News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Venting Thread

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 07:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

evil_physics_witchcraft

I pulled something in my back, or pinched a nerve, or have a cyst, but whatever the hell it is- it !@#$%$$%#$@ing hurts like a @#$@#$.

I thought this weekend would be productive, but it seems like I'm slogging through mud in a hurricane-force gale.

mamselle

OOOouuuuccchhhh!!!!!

Sorry to hear that. No fun at all.

I've only had it happen twice, but it's indeed debilitating and memorable.

I hope you find the best solution for yourself soon....there can be so many different causes and resolutions.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: mamselle on November 01, 2020, 03:57:10 PM
OOOouuuuccchhhh!!!!!

Sorry to hear that. No fun at all.

I've only had it happen twice, but it's indeed debilitating and memorable.

I hope you find the best solution for yourself soon....there can be so many different causes and resolutions.

M.
Thanks Mamselle. It's slowly getting better. <3.

ergative

Zoom family 'baby sprinkle', to celebrate birth of new cousin. There were multiple small children and all anyone wanted to do was try to try to talk to them. The kids were 2-3, barely verbal, and there were connection problems, and so I got to spend 30 minutes listening to my parents and aunts and uncles begging the children to comment on whether the new baby sibling pooped a lot, and similar scintillating topics of conversation. It was especially excruciating because of the zoom format, where only one person can talk at one. In a proper family gathering I can step back and start chatting with someone else about something more interesting, like Star Trek. (I fully recognize that many people would prefer to hear toddlers lisping about poop than me talking about Star Trek.)

About thirty minutes in when even the proud grandparents started flagging in their efforts to elicit responses from the grandkids, I asked what people had been reading recently. Then just as that was taking off we hit the 40 minute limit.

The host sent around by email a new link to continue the conversation. I did not click it.

FishProf

Quote from: ergative on November 02, 2020, 01:43:22 AM
I fully recognize that many people would prefer to hear toddlers lisping about poop than me talking about Star Trek.

Distinction without a difference.

(Ducks.  Runs.)
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

mamselle

Quote from: ergative on November 02, 2020, 01:43:22 AM
Zoom family 'baby sprinkle', to celebrate birth of new cousin. There were multiple small children and all anyone wanted to do was try to try to talk to them. The kids were 2-3, barely verbal, and there were connection problems, and so I got to spend 30 minutes listening to my parents and aunts and uncles begging the children to comment on whether the new baby sibling pooped a lot, and similar scintillating topics of conversation. It was especially excruciating because of the zoom format, where only one person can talk at one. In a proper family gathering I can step back and start chatting with someone else about something more interesting, like Star Trek. (I fully recognize that many people would prefer to hear toddlers lisping about poop than me talking about Star Trek.)

About thirty minutes in when even the proud grandparents started flagging in their efforts to elicit responses from the grandkids, I asked what people had been reading recently. Then just as that was taking off we hit the 40 minute limit.

The host sent around by email a new link to continue the conversation. I did not click it.

Too bad no-one thought to set up Breakout rooms.

You could have gone there for your Star Trek chat and given the lisping kids a miss all the way around.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

RatGuy

I can't find my leather bomber jacket. You know, the one that my wife bought me for our anniversary a few years ago. The one that I haven't worn since before the quarantine started. If I can't find it soon then I might simply throw up from sadness and guilt over losing it.

ab_grp

Quote from: RatGuy on November 02, 2020, 08:37:12 AM
I can't find my leather bomber jacket. You know, the one that my wife bought me for our anniversary a few years ago. The one that I haven't worn since before the quarantine started. If I can't find it soon then I might simply throw up from sadness and guilt over losing it.

My mom realized the other day that she hadn't seen her watch since early in the spring (she has had that watch for, I think, as long as I've been alive) since she doesn't really go out anymore.  But sure enough, she moved something while taking care of other tasks, and there it was.  I wish the same for you, thought it might be a little harder for the jacket to be hiding under something.  Sending jacket-finding vibes!

Langue_doc

My car has been in the shop for over a week now. The rental didn't work out because the company no longer picks up or drops off their customers. According to the shop and the insurance website, the car should be ready tomorrow. I'm now waiting for the shop to let me know what time I can pick up the car.  Then I'll have to find a kind neighbor to drive me to the shop late afternoon on Election day. I am not getting into an Uber or a cab, not in my neck of the woods. I'm not sure if the neighbors would want to drive late afternoon tomorrow. On the bright side, the polling place is walking distance, unlike the location for early voting.

science.expat

Quote from: ab_grp on November 02, 2020, 08:42:53 AM
Quote from: RatGuy on November 02, 2020, 08:37:12 AM

My mom realized the other day that she hadn't seen her watch since early in the spring (she has had that watch for, I think, as long as I've been alive) since she doesn't really go out anymore.  But sure enough, she moved something while taking care of other tasks, and there it was.  I wish the same for you, thought it might be a little harder for the jacket to be hiding under something.  Sending jacket-finding vibes!

I've had a pair of shorts and good t'shirt go similarly missing. I hope I find them soon...

clean

QuoteI can't find my leather bomber jacket.

QuoteI've had a pair of shorts and good t'shirt go similarly missing. I hope I find them soon...

We must be nearing The End of Days... The Vortex is widening!  It used to just suck up socks, but now shorts, shirts, and a bomber jacket!!

The Horsemen of the Apocalypse Will look cool in bomber jackets!!   
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Langue_doc

I'm missing a favorite sweater. Rather uncool for the horsemen of the apocalypse.

FishProf

Why do some people INSIST on being hostile and aggressive?  From the get-go in any conversation.  NOBODY likes YOU!  Not because you are right, or harder working, or smarter - or any other BS you tell yourself.  Because you are MEAN.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

mamselle

Quote from: FishProf on November 03, 2020, 06:45:26 AM
Why do some people INSIST on being hostile and aggressive?  From the get-go in any conversation.  NOBODY likes YOU!  Not because you are right, or harder working, or smarter - or any other BS you tell yourself.  Because you are MEAN.

Sad to say, I know of folks to whom that applies as well.

Entering into that dynamic with any correctives is so hard because the outer shell of denial prevents healing from happening.

The choice to be mean can be unlearned, but there is a substructure beneath it that must be ventilated and softened.

And the individuals themselves are usually unhappy and may not ever understand that it's the result of their own choices.

I'm sorry you're having to deal with that kind of a situation.

M.

joeroberts

Is here a good place to just dump that I'm in a funk? Or should I do that elsewhere? Just looking for some friends, I think. And some chit-chat.