in almost soaked, and I wasn't the one doing the heavy work!
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

ab_grp

Mamselle, that is interesting.  Can't it just go through any FedEx facility? We have plenty around here that receive stuff.

Apl68, falling trees are so unpredictable.  I'm glad no one got hurt.  During superstorm Sandy, our neighbor got lucky with two huge pine (or some such) trees both falling and both missing his house, landing crisscrossed by it, which has to be a miracle.  I guess that's hard to picture from my poor description.  And I don't envy you the humidity or miss that at all.  Hope you can stay cool.

I just wanted to update that the HVAC arrived in town over the weekend as you might expect.  Despite this, they could not install it in the M/T window that we scheduled around.  They offered W(today)/Th.  Somehow, T/W would not have worked.  So, my husband rescheduled an important work activity that he was supposed to do today, but in any event... they are here! They are dismantling the old unit, then need to go get some part made at a part making place nearby, then they will put the new one in.  Whether they will finish today or not, I don't know.  I don't know if they will even work all day.  The other unit was on the south side of the house, indoors in the mechanical room (except for the outside compressor or condenser or whatever that is).  This one is on the westish side of the house and outside in a utility closet, so it will be very hot in the sun for the afternoon, and it's a small space.  It's "only" supposed to get to 101 today.  We have cold water bottles in the fridge for them plus hefty tips.  They also have water and food and fans and radios.  I would not want to be doing that work, but I also hope we have A/C tonight! We'll see what else we can do to make the work more painless.  Hopefully they will take whatever breaks they need, though I'm sure they are used to working in the sun and heat here.  It's crazy that they wanted to start dismantling this one when they put the other one in, which was two months ago! Sure, I would have been fine living in this hot hotness without A/C for two months just to save some time later. ? So hopefully (knock on wood!) this will be the end of my complaining, and thank you for the listening and sympathy.

mamselle

Here's hoping for a small igloo just the size for you and those in your vicinity to stay in until the A/C is done...or the igloo melts, whichever comes...um....last.

M.

Oh, no, the routing is very specific for all mapped delivery sites. If the final delivery address is on one side of the line, it goes to one place, or if it's on the other side, it goes to the other place. Don't even THINK about asking them to re-think that for a specific package...it would scramble their brains and the computer's electronic nerve-networks.

Our work-around worked, but it was a very, very long time ago. I recall the first time having to go out to the remote site for a late-night pickup and wondering if I'd come back alive, or if I'd be found with coyote bite-marks all over me and the box of dry-iced DNA consumed beside my prone figure....   
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ab_grp

Thanks for the cool wishes, Mamselle.  I wouldn't think they would want to route it through a center 6 hours away in another state, but who knows.  My husband's watch went around the country a few times, and I know it happens.  I'm glad you didn't end up meeting a coyote!

apl68

If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

mamselle

For anyone in the Wisconsin/Michigan area, there are two tornados noted on the ground;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmoeCxjOrgs

Live coverage is saying that although sirens are not sounding in some places, shelter should be sought.

The northernmost storm is large and confirmed...then two more cropped up.

Seven on the ground at once.

Two semis down.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

It's 98 degrees Fahrenheit over here, but with the heat index, it 'feels' like 108 deg. F.

apl68

We're trying to hold an outdoor event here at the library, on a day with highs headed for the upper 90s.  From the middle of next week we have highs of 100 or better forecast.  Kind of severe for June even here, but hardly unprecedented.  The main problem is that it's a humid heat.  I wore myself out with less than four hours of outdoor activity (walking, mowing, etc.) yesterday.  Hard to believe I used to work eight-hour-days outside in this.

mamselle

60s for now.

Not too bad....sorry, apl68!

M.

apl68

We just cut our outdoor event short due to heat.  One participant had just had to absent herself because she felt it getting to be too much for her.  It's unfortunate we've had to do that, because earlier we'd made some good contacts.  Participants seem to have been satisfied by the event, at least, so we can call the experiment a half-win.

mamselle

At least you tried and got as good a result as might be expected.

Given the heat, the fact that you got a turn-out at all suggests there's a lot of support, to make people even try to go.

Maybe now you can...Find a pool?...Seek out a movie theater w/AC?

Let a spirit of consolation have some room to work...

M.

Langue_doc

Probably in the sixties today; most people in the subway were wearing jackets, sweaters, or other warm clothing. Now it's raining.

I'm not complaining, as I like cool temperatures, but it's the end of June, and it's supposed to be much warmer this time of the year.

mamselle

Just wait...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl-lwhoLt3Y

Cooler, chances for rain, in the north (c. 8 min in); the south, however, is looking at serious potential for drought (most of the opening part).

M.

Juvenal

I live in the NY Metro area.  This afternoon's damp, gray, cool weather (it's SUMMER?) reminded me of my many summer years in New Hampshire, volunteering for the Appalachian Mountain Club.  Days like this were a) not entirely uncommon and b) welcome when they came.  I'm actually glad to have this reminder.  My windows are open and although the crackers are getting limp, I can live with that.  My sibling lives where the recent heat dome was hard-boiling the eggs on the way home from the mart.
Cranky septuagenarian

evil_physics_witchcraft

It's 9:45 pm and 87 deg. F outside, but it 'feels' like 91 with 52% humidity. Tomorrow, it's supposed to get up to 96 and 'feel' like 101.