News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Venting Thread

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 07:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

This book I'm refereeing for a very low-tier press is vile.

It's also completely without scholarly merit. But mostly, it's just vile.
I know it's a genus.

Thursday's_Child

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on January 10, 2020, 07:14:14 PM

Time to get out that red pen and really blow off some steam?

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Thursday's_Child on January 11, 2020, 08:58:20 AM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on January 10, 2020, 07:14:14 PM

Time to get out that red pen and really blow off some steam?

Mos def.

But honestly, it's so bad that it's hard to slog through, and hard to summon the wherewithal to even comment. My report will, of course, be even-handed in tone, but... well, I can tell that the author will just ignore the problems I point out. This is clearly a case of a kook from another field deciding to grace us with his Grand Unified Theory of Everything which, of course, does justice to none of the disciplines it claims to unify, and which also happens to be shockingly misogynist, racist, and features a thinly-disguised fascination with child abuse material.

On the plus side, a few years ago this press published a book of very rare maps that I've been coveting ever since, and I can claim that book as a reward for my labours.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Ooohhh...a map person!

I have to get the USGS maps for any new place I visit.

I have the older two-part US map but need the updated one.

The online Boston Public Library's Leventhal collection is a place I can spend hours in.

And medieval maps?

Come to Hereford with me....

;--}

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Thursday's_Child

Quote from: mamselle on January 11, 2020, 12:03:01 PM
Ooohhh...a map person!

I have to get the USGS maps for any new place I visit.

I have the older two-part US map but need the updated one.

The online Boston Public Library's Leventhal collection is a place I can spend hours in.

And medieval maps?

Come to Hereford with me....

;--}

M.

I assume you are familiar with Raven maps?  https://www.ravenmaps.com/  If not, I apologize for perhaps distracting you from other important activities.

mamselle

Uh-ohhhh....(shields eyes with hand).....

Danger, danger, Will Smith!

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Economizer

I have notice some that young folks, many of them writers or journalists, have developed a kind low pitched croaking accompanying their voices as a sort of undertone. This especially when they seem to be speculating about someone or some thing.  Why is this?  Vaping or other smoking?  Atmospheric conditions?  Global warming?  Flavored water,  Starbucks?

Who else would recognize the speech condition.  Language pathologists or Speech therapists maybe?  Other views, comments, or note of recognition of same by others, please respond!
So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

cathwen

Quote from: Economizer on January 12, 2020, 02:55:07 PM
I have notice some that young folks, many of them writers or journalists, have developed a kind low pitched croaking accompanying their voices as a sort of undertone. This especially when they seem to be speculating about someone or some thing.  Why is this?  Vaping or other smoking?  Atmospheric conditions?  Global warming?  Flavored water,  Starbucks?

Who else would recognize the speech condition.  Language pathologists or Speech therapists maybe?  Other views, comments, or note of recognition of same by others, please respond!

This is called vocal fry.  Here is a Wikipedia article, but if you do a search, you'll find other articles as well. 

ergative

Quote from: cathwen on January 12, 2020, 03:07:31 PM
Quote from: Economizer on January 12, 2020, 02:55:07 PM

This is called vocal fry.  Here is a Wikipedia article, but if you do a search, you'll find other articles as well.

Yes.Many languages use exactly this sort of voice quality to distinguish words, in the same way that different pitchs in Chinese tones do. Hmong, for example, makes a distinction between creaky voice and breathy voice that distinguishes words from each other (e.g., po-creaky = to throw; po-breathy = 'grandmother'). It is common to criticize this speaking style, which is characteristic of young, west-coast people, but it is not harmful to your voice, and there is absolutely no objective reason to avoid it, beyond standard old-farts-dislike-how-kids-talk-these-days thinking.

mamselle

Actually (as the article also points out) it can weaken the cords, cause a loss of range, and impair clearer communication over time.

A culture that values or uses that element of speech as a communicative mechanism (as mentioned above) may value it enough not to care about those issues, or even see them as valorous in some way.

But structrual/habitual changes do occur.

So, not "no" affect...and wariness about voice use overall is not just being stodgy.

M.

FishProf

"I need a higher grade for my program" is no basis for a grade appeal.  Just stop.

Also, I now have a major grade inflation issue to deal with (the not-unexpected consequence of adjunctifying the service courses in my department).
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

archaeo42

Don't send me a follow up email THIS AFTERNOON to see if I saw your email from THIS MORNING. Give me at least 24 hours. That request is not time sensitive in any form whatsoever.

(As an aside, I'm going to request that we use this guideline at our staff meeting, barring an actual drop everything and focus on X situation)
"The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate."

the_geneticist

Your desire to turn every situation into a potential negative is really draining.  Yes, things sometimes don't go as planned/hit a block/fail utterly and completely, but it's unkind to say that about everyone's ideas or plans (including your own). 
Sometimes it takes a bit of idealistic/naive optimism/enthusiasm to take risks and get results!

ab_grp

This has been an absolute crap day, starting with a pretty devastating professional blow.  But, on the bright side... I thought I had reached the end of the delicious nonpareils my mom sent me for Christmas (despite only allotting myself two or three mini ones per day), and it turns out there was another bag underneath! I actually am tearing up right now about this.  And I shouldn't say that the day started out as crap, as it started with my very loving and supportive spouse, for whom I am eternally grateful.  And, fortunately, that's how it will end.

mamselle

Sounds like a vinhale.

Glad for your nonpareil spouse and more hidden sweets to enjoy!

M.