News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Venting Thread

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 07:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

evil_physics_witchcraft

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

evil_physics_witchcraft

I am so fucking tired of dealing with crazy. Why am I even trying?

Vkw10

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on June 17, 2022, 03:05:38 PM

Because you need a paycheck?
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Vkw10 on June 18, 2022, 02:22:28 PM

There is that, but the crazy I was referring to is my biological family.

dismalist

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on June 18, 2022, 03:43:03 PM
Quote from: Vkw10 on June 18, 2022, 02:22:28 PM

There is that, but the crazy I was referring to is my biological family.

Welcome to the club!
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

jimbogumbo

Could go on the aging parents thread, but not much more I can do. Both my Mother (93) and wife's (90) are seriously fading. Neither would move to a community when they had the chance. Mom has been alone since my Dad died nine years ago; MIL's husband is 92 but still very sharp and with it. Mom has been hospitalized recently, and things are so bad with vision my sister confiscated her car keys with the approval of my other sister and me. Could move to a great place five minutes from sister, but refuses. The other two of us live out of state, so the burden of day to day checking is with the one 45 minutes away. Spouse's mom is in just as bad a shape except for being able to walk without a walker.

Pretty much a nightmare.

mamselle

Who has power of attorney in each case?

Glad the car keys were taken away.

Someone should have grabbed my dad's before they did.

Thankfully no-one was injured but his last accident would have been avoidable.

M. 
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

lightning

I had to go grocery shopping in a different town that is two hours away from my normal place where I normally shop for groceries.

Since I shop at a chain grocery store, I went with familiarity and decided to shop at the same chain store in the different town. Item in my town's chain grocery store: $6.99. Exact same item in the cookie-cutter chain grocery store that is two hours away--similar region, similar economy, similar demographic: $4.99. Another item in my hometown's store: $5.99. Same exact item in chain store two hours away: $3.49. My jaws dropped and stayed dropped as I continued to shop. The list of price variances goes on and on.

I call bullshit with the supply chain/labor shortage/COVID-related excuses that my town's chain uses. This example of inflation is fueled by plain and simple greed. I'm sure there are more examples like this.

mamselle

Base cost is not the only element to be considered in final cost.

Transportation to your area could be more expensive.

Warehouse and retail spaces could cost more.

Workers may be paid more.

The difference could easily be made up by those differences.

I wouldn't call 'foul' just yet.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

lightning

Quote from: mamselle on June 20, 2022, 05:34:28 PM
Base cost is not the only element to be considered in final cost.

Transportation to your area could be more expensive.

Warehouse and retail spaces could cost more.

Workers may be paid more.

The difference could easily be made up by those differences.

I wouldn't call 'foul' just yet.

M.

I'm not calling foul. I'm shopping somewhere else, at a Big Box Super Store, from now on.

clean

There is something to be said for 'stocking up'.

I live a thousand miles from where I grew up. There are several items that I got used to that I can not get in my new area.  However, the opposite is also true. There are several items that are here that are unavailable or unaffordable where I grew up.

(I was with my parents last week because my dad was in the hospital for 5 days and then my uncle died).
IN the first category, I like grits... REAL grits... not 'Quick Grits"  (I like shrimp and grits and you need the full 20 minutes to get the flavors)
I like a kind of Yellow Rice (Dixie Lilly). It is not available here at all.  I would go home and buy out all that they had in the large and small bags (then store them in the fridge or freezer so that the beetles that all rice has, dont hatch.  (Unfortunately, many of the stores that used to carry it, are now closed, and Winn Dixie stopped carrying it!.... The good news is that Dixie Lilly ships!  It is not all that expensive when you buy in bulk once every 18 months or so!

ON the other hand, banannas are $.48 a pound (or was before the Inflation bug bit) here, but closer to $.78 or $.88 a pound there.
Avocados here are less than a dollar for the smaller ones and about $1.25 for the larger ones (at least before the inflation bug bit). 
Corn is now 4 or 5 for $1 here, it was 3 for a $1 there. 

It makes another point in favor of driving home VS flying. ... You can bring back a lot more stuff, or take a lot of goodies with you. 

I keep both a Costco account, Sams Club, and Amazon Prime account.  I have only been to Costco a time or 2, but I use them as a travel agent and save a chunk of money using their services each year to justify the cost.   
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

paultuttle

A nice-looking little elderly church lady with--in retrospect--no morals, upbringing, or fundamental decency opened her door into my 2019 Honda Accord at a nearby Walmart on Mother's Day and then pretended she didn't do it, so I didn't notice that there was a bump the size of a golf ball in the front passenger door quite a while later, when I put together the "huh--she parked, then moved her car and parked again and walked past me without looking at me, wonder why" and "damn, that's a huge bump in my car door."

My car's now in the shop after I waited a month for the appointment. Between $500 and $1500 later, depending on whether the dent removal is truly "paintless," it'll look like no fool ever did that to my nice new(ish) car. Wish me luck on that one, right?

lightning

Quote from: paultuttle on June 21, 2022, 08:18:48 AM
A nice-looking little elderly church lady with--in retrospect--no morals, upbringing, or fundamental decency opened her door into my 2019 Honda Accord at a nearby Walmart on Mother's Day and then pretended she didn't do it, so I didn't notice that there was a bump the size of a golf ball in the front passenger door quite a while later, when I put together the "huh--she parked, then moved her car and parked again and walked past me without looking at me, wonder why" and "damn, that's a huge bump in my car door."

My car's now in the shop after I waited a month for the appointment. Between $500 and $1500 later, depending on whether the dent removal is truly "paintless," it'll look like no fool ever did that to my nice new(ish) car. Wish me luck on that one, right?

There are cameras in store parking lots. Ask the cops to look at the video.

Langue_doc

I had to fill out countless online forms before my visit to the doctor. Physician/surgeon, the forms clearly note that my appointment is for a diagnosis of the left hand and that I am right-handed! I caught him just in time as he was dictating "patient is left-handed".

mamselle

Good thing it wasn't a kidney for donation.

Which happens....

M.