Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Venting Thread

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 07:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: mamselle on June 27, 2022, 05:40:18 PM
Sheesh!!

For your second home, you guys need an igloo....

Very sorry this just keeps dragging on and on....

M.

He had a long day. I'm torn between being irritated and feeling bad for the guy. He was only 15 minutes late. I guess I'm irritable. :P

mamselle

OK, so, that is better.

Dare one ask--was he able to fix it?

ETA: Just saw the other thread.

Good news.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

RatGuy

Quote from: ciao_yall on June 27, 2022, 10:09:44 AM
Quote from: paultuttle on June 27, 2022, 06:12:41 AM
--Paul, who thinks it's curious that the only recently discovered constitutional right based on the 14th amendment that Clarence Thomas DOESN'T want to repeal is the one based on Loving vs. Virginia

Agreed.

The argument made was that Equal Protection Clause of the 14th Ammendment did not apply to interracial marriage because all races were inconvenienced by this... therefore, it was, in fact, Equal Protection.

Of a sort.

My neighbor -- a retired, single graduate of Ole Miss's PhD program in public relations -- has placed a sign in her front yard. It reads "Repeal the 14th Amendment!" and it sits alongside of signs reading "Trump Won! Take Back America!" and "Impeach Biden!" She's the only person in the neighborhood with yard signs (though someone else has a "we support Amazon workers" in a window).

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: mamselle on June 27, 2022, 09:28:11 PM
OK, so, that is better.

Dare one ask--was he able to fix it?

ETA: Just saw the other thread.

Good news.

M.

Yes. I posted in the vinhale thread. We need to buy a new pump and thermostat. We can replace them. We've done both of those things in the past. Kind of ticked that the new thermostat is a piece of crap.

downer

Canvas people: if I am creating a grading rubric, shouldn't the default assumption be that I'm using it for grading? Why do I need to opt in to that?
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

mythbuster

Downer- the reason why is that the grades with the rubric all then to cluster since the points categories are all or nothing. If your rubric has 4 categories for a criteria- there is not the ability to adjust for those a range within that category. So it's the difference between straight letter grades and using a +/- system. If you opt out of using it for grading, it's still there but then you can assign the grade yourself at the end. This allows for a more holistic evaluation of the paper.

downer

Quote from: mythbuster on June 29, 2022, 08:01:50 AM
Downer- the reason why is that the grades with the rubric all then to cluster since the points categories are all or nothing. If your rubric has 4 categories for a criteria- there is not the ability to adjust for those a range within that category. So it's the difference between straight letter grades and using a +/- system. If you opt out of using it for grading, it's still there but then you can assign the grade yourself at the end. This allows for a more holistic evaluation of the paper.

Ah thanks. Makes sense. Their labelling could be more explanatory. I guess I can change it if I feel it is too rigid.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

sinenomine

I got up obscenely early this morning to get to campus for a meeting; it's a gorgeous day and, being on a flexible summer work schedule, I'd much prefer to stay home and work from the patio, but it was a really important meeting. Two of the four people who insisted on holding it didn't show up, so the meeting fizzled out. Pretty annoyed to have upended my day for that!

[Stomping off to the patio with a soothing beverage...]
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

little bongo

To paraphrase William Carlos Williams: "So much depends upon a soothing beverage on the patio after the fizzled meeting."

sinenomine

Quote from: little bongo on June 29, 2022, 12:06:13 PM
To paraphrase William Carlos Williams: "So much depends upon a soothing beverage on the patio after the fizzled meeting."

I love it!
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

little bongo

Thanks! I'm glad my 250th post could be useful.

ohnoes

Quote from: little bongo on June 29, 2022, 12:06:13 PM

The meeting organizers probably also paraphrased* WCM

We have forgotten
the meeting
that was on
our campus

and which
you were probably
dreading
for days

Forgive us
our patios were delightful
so relaxing
and so shaded

*but without the "forgive us" part

sinenomine

Bbmaj7b5

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on June 27, 2022, 05:54:39 PM
Quote from: mamselle on June 27, 2022, 05:40:18 PM
Sheesh!!

For your second home, you guys need an igloo....

Very sorry this just keeps dragging on and on....

M.

He had a long day. I'm torn between being irritated and feeling bad for the guy. He was only 15 minutes late. I guess I'm irritable. :P

That sucks. One of my only karmic victories (other than buying flood insurance two months before a major hurricane) was replacing our A/C unit (some weird boutique unit with a low-speed fan lubricated with Tibetan yak tears) with a bog-standard unit that I made sure was so common that every A/C tech in town has replacement parts in stock. That worked out this summer, where we are closing out June with the highest average temperature in this area since the late 1800s.

My vent: the promised rain from a low pressure system parked offshore of Texas is expected to do a Neo-from-the-Matrix bullet dodge around this town.

clean

Im sick.  (covid positive)  I am dealing with a very young kitty that wont take the bottle.

I got my positive status at 11. I called my family doctor (because my mom and my bride insisted that I do it RIGHT NOW!)
So I called. The receptionist said that I would get a televisit later today.  by 430 no call back to schedule.  SO I called and i was left with the impression that someone forgot to take action on this.

I was happy that the nurse practitioner wold call back in 25 minutes.  That was not the call.  Instead, I got a call from the office manager.  The nurse Practitioner asked the doc, and he relayed through the office manager that I should go to a 'stand alone emergency room'  - not the hospital ER, but a stand alone one because I have a history of pulmonary embolisms.

SO Off I go.  It was not a long wait, or a bad visit.  I was prescribed 2 drugs, but CVS has only one and wont get the other til MONDAY!! 

SO I went back to the office and asked that the Rx be sent somewhere else.  I hope that it was, but Ive not heard anything (as it was after 830 when I got to talk to the doc).

THEN the second guessing starts!  My coworker calls to check on me (really the kitty), and then tells me I should call the doctor back to have her prescribe something else!  Thanks, but I ve already talked to her and I am happy with my treatment plan and YOU DONT KNOW SHIT ABOUT these drugs!!

Then my bride asks what specifically was prescribed!  WHY?  She doesnt know about them either!  (and I had a screaming kitty in my lap and I had dropped the paper to an unreachable spot!)

OH, and my cleaning lady (who we waived off because I am positive) suggested Ivermectin!   

I know Ivermectin (though I dont know how to spell it).  I have actually used it!  Not on me mind you, but we used to have hunting dogs and we used it to worm the dogs! 

oh,  and kitty  was sleeping on my arm and just pooped on me!  also getting some on its newly washed tail!  (it hates to have its tail touched.  I wonder if it has hurt its tail

So the Vent:
IF you dont know about drugs, why are you advising me to second guess the actual MD that DOES? 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader