News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

What's your weather?

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 05:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

Rain predicted to start c. 4 AM, landfall Sunday afternoon, dissipation over land as usual but the usual flood, tornado, and utilities warnings.

I have no reason to have to go out, although I might take a short walk if there's no wind and the rain isn't very heavy in the AM, but I'm careful to assess those things with as much judicious attention to what I see blowing outside my window as what my laptop says, so I won't take any chances.

So long as wifi holds and the extra light sources, computer and phone are charged, should be fine. I don't open the freezer if the electricity goes, and have more than enough food otherwise, so I'm not worrying.

On va voir.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

sinenomine

In the direct path of Henri here. I'm hunkered down with books and food that doesn't require refrigeration or cooking, and hoping the impacts won't be too bad. I'd much rather have a blizzard!
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

mamselle

The rain only just started as I returned from my 7 AM walk and I've just started hearing occasional thunderclaps: just starting breakfast now.

No swans anywhere, a few ducks in all the usual places, a few geese, no herons. A few birdcalls along the way, but many fewer than usual...those guys know the skies better than we do, so they're probably all hunkered down and staying there.

I just recalled a stupid thing that happened during Gloria that I hope isn't repeated: surfers going out and trying to ride the high waves generated by the storm.

Gov. is requesting all to stay put, ferries are canceled, public transport is reduced/emergent need only, which is a wise precaution, I think....keeps people from going places they can only return from with difficulty--or help, if at all.

Hoping all stay safe and well.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

cathwen

We were vacationing on Cape Cod, but heeded the governor's pleas for tourists to go home.  So we left early yesterday morning to get home—which was also in the path of Henri. 

This morning, our area is no longer under a hurricane watch; it's been downgraded to a tropical storm, which could still cause flooding on the coast (we're inland a bit) and downed tree limbs from the wind.  At the moment, there is light wind and rain, nothing unusual.  But of course, that could change, and probably will.

mamselle

Fairly quiet here, too...a-a-a-a-l-l-lmost disappointing after all the hype, but still, better safe than sorry.

M.

ab_grp

Sending wishes for safety to all those in Henri's path, no matter what form he arrives in!

Langue_doc

Despite yesterday morning's forecast of sunshine/clouds, we had torrential rain in the evening. The local papers and news outlets showed flooded roads/expressways with drivers having to be rescued from their stalled cars and flooded subway stations. I'm staying put today as streets in my neighborhood get flooded even during normal rains. It's still raining today.

Tennessee forumites, hope you're safe and not in the flooded areas.

mamselle

Quote from: hmaria1609 on August 21, 2021, 07:00:52 PM
I saw a news alert about Henri heading towards southern New England earlier today.  For those are in the region, stay safe and dry!

Huh. Yep, Henri bangs a U-ey:

https://whdh.com/news/flood-watch-issued-for-parts-of-mass-with-henri-expected-to-turn-back-east/

M.

hmaria1609

Heat emergency alert in DC today

clean

There is a weather system near Cuba. It is too early to say when it will get a name, or if it will be anything to watch .

What the local news is SORT OF SAYING is"  It is too early to predict the path or strength of this thing... So we CANT say that it WONT be a CAT 5 storm RIGHT HERE Tuesday morning !!"

"The world ends at 10, details at 11... tune in!!"

But until then it is HOT.  Damn Hot!  Middle of August Hot! 
(Oh, and did I mention Humid??) 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

EdnaMode

Way too hot and humid for this far north. Our building HVAC can barely keep up so lecturing and teaching labs with a face mask on has been a bit uncomfortable and sweaty. Not all our dorms have AC and I feel bad for the students. Some of them have said they go sit in classroom buildings or the library until they have to go back to the dorms to sleep. Normally, lack of AC is not a problem, highs are in the 70s with low humidity this time of year. I've even been running my AC at home just so I can sleep and there have been summers in the past where I never turned it on. Autumnal weather can't get here soon enough.
I never look back, darling. It distracts from the now.

apl68

Quote from: EdnaMode on August 25, 2021, 04:57:20 PM
Way too hot and humid for this far north. Our building HVAC can barely keep up so lecturing and teaching labs with a face mask on has been a bit uncomfortable and sweaty. Not all our dorms have AC and I feel bad for the students. Some of them have said they go sit in classroom buildings or the library until they have to go back to the dorms to sleep. Normally, lack of AC is not a problem, highs are in the 70s with low humidity this time of year. I've even been running my AC at home just so I can sleep and there have been summers in the past where I never turned it on. Autumnal weather can't get here soon enough.

The public schools in our state--where 100-degree temperatures in August are not uncommon, and September and May were already summer months before anybody ever heard of climate change--only started to get air conditioning in the late 1980s, a few years after I graduated high school.  I remember when our local schools got them, because I helped my father block up the windows on some of them to improve their energy efficiency the summer before the air was turned on.  But in MY day we spent a significant part of each school year just sweltering in class.  Classes after afternoon PE were the worst, since we didn't get a chance to shower before hitting the books again.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

mamselle

We're getting a heat advisory suggesting we could soar as high as 102 today.

If your name is Icarus, watch out.....

M.

EdnaMode

Quote from: apl68 on August 26, 2021, 09:28:15 AM
The public schools in our state--where 100-degree temperatures in August are not uncommon, and September and May were already summer months before anybody ever heard of climate change--only started to get air conditioning in the late 1980s, a few years after I graduated high school.  I remember when our local schools got them, because I helped my father block up the windows on some of them to improve their energy efficiency the summer before the air was turned on.  But in MY day we spent a significant part of each school year just sweltering in class.  Classes after afternoon PE were the worst, since we didn't get a chance to shower before hitting the books again.

I went to high school in the South in the 80s and we did not have AC. It got pretty rank sometimes, as you mentioned, especially if there was no time for showering after PE. I have never particularly liked heat and humidity, and having heat exhaustion once was more than enough for me. Since I moved north for this job about 10 years ago (spent most of my life in the southern half of the US), any resistance to hot weather I built up, has completely gone away. I'll go outside without a coat when it's 20 degrees, but let the temps get above 70? I'm convinced I'm going to melt into a puddle.
I never look back, darling. It distracts from the now.

mamselle

Quote from: mamselle on August 26, 2021, 09:51:11 AM
We're getting a heat advisory suggesting we could soar as high as 102 today.

If your name is Icarus, watch out.....

M.

We've topped out at 93, if I can believe my phone weather notes.

I'm in a cool part of the house, haven't noticed it getting any hotter.

They always over-predict.

M.