News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Venting Thread

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 07:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juvenal

Is it supply chain issues or what?  What has happened to the brand of coffee I have favored for a long time?  Problems in the coffee orchards?  I'm looking at you, Folgers.  I like the red canister--a wise way to choose a food item--and that they have a variety of different types.  Anyway, two canisters of two of their apparently different types, produce coffee nearly indistinguishable from black hot water.

It came to me they might be buying used coffee grounds from some instant coffee maker, drying them out and packaging them for me...

It's enough to make me start in again on lapsang souchong and live dangerously with something outlawed in the EU.  At least there will the scent of creosote to convince me I'm drinking something besides hot water.
Cranky septuagenarian

evil_physics_witchcraft

Family member may have Covid, but refuses to get tested. This person is a medial professional (well, retired now). What in the ever loving hell???

clean

QuoteFamily member may have Covid, but refuses to get tested. This person is a medial professional (well, retired now). What in the ever loving hell???

If the test is positive what would they do differently than they are now?
If negative, then what?

in other words, does knowing change anything that they are doing now anyway? 

OF course, I D rather know!  I d report the positive result if I had it so that the community data is correct. 

Even medical people, though, can be 'educated beyond their abilities'!
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Puget

"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: clean on June 10, 2022, 11:14:05 AM
QuoteFamily member may have Covid, but refuses to get tested. This person is a (medical- oops!) medial professional (well, retired now). What in the ever loving hell???

If the test is positive what would they do differently than they are now?
If negative, then what?

in other words, does knowing change anything that they are doing now anyway? 

OF course, I D rather know!  I d report the positive result if I had it so that the community data is correct. 

Even medical people, though, can be 'educated beyond their abilities'!

I know. It's just frustrating. This person has a 'do as I say, not as I do' mentality and also tries to 'tough it out.' It would also add to the community numbers which may or may not be helpful. They're in a very rural area with a low population and low # of cases.

clean

"May 9, 2022 — Based on studies conducted so far, Paxlovid should be prescribed within five days of symptoms appearing for the best chance of success"

So if they have had symptoms for more than a few days, then knowing or not wont make much of a difference!

Fortunately, while the virus has still been running rampant, the dire side effects seem to have subsided.  In my area, there are now only a dozen in the hospital, with only 3 of those in the ICU.  At the peak, there were over 400 in the hospital and over 125 in the ICU! 

Personally, IF I thought I had it, I would test, if only to know for myself that I might now have the antibodies. 

apl68

Quote from: clean on June 10, 2022, 04:03:20 PM

Personally, IF I thought I had it, I would test, if only to know for myself that I might now have the antibodies.

I would test so as to be able to warn anybody that I might have inadvertently exposed to it.  Just seems like simple decency to me.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

ergative

Quote from: apl68 on June 10, 2022, 04:27:02 PM
Quote from: clean on June 10, 2022, 04:03:20 PM

I would test so as to be able to warn anybody that I might have inadvertently exposed to it.  Just seems like simple decency to me.

Right--and to know if you should isolate. It's one thing to duck out for a carton of milk if you've got a cold, but you shouldn't be doing that if you've got covid.

clean

QuoteRight--and to know if you should isolate. It's one thing to duck out for a carton of milk if you've got a cold, but you shouldn't be doing that if you've got covid.

I wholeheartedly agree. Unfortunately, there are many that do not believe that they SHOULD do anything that they dont want to do!

I was reading some posts on the Cruise Critic site, and there were several who indicated that if they found that they were positive on a cruise, they wouldnt say anything or change anything because they didnt want to have to quarantine, or disrupt their flight plans home!!!

And now the CDC is dropping the requirement to test in bound air passengers!

Fortunately I have had 4 vaccinations now.  I dont know if it will prevent me from catching this illness, but as I wear a mask anytime I go inside a store, and I have not eaten in a restaurant (except while traveling - which was infrequent, and not for a 'vacation')  I hope that I am safe.  But NOT because infected people bother to find our, and even if the news is thrust upon them, take what we would hope to be appropriate precautions (because it would inconvenience them 'and violate their RIGHT to infect others!)

Remember what I have said often on related topics:  "IF YOU are not looking out for YOU, then NO ONE IS!!"

evil_physics_witchcraft

I'm really losing hope about my car. It pisses me off and depresses me at the same time.

Parasaurolophus

NBD, but wow all the same:

We acknowledge receipt of your manuscript titled "Article."

You should expect a reply within six months of today. Please note that comments are sent with rejection letters only when our review takes longer.

I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Humanities can take a year or more.

I once waited two years for a rejection, after it turned out they'd never sent it out for review.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

When it rains, it pours. We have a leak in the basement...

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

clean

Im back at my parents' house again!  My dad has been in the hospital since Friday, but should be discharged tomorrow.

I flew to Orlando, rented a car.  I RENTED a full size car.  I got a Dodge Charger.  Which would be fine, but the  seats have these FiretrUCKING wings that I have discovered can not be adjusted! 

3 weeks ago I was here for my mom's surgery. I RENTED a full size car, but was given an "upgrade" to an SUV... which didnt hold our luggage (we had to put bag in the back seat!)  My bride and I bumped elbows the entire trip! 

It's 3 AM.  My parents are in the hospital, I will try to get the car changed out at a local place because I m not sure that I can drive the FiretrUCKING car back to Orlando! 

Anyone got experience with Avis?  Any ideas how to best handle such lunacy?

(Oh, and as I was dealing with the GATE (the one with the tire spikes) where they confirm that you are the one who is supposed to have the car, I asked, "Are the lights on?"  "Oh, yes" was the lie  reply.  As soon as I got out of the garage lights I could tell they were NOT!  The car behind me flashing their lights supported my guess that the guy lied!