News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Venting Thread

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 07:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

There was a note in my AM newsreel (EST) that Google and other systems were suddenly hit with a system failure earlier in the AM.

I wonder if that could have made some calendar somewhere re-set itself, confusing your time-stamp setup?

Just a thought...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Puget

Quote from: mamselle on December 14, 2020, 04:10:13 PM
There was a note in my AM newsreel (EST) that Google and other systems were suddenly hit with a system failure earlier in the AM.

I wonder if that could have made some calendar somewhere re-set itself, confusing your time-stamp setup?

Just a thought...

M.

Good thought but nope, problems turned out to be a server failure that was just so unlucky as to have happened in the middle of our exam, causing the LMS to lose time synching.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Cheerful

Quote from: Cheerful on December 11, 2020, 07:32:26 PM
The "Priority Mail" package I'm awaiting is on Day 9 of its journey.  It made it out of the sorting facility and has now departed the distribution center.

Package update, Day 13:  "Label Created, not yet in system."  : - |

dinomom

Just found this thread, wish I had seen it before!

I need to vent because:
(a) my department chair schedules meetings without consulting anyone about the time and then when you ask for clarification they just change the time the night before the meeting
(b) my department chair violated policies for reappointments currently in process in my department
(c) the provost is unlikely to do anything because said department chair threatens to sue the institution when things don't go their way

I'm working on getting (b) resolved but don't have high hopes
there are just no rules at my institution.

Langue_doc

Quote from: Cheerful on December 15, 2020, 09:59:04 AM
The "Priority Mail" package I'm awaiting is on Day 9 of its journey.  It made it out of the sorting facility and has now departed the distribution center.

My latest package vent: shipment from Amazon seems to be traipsing between Dallas and Arlington, and then back to Dallas in a never-ending loop. I hope the package has left Dallas for good and is on its way to me. I couldn't make this up, however hard I tried.

Day 1, Saturday, December 12
Package has shipped
11:22 AM arrived at a carrier facility Dallas, TX US

Day 2, Sunday, December 13
12:22 PM Package arrived at a carrier facility Arlington, TX US

Day 3, Monday, December 14
1:29 PM Package has left the carrier facility Arlington, TX US
2:08 PM Package arrived at a carrier facility Dallas, TX US
5:14 Package has left the carrier facility Dallas, TX US

science.expat

Wow!

Unrelated and from an Aussie perspective, admittedly very different from the US:

3 Covid cases in Sydney today! After weeks of no community transmission in Australia.

apl68

Quote from: science.expat on December 15, 2020, 11:59:03 PM
Wow!

Unrelated and from an Aussie perspective, admittedly very different from the US:

3 Covid cases in Sydney today! After weeks of no community transmission in Australia.

I guess an island is a good place to be in a pandemic.
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

waterboy

Listening to a regional advisory group with lots of academics. Does no one have the ability to be succinct? Gah!
"I know you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure that what you heard was not what I meant."

Langue_doc

Quote from: apl68 on December 16, 2020, 06:20:35 AM
Quote from: science.expat on December 15, 2020, 11:59:03 PM
Wow!

I guess an island is a good place to be in a pandemic.

Except for the thoroughly incompetent, who crash, uninvited, and then think they gamed the system.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/15/world/europe/jet-ski-isle-of-man-dale-mclaughlan.html?action=click&module=Latest&pgtype=Homepage

Cheerful

Quote from: Langue_doc on December 15, 2020, 07:13:18 PM
Quote from: Cheerful on December 15, 2020, 09:59:04 AM

My latest package vent: shipment from Amazon seems to be traipsing between Dallas and Arlington, and then back to Dallas in a never-ending loop. I hope the package has left Dallas for good and is on its way to me. I couldn't make this up, however hard I tried.

Day 1, Saturday, December 12
Package has shipped
11:22 AM arrived at a carrier facility Dallas, TX US

Day 2, Sunday, December 13
12:22 PM Package arrived at a carrier facility Arlington, TX US

Day 3, Monday, December 14
1:29 PM Package has left the carrier facility Arlington, TX US
2:08 PM Package arrived at a carrier facility Dallas, TX US
5:14 Package has left the carrier facility Dallas, TX US

Package received in good shape.  Part of the bar code had a black mark on it, probably why final tracking didn't work.  I still love USPS.  I know they're working extremely hard under impossible conditions.

Hope your package made it out if its Arlington-Dallas loop, Langue_ doc.

Langue_doc

Cheerful, glad to hear that your package made it in good shape. Mine seems to have traveled across several states, most likely by air. It's scheduled to get here by tomorrow, so I'm not too worried about it.

I do agree that the post office workers have to put up with impossible conditions and little or no support from the administration.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Unrelated.

I'm so frustrated that I started crying, just to let off steam. My doctors aren't getting back to me and I've been in mild, but disconcerting pain for the past three weeks. What the hell?

Cheerful

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on December 17, 2020, 07:04:33 PM
Unrelated.

I'm so frustrated that I started crying, just to let off steam. My doctors aren't getting back to me and I've been in mild, but disconcerting pain for the past three weeks. What the hell?

Sorry e_p_w, hope you can de-stress.  Try to get distracted.  Things will work out.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Cheerful on December 17, 2020, 07:09:28 PM
Unrelated.

Sorry e_p_w, hope you can de-stress.  Try to get distracted.  Things will work out.

Thanks Cheerful. That's my current plan. I'm already working on my classes for next semester.

ab_grp

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on December 17, 2020, 08:16:11 PM
Quote from: Cheerful on December 17, 2020, 07:09:28 PM
Unrelated.

Thanks Cheerful. That's my current plan. I'm already working on my classes for next semester.

I hope your doctors get back to you and the pain goes away! That sounds awful and frustrating.