News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Venting Thread

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 07:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: ciao_yall on July 06, 2020, 04:57:55 PM
Prepping a class, decided to just use the same book the previous prof used.

18 week semester.

10 chapters in the book.

WHO DOES THAT?????

Depends on the subject matter and how meaty the chapters are.

downer

18 week semester? I have never heard of that. What fresh hell?
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

Cheerful

Quote from: downer on July 07, 2020, 04:06:03 AM
18 week semester? I have never heard of that. What fresh hell?

+1  Thanks for much-needed morning laughter, downer!

Quote from: mamselle on July 06, 2020, 05:33:13 PM
So--chapters don't equal weeks all the time....do they?

+1

sprout

Quarter system here.  It's got to be better than trying to cover 18 chapters in 10 weeks!

OneMoreYear

I had to go into the office today to deal with some data.  When I got home the front door was unlocked. I am positive that I locked the door and deadbolt.  Nothing appears to be missing, although I haven't checked every drawer/cabinet, but I am a little freaked out.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: OneMoreYear on July 08, 2020, 03:05:58 PM
I had to go into the office today to deal with some data.  When I got home the front door was unlocked. I am positive that I locked the door and deadbolt.  Nothing appears to be missing, although I haven't checked every drawer/cabinet, but I am a little freaked out.

:( Understandable. I'd be freaked out too. Hope you're feeling better.

fishbrains

Working with student essays that employ APA format is a living hell right now. Our Library's databases are still in the 6th edition with its citation generator, online citation generators have always produced random Ref. page entries, the Purdue OWL is now in the 7th edition, and students are using textbooks with either one depending on when they bought the book. I mean, f*ckity f*ckity $hit $hit!!!!!!!! There has to be a better way to roll out a new edition!!!!!!! [insert frowny-faced poop emoji here]

Okay, I feel better now.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

ab_grp

Quote from: fishbrains on July 10, 2020, 11:11:27 AM
Working with student essays that employ APA format is a living hell right now. Our Library's databases are still in the 6th edition with its citation generator, online citation generators have always produced random Ref. page entries, the Purdue OWL is now in the 7th edition, and students are using textbooks with either one depending on when they bought the book. I mean, f*ckity f*ckity $hit $hit!!!!!!!! There has to be a better way to roll out a new edition!!!!!!! [insert frowny-faced poop emoji here]

Okay, I feel better now.

Yeah, it's kind of a pain in the neck.  I think last time I looked OWL still had a link to 6th ed. pages, but if the edition is not specified, I guess students will look where they look.  I submitted to a journal using 6th ed. only to find that they had changed to 7th but had not changed the website to say so.  And also they said no page limits, but a word limit was specified on like page 5 of the submission system.  That kind of sucked.  Some of the changes for the 7th ed. make sense while in too many cases it seems like they just go back and forth or come up with weird new rules that are nonintuitive.

fishbrains

Quote from: ab_grp on July 10, 2020, 11:15:21 AM

Okay, I feel better now.

Yeah, it's kind of a pain in the neck.  I think last time I looked OWL still had a link to 6th ed. pages, but if the edition is not specified, I guess students will look where they look.  I submitted to a journal using 6th ed. only to find that they had changed to 7th but had not changed the website to say so.  And also they said no page limits, but a word limit was specified on like page 5 of the submission system.  That kind of sucked.  Some of the changes for the 7th ed. make sense while in too many cases it seems like they just go back and forth or come up with weird new rules that are nonintuitive.

I'm just trying to introduce Comp. I students to the thrills and wonders of APA formatting, so things get a little hairy when they see different versions on what should be authoritative sites.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

ab_grp

Quote from: fishbrains on July 10, 2020, 11:46:54 AM
Quote from: ab_grp on July 10, 2020, 11:15:21 AM

Okay, I feel better now.

I'm just trying to introduce Comp. I students to the thrills and wonders of APA formatting, so things get a little hairy when they see different versions on what should be authoritative sites.

Well, I have enough trouble navigating it myself, so good luck!

Parasaurolophus

I have a hard enough time getting students to give me page numbers for their citations. Actually insisting on a properly formatted list of works cited is far, far beyond the limits of my patience.
I know it's a genus.

apl68

Quote from: ab_grp on July 10, 2020, 11:15:21 AMSome of the changes for the 7th ed. make sense while in too many cases it seems like they just go back and forth or come up with weird new rules that are nonintuitive.

It's called "adding value" for the new edition.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

sonoamused

Okay, I feel better now.

An October rollout is a nightmare for stuff like this - as soon as I saw it was going to happen (the summer of the rollout) I notified all the faculty I work with to update their assignments so students knew what Edition to use.

(not a WSU member by the way)  but students who use 6th edition I point them to this: https://libguides.libraries.wsu.edu/QuickCiteAPA  its less overwhelming then the OWL site, especially for undergrads. 

ab_grp

I've been trying to take care of some paperwork odds and ends that have been on the to do list for too long.  One item required calling a bank to confirm how to handle transferring money from a particular type of restricted account.  I called the number listed for inquiries about that type of account and waited in the queue for 45 minutes only to find that it was actually a different department I needed to speak with, but they would put me right through.  About 30 minutes later, I finally got someone on the line.  I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't actually work there.  He had to be the most unhelpful customer service person I've ever talked to.  I asked about transferring the money, and he said sure, why not? I asked about the restrictions on the account type, and he said he did not understand my request.  I explained about the account type again, and he did not seem to understand at all.  It is a common account type, just has some tax implications and restrictions! Geez.  I asked if I should close the account once the money has been transferred.  Sure, he said. Why not? You can close the account if you want! Finally I just said thanks for all your help.  He said sure.  I said good bye, he said uh and then just sat on the line.  I think he might have been high.  I could use some of what he's using at this point.  Why oh why couldn't it be the specific type of that account that the first department handled? That guy was nice, helpful... argh.   I'm glad they record the calls, just in case.  I know the transfer stuff is probably fine and simple from what I've read online, but I just wanted some confirmation.

evil_physics_witchcraft

I've been feeling ill. Headache (probably stress) and major abdominal issues. I'm gonna be pissed if it's the produce I've been having delivered here. Starting to feel better. I think I need one of those frowny-faced poop emojis. :(

Edit: I will add that something looked suspect, but I ate it anyway. Mea culpa.