News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Dog to English Translator

Started by archaeo42, May 21, 2019, 05:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

archaeo42

Archaeodog did not lose any teeth thankfully. However he was at the vet all day. Spouse and I were a little miffed because we kept having to call them for updates. There was a dental emergency which meant he got bumped towards mid-afternoon. A call then would have been nice since around noon we were told he was next so by 4:30 when we'd heard nothing we were a bit nervous.

He is acting pretty weird this morning. It's mostly from his separation anxiety though.
"The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate."

Thursday's_Child

Skritches to Archaeodog - I hope he's feeling better today.

I don't thing there's ever really a full stop to shedding, but it does get a lot heavier at the start of warm weather and increases even more once it gets consistently hot. 

After pup has been outside a while he flops on the linoleum in the most awkward posture - all legs out to their respective side in a way that makes me wonder about the health of his hip joints - so that the maximum amount of chest & belly is in contact with the cool floor.  Scamp, the need for this sort of heat transfer may explain the extra shedding by your pup.

mamselle

The leg-splayed position is to keep their tummies cool and reflects shallow hip sockets, nothing bad.

If a human ballet dancer has them, they're ecstatic, because it means a high extension and a lot of flexibility.

If the joint is seriously stressed, it c-aaa--nnn lead to displacement/dislocation, but that's not very common in most people/animals (there are those who are prone to it, though, so it's something to have in mind).

We used to call our dog a "Frog-dog" because that was her happiest position...head down, legs all a-splay, comfy.

I'm smiling now, remembering her.

She was a sweet, if at times goofy, character.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

mamselle

Reviving this thread....mods, can it be merged with the recently started one?

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

apl68

Quote from: mamselle on August 20, 2019, 10:24:11 AM
The leg-splayed position is to keep their tummies cool and reflects shallow hip sockets, nothing bad.

If a human ballet dancer has them, they're ecstatic, because it means a high extension and a lot of flexibility.

If the joint is seriously stressed, it c-aaa--nnn lead to displacement/dislocation, but that's not very common in most people/animals (there are those who are prone to it, though, so it's something to have in mind).

We used to call our dog a "Frog-dog" because that was her happiest position...head down, legs all a-splay, comfy.

I'm smiling now, remembering her.

She was a sweet, if at times goofy, character.

M.

Our poodles used to get in the "frog-dog" position quite a bit. 

In recent years my parents have had chihuahuas, whose favorite position (especially the first one) seems to be head down, rear end in the air.  In our family it's known euphemistically as "showing his good side."
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

nebo113

Quote from: mamselle on January 03, 2020, 12:03:08 PM
Reviving this thread....mods, can it be merged with the recently started one?

M.

Thanks! Mods, please merge.

San Joaquin

I need a very small t-shirt for my Jack-Chi that is labeled "Rodent Wrangler".

mamselle

Oh, dear...another 'gift mouse?'

M.

San Joaquin

We saw a vole or a shrew in the bushes on our walk out, and the resulting excitement was re-enacted repeatedly, with verve and hot sauce, tossing & pouncing, using our now-hairless & gutless favorite toy, Mr. Mouse.  My hero.

archaeo42

When I let the dogs out for their last pee break of the night, in-law GSP completely missed the rabbit sitting in a spot she likes to frequent all the time. She was looking in the exact opposite direction. The rabbit froze for awhile and then thankfully scampered off. We always root for the rabbits to escape our yard. None of the humans want a dead bunny.

Archaeodog has been getting stiffer and stiffer in his hind legs/hips. He's got a vet appointment on Thursday. We both figure it's arthritis and I hope that's actually the case. In-law GSP has higher than usual liver numbers so she's on some additional medication. This morning and last Friday she vomited some bile. We'll be asking on Thursday if this could be a side effect from her medication...or somehow related to her liver functioning. Oh the joy of elderly dogs.

mamselle

I recall my aunt's ancient little white terrier-poodle-cocker mix used to have really bad arthritis in her back legs....she'd cry out if you bumped her, let alone pick her up.

The solution for her (per the vet's instructions) was a half-an-aspirin rolled up in cheese (which she loved). It worked rather quickly, as I recall, although finally it stopped having an effect. She was 12 or 13 when she died.

M.

apl68

That household in the neighborhood whose dogs have been escaping through a hole in the fence has finally fixed the hole.  I was starting to get worried.  The dogs hadn't been trying to attack me on my morning walks, but they had been barking at me as I passed by.  I was seriously injured in a dog attack some months back (Four broken bones and a broken lung), and have been leery of potentially hostile dogs ever since.

mamselle

EEk, I don't recall knowing about that--very sorry to hear of it!!

How are you doing now?

M.

archaeo42

Quote from: apl68 on January 13, 2020, 01:04:12 PM
That household in the neighborhood whose dogs have been escaping through a hole in the fence has finally fixed the hole.  I was starting to get worried.  The dogs hadn't been trying to attack me on my morning walks, but they had been barking at me as I passed by.  I was seriously injured in a dog attack some months back (Four broken bones and a broken lung), and have been leery of potentially hostile dogs ever since.

That's awful. I'm so sorry.

apl68

Quote from: mamselle on January 13, 2020, 04:12:12 PM
EEk, I don't recall knowing about that--very sorry to hear of it!!

How are you doing now?

M.

I'm okay now, more or less.  I have yet to regain most of my upper body strength.  I still can't sleep on the left side.  The right side was already having problems due to a rotater cuff issue, so I just don't sleep very well at all any more.  I'm still doing physical therapy exercises to try to improve both shoulders.