News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Venting Thread

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 07:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RatGuy

Quote from: OneMoreYear on July 08, 2020, 03:05:58 PM
I had to go into the office today to deal with some data.  When I got home the front door was unlocked. I am positive that I locked the door and deadbolt.  Nothing appears to be missing, although I haven't checked every drawer/cabinet, but I am a little freaked out.

When I first came to this town, I rented a townhouse that was ostensibly for rich students. As the complex wasn't quite finished (and no students had decided to rent there), I got a good deal. The downside is that there was still occasional construction weirdness. Once I came home from a day of classes, took a nap in the  upstairs bedroom, and came downstairs to find the front door open. While that's the door that opens to the street, everyone used the parking-lot-adjacent back doors. So I imagine some workman entering the place to do whatever, found me sleeping, and decided to flee rather than wake me with a kiss.

Economizer

We've probably got 50,000 k-PHD science teachers in this country (or maybe world) that are comfortable working in science lab settings. Very many of them are on salary this summer. These personnel are already in manageable employment hierarchies. Is there some hurdle to breaking down research tasks in such a way that puts "more feet on the ground" by using them on Coronavirus 19 lab work, data analysis, and info sorting? GET YOUR ASSES TO WORK PEOPLE, WE'VE FOLKS DIEING AND BEING WAYLAYED THAT SHOULD NOT BE!
So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

Parasaurolophus

Discovered some mould on the underside of the mattress this morning, which was just what I needed. Sigh.
I know it's a genus.

ergative

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on July 15, 2020, 10:14:32 AM
Discovered some mould on the underside of the mattress this morning, which was just what I needed. Sigh.

Oh no! I've been carefully ignoring some mold on the curtains in my bedroom, because it's a rental and they're huge and thick and came with the property, and negotiating with the company is just too much to deal with. But I have to scrub it off the walls under the window every so often, and I'm pretty certain it's in the carpet in that side of the room too. But on the mattress does seem to demand attention. I'm so sorry you have to deal with that right now.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: ergative on July 15, 2020, 12:58:48 PM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on July 15, 2020, 10:14:32 AM

Oh no! I've been carefully ignoring some mold on the curtains in my bedroom, because it's a rental and they're huge and thick and came with the property, and negotiating with the company is just too much to deal with. But I have to scrub it off the walls under the window every so often, and I'm pretty certain it's in the carpet in that side of the room too. But on the mattress does seem to demand attention. I'm so sorry you have to deal with that right now.

In fairness, it's not actually a big deal. It's relatively easy to deal with, especially when it's in the early stages. It's just that it makes for a bad start to the day.

The carpet sounds kind of serious. I don't envy you that! Any chance you can actually launder the curtains one by one?
I know it's a genus.

evil_physics_witchcraft

I'm trying to be good and limit my time dealing with crazy demented people, but @#$%^&Y^%$#, I can't deal with this shit anymore.

Economizer

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on July 15, 2020, 03:44:06 PM
I'm trying to be good and limit my time dealing with crazy demented people, but @#$%^&Y^%$#, I can't deal with this shit anymore.

C'mon Sarge, iighten up! It's not good for you to stay like that.
So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Economizer on July 15, 2020, 06:44:19 PM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on July 15, 2020, 03:44:06 PM

C'mon Sarge, iighten up! It's not good for you to stay like that.

True. It's not good for my mental health. But, we're talking about dealing with someone who is really 'Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs' here. Subscribes to every conspiracy theory in the book and regurgitates them at me at will. I'm trying to stay away at this point.

Economizer

Some folks are prone to do that. This particular time begs for it. There are probably buildings full of experts doing it.

My worrying time is in the middle of the night and often causes sleeplessness. An older former homicide detective gave me advice as to calming and going back to sleep. Warm milk!

FishProf

MrsFishProf seems to have Covid.  She is getting tested today (it only took 5 days to schedule).  Smolt and I aalso need to get tested.  I was able to get scheduled for today.  Smolt not until tomorrow.

Same place for us?  Nope.  3 different locations b/c of our health care providers affiliations.   

Same insurance, different groups.  So 3 different test centers in 3 different town.

Lovely.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

ab_grp

Quote from: FishProf on July 20, 2020, 07:52:18 AM
MrsFishProf seems to have Covid.  She is getting tested today (it only took 5 days to schedule).  Smolt and I aalso need to get tested.  I was able to get scheduled for today.  Smolt not until tomorrow.

Same place for us?  Nope.  3 different locations b/c of our health care providers affiliations.   

Same insurance, different groups.  So 3 different test centers in 3 different town.

Lovely.

I hope your tests all come back negative but am sorry you have to deal with so much red tape and inconvenience to get tested in the first place. 

marshwiggle

Quote from: ab_grp on July 20, 2020, 08:35:07 AM

Lovely.

I hope your tests all come back negative but am sorry you have to deal with so much red tape and inconvenience to get tested in the first place.

As a Canadian, the more I learn of the American healthcare system the more I'm amazed by how bizarre it is. I thought having things handled by the private sector instead of the public sector was supposed to reduce red tape and bureaucracy.
It takes so little to be above average.

Cheerful

Lovely.

You have every justification to vent away, FishProf.  Terrible bureaucracy.  Wishing your family good health and brighter days.

ciao_yall

Quote from: marshwiggle on July 20, 2020, 08:39:53 AM
Quote from: ab_grp on July 20, 2020, 08:35:07 AM

Lovely.

As a Canadian, the more I learn of the American healthcare system the more I'm amazed by how bizarre it is. I thought having things handled by the private sector instead of the public sector was supposed to reduce red tape and bureaucracy.

Kind of the opposite. If someone can figure out a way to jump into a process and make some money, then people figure out a way to do it.

AmLitHist

Sending good thoughts and best wishes to you all, FishProf.