News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Venting Thread

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 07:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: FishProf on July 20, 2020, 07:52:18 AM
MrsFishProf seems to have Covid.  She is getting tested today (it only took 5 days to schedule).  Smolt and I aalso need to get tested.  I was able to get scheduled for today.  Smolt not until tomorrow.

Same place for us?  Nope.  3 different locations b/c of our health care providers affiliations.   

Same insurance, different groups.  So 3 different test centers in 3 different town.

Lovely.

I'm sorry to hear this FishProf. I hope all goes well.

Parasaurolophus

More lament than vent, but I washed my mp3 player today. I checked all my pockets, except for the pair of pyjama pants I decided to throw in at the last minute. I've had the thing since 2008. For a couple years I used a newer one, but it crapped out and the old one kept going.

It's made worse by the fact that just yesterday, I thought about getting a new one then decided against it because this one was still in such great shape. Alas!

(It might survive once it's dried out. We'll see.)
I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on July 20, 2020, 02:46:09 PM
More lament than vent, but I washed my mp3 player today. I checked all my pockets, except for the pair of pyjama pants I decided to throw in at the last minute. I've had the thing since 2008. For a couple years I used a newer one, but it crapped out and the old one kept going.

It's made worse by the fact that just yesterday, I thought about getting a new one then decided against it because this one was still in such great shape. Alas!

(It might survive once it's dried out. We'll see.)

Oh no! I will cross my fingers that it has survived. 

FishProf

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on July 20, 2020, 10:51:40 AM
MrsFishProf seems to have Covid.  She is getting tested today (it only took 5 days to schedule).  Smolt and I aalso need to get tested.  I was able to get scheduled for today.  Smolt not until tomorrow.

Same place for us?  Nope.  3 different locations b/c of our health care providers affiliations.   

Same insurance, different groups.  So 3 different test centers in 3 different town.

Lovely.

Thanks.  I have to concur with Polly - worst 5 seconds of my day.

An the plus side (?), MrsFishProf may in fact have a post surgical abscess that is causing the symptoms, rather than Covid.  What a strange thing to hope for...
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: FishProf on July 20, 2020, 05:26:52 PM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on July 20, 2020, 10:51:40 AM

Lovely.

Thanks.  I have to concur with Polly - worst 5 seconds of my day.

An the plus side (?), MrsFishProf may in fact have a post surgical abscess that is causing the symptoms, rather than Covid.  What a strange thing to hope for...

Yikes. Sending good vibes.

kaysixteen

Indeed, one wonders how most Canadians, and for that matter most Europeans, can right about now be doing much of anything other than cringe in a pathetic mixture of horror and sympathy, at the terrifyingly incompetent and inadequate, and vastly overpriced, nature of the American 'health care' system.

downer

Quote from: kaysixteen on July 20, 2020, 06:54:49 PM
Indeed, one wonders how most Canadians, and for that matter most Europeans, can right about now be doing much of anything other than cringe in a pathetic mixture of horror and sympathy, at the terrifyingly incompetent and inadequate, and vastly overpriced, nature of the American 'health care' system.

What amazes me is that Americans put up with what they have. I guess some believe it is a good system because they don't know any better and they have heard some politician tell them it is the best in the world because it is American, or some similiar nonsense. But most people who have had to deal with insurance company nonsense know what a pile of BS it all is. In terms of what impacts people's lives, it must major. Why aren't people storming their capitols about it? Regarding the number of lives lost, the impact on quality of life, and racial disparities, it's a bigger issue than most that got a lot more recent publicity.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: downer on July 21, 2020, 09:11:48 AM

What amazes me is that Americans put up with what they have. I guess some believe it is a good system because they don't know any better and they have heard some politician tell them it is the best in the world because it is American, or some similiar nonsense. But most people who have had to deal with insurance company nonsense know what a pile of BS it all is. In terms of what impacts people's lives, it must major. Why aren't people storming their capitols about it? Regarding the number of lives lost, the impact on quality of life, and racial disparities, it's a bigger issue than most that got a lot more recent publicity.

There is a major political party that is preventing health care reform in this country and it has convinced their followers that health care is not a human right.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on July 21, 2020, 09:35:02 AM

There is a major political party that is preventing health care reform in this country and it has convinced their followers that health care is not a human right.

And then there's the Republican death cult...
I know it's a genus.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on July 21, 2020, 09:47:17 AM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on July 21, 2020, 09:35:02 AM

And then there's the Republican death cult...

I thought that's what we were talking about.

Parasaurolophus

Yes. I just couldn't resist the jab at the significant chunk of the Democratic party that voices support for health care as a human right and then does everything it can to undermine its provision as a human right.
I know it's a genus.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on July 21, 2020, 10:03:06 AM
Yes. I just couldn't resist the jab at the significant chunk of the Democratic party that voices support for health care as a human right and then does everything it can to undermine its provision as a human right.

Point. It's sad that there are so few politicians (if any?) who really care about representing their districts. Too much fighting, money, corruption. Yuck.

apl68

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on July 21, 2020, 10:12:38 AM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on July 21, 2020, 10:03:06 AM

Point. It's sad that there are so few politicians (if any?) who really care about representing their districts. Too much fighting, money, corruption. Yuck.

That widespread distrust of government is the main reason why so many Americans are so fiercely resistant to the idea of greater government intervention in health care.  They're afraid of making a bad situation even worse.  Especially senior citizens who are frightened that better government medical care for other sectors of society will come at the expense of the heavy government subsidies that they already have.  A lot of zero-sum thinking there.

I (and I suspect a lot of others) have just reached a point at which it's hard to see how further government intervention could be worse than what we already have.
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

FishProf

So many places this could go, and I am more defeatedly reporting than venting, but here is the Saga.

1) MrsFishProf (who has has a 2020 from hell in non-CV19 ways) starts (Wednesday) to exhibit some Covish symptoms (fever, chills, aches, headache) but nothing definitive as either flu or CV19.  However, when you hear hooves outside your office, assume horses, not Zebras.  CV19 is most likley.

2) But, says I, maybe your surgical site is infected?  That would also cause many/most of your symptoms.   Check wound.  Not obviously infected.  CV19 still leads the pack.

3) Teledoc visit Thursday am.  Yup.  Need to get tested.  Doc will request.  Testing center (Site 1) will schedule w/in 48 hours.  In meantime, MFP isolates.

4) Friday, nothing.

5) Saturday, nothing.

6) Sunday pm, appt scheduled for Monday.   Hmmm, Maybe Fishprof and Smolt should get tested too?

7) Monday am, Fishprofs Doc says yes get tested.  Go to Site 2, today (much faster than MFP).

8) Smolt also to get tested says pediadoc.  Go to Site 3 tomorrow between 8 and 12.

9) Take MFP to testing center.  Sit outside and watch nurses, sans masks, walk in carrying take-out lunch for (presumably) rest of staff.   Both nurses exhibit comorbidity.  SRSL? WTF?  My state requires masks when out in public.  MFP gets brain swabbed for 10 seconds.  Total time at testing center: 35min.  Results: 3-5d.

10) Fishprof to Test Center 2.  Drive up tent.  Full masks, face shields, super professional and organized.  Brain swabbed for 5 seconds. Total time at testing center: 5 min.  Results: 5-7d.

11) Monday evening.  MFP needs help changing wound packing.  Probing wound discovers and opens additional abscess cavity.  This is definitely infected.  Take photo and send to MFP's surgeon.

12a) This morning, arrive at Site 3 for Smolt test.  Huge lines.  Smolt gets spit test.  Total time at Testing center, 4 HOURS 45min.  Results: 24-48h.

12b) Meanwhile, MFP hears from Surgeon.  Yes, please come in.  Wait, suspected CV19?!  Picture reviewed.
That is definitely infected.  Don't come in.  Will prescribe super antibiotic dose.   Begin 4 hours of back and forth b/w Surgeon who wrote scrip w/ mismatched days/doses/pill counts, and pharmacy which is undergoing audit at the moment.

13) Fishprof and Smolt finally procure meds (and ice cream) and return home.

Conclusion, ONE insurance company, 3 doctors in 3 networks, 3 tests in two modalities, and no consistency in procedure, wait time or results expected time.

Oh yeah, and it looks like CV19 has faded in the back stretch and is no longer the most likely candidate. 

Sheesh.

tl;dr = Getting the family covid-tested is a huge hassle, and probably not necessary anyway.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

apl68

On the plus side, it looks like somebody got ice cream.
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.