News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

What's your weather?

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 05:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apl68

I was shocked to see that these Canadian fires are affecting air quality as far south as North Carolina.  It's terrible to think what conditions must be like in Canada itself.  Looks like the fires have already burned somewhere in the neighborhood of 10,000 square miles in Canada this year, and the year isn't yet half over. 
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Harlow2

Now up to code purple in Philly. We are living in a giant tinderbox (no rain where I am since the beginning of May), so this is very scary. Lots of dry Pine Barrens.

ab_grp

Sending clear air wishes to hmaria1609 and Harlow2 and others in all that smoke (and in the fiery or fire-prone areas as well!).  I saw a forecast that it will last through tomorrow but will hopefully clear out by or over the weekend. 

Langue_doc

Continued haze and unhealthy air. Events have been canceled, thankfully, as has street cleaning, which means that I don't have to go outside to move my car.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/07/nyregion/nyc-wildfire-smoke-scenes.html

hmaria1609

Quote from: ab_grp on June 07, 2023, 03:59:57 PM
Sending clear air wishes to hmaria1609 and Harlow2 and others in all that smoke (and in the fiery or fire-prone areas as well!).  I saw a forecast that it will last through tomorrow but will hopefully clear out by or over the weekend.
Thank you!

It's Code Purple for DC today:
https://wtop.com/local/2023/06/code-purple-very-unhealthy-air-sweeps-through-dc-area-as-impact-of-canadian-wildfires-continues/
Scroll past ad breaks to read full article. There's a photo gallery included.  Neighboring counties in MD and VA have adjusted public services.

We've got signs posted at the front door of the library. I'll be outside long enough to put my lunch bag in the car and go back inside the library.

AmLitHist

The smoke has reached central IL/metro St. Louis this week.  Yesterday was nearly overcast with the milky sky from the smoke; it's been clearer today.  Thinking of all of you dealing with the mud-colored and -textured air!  Stay safe!

We also need RAIN.  Lots and lots of rain--we haven't had any to amount to anything for over 3 weeks. The corn and beans in the fields look like they're growing out of concrete.

Juvenal

Skies are blue again.  Let the orange amuse the mid-Atlantic ocean.
Cranky septuagenarian

hmaria1609

Harlow2

Much better here too; actually went for a 4-mile walk/hike tonight.

paultuttle

Clearer skies and thunderstorms. Mother Nature is doing her washing this evening.

hmaria1609

Got some rain today but it's still humid. Ugh!
I read there's drought monitoring activated on the Potomac River courtesy of WTOP Radio.

Harlow2

An entire inch of rain! Yay!! 

Hope some of it extended into the forests east of here that have been on fire all summer.

apl68

Unusually cool for a June morning, and very rainy.  It feels like the rain could break over us soon.  The forecast calls for a chance of rain for each of the next several days, with scattered heavy storms tomorrow.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

AmLitHist

Very cool and nice here--50s overnight, in the 70s yesterday and low 80s today.  Still no rain here, though, but there was some around us over the weekend.  Heat and humidity will return in a few days, so I'm enjoying the pretty weather now!

apl68

We ended up with quite a heavy rain late this morning.  No harm done, but it boomed and flashed a lot outside.