Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Dog to English Translator

Started by archaeo42, May 21, 2019, 05:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: mamselle on March 18, 2020, 04:34:25 PM
Oohhh....very sorry to hear that.

Nothing fills the empty spot, not even a new dog (they turn around three times and curl up into a new place in our hearts)...but it can hurt less over time.

All good thoughts and wishes for peace amidst the pain.

M.

Thanks Mamselle.

aside

I'm so sorry for your loss.  Losing a longtime companion can be such a heavy load to bear, and you have my sympathy.

archaeo42

"The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate."

nebo113

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on March 18, 2020, 02:48:47 PM
We lost our 14 year old dog today and it has been hard to deal with much of anything.

My 16 year old went over the rainbow bridge in December.  My heart is with you.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Thanks everyone. So sorry for your loss, Nebo.

apostrophe

Virtual hugs are still safe, luckily. I'm very sorry.

apl68

A dog howls nearby
Surely unnecessary
On this lovely day
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

Thursday's_Child

Ask not why dogs howl
Their senses are so acute
Own your ignorance

apl68

Quote from: Thursday's_Child on April 02, 2020, 07:46:43 AM
Ask not why dogs howl
Own your ignorance

Am now feeling suitably chastened....

Thursday's_Child

Quote from: apl68 on April 02, 2020, 08:27:36 AM
Ask not why dogs howl
Own your ignorance

Oops - online klutziness strikes again!  That wasn't aimed at you.

apl68

Quote from: Thursday's_Child on April 02, 2020, 08:30:44 AM
Ask not why dogs howl
Own your ignorance

Well, it is true--we are often ignorant of what is setting a dog off.  In the case of the dog that inspired the haiku above, I suspect he was howling because I was walking down "his" street.

nebo113

Quote from: apl68 on April 02, 2020, 10:40:00 AM
Quote from: Thursday's_Child on April 02, 2020, 08:30:44 AM
Ask not why dogs howl
Own your ignorance

Well, it is true--we are often ignorant of what is setting a dog off.  In the case of the dog that inspired the haiku above, I suspect he was howling because I was walking down "his" street.

Oh, I assumed you were "haikuing" my canine.

AmLitHist

Kid #1 has a GSD puppy, 13 weeks old; she got him when he was 5 weeks.  Aside from the obvious challenges (growing like a weed, feet the size of gunboats, small apartment, etc.) she's having problems stopping his biting.  I think it's likely because she didn't nip it in the bud (sorry) when she first got him, but now he's getting big and she can't just get him to stop on a dime with it.  I keep telling her she needs strict consistency and patience with the "no" whenever he starts, but other ideas?  I worked with him about an hour the other day when she had him at my house, and he knocked it off pretty quickly, but I'm used to being the crabby mom (and she's not). I'm thinking she's more of a pal than an alpha, which is kind of giving him free rein, until she wants to be the alpha, and he just doesn't get the difference--in other words, it's her that needs training as much as/more than he does.

Also, he's got gunky ears and will not let her do the meds.  She was over with him this morning and finally got frustrated with him and me and walked out.  He's got to get those ears cleaned out--suggestions?  (He tries to bite.  I'm ready to try the cat burrito thing with a heavy towel, and a handkerchief around the long nose, if we have to.) Is there an easier way?

mamselle

Are you anywhere near a vet's office whose assistants are able to make house calls?

They might be able to give him a mild sedation to clean the ears the first time (like labs, their large, deeply channeled ears are prone to infection, so it's not a small matter, you're right to be concerned).

They can often also do some teaching demonstrations (while he's knocked out) about ways of restraining and guiding him into better acceptance of necessary care.

Might be a bit pricey, but if you got the information (and maybe a gentle muzzle or other device) needed to do it on an ongoing basis, it could be worth it.

And you're right, the owner has to be trained as much as (sometimes more than) the dog.

If she's conveying the least bit of uncertainty, lack of control, or giving off "fear smells" the dog will know and respond by pushing the boundaries as far as possible.

Some training classes for both of them might be a good early holiday present...the 4th of July is just around the corner...

;--}

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

AmLitHist

All things I was thinking, too, Mamselle.  The dog listens to me and does what I tell him--I broke him of nipping at her and of jumping up, in about 20 minutes.  I don't smack, but I tell him off, and he sits and looks appropriately sad.  He still likes me, though.

She had him at the vet a couple of weeks ago, which may have set off the biting and the ear issues:  because of the virus, they were coming to get dogs in the parking lot and not letting owners come in with them.  He'd been to the vet's office a number of times when she first got him, to show him off, and for his first puppy visit.  But she's always been right there with him; this last time, she wasn't, and he also got his ears looked at, so he's probably got a couple of things going on in his little head.

She called me awhile ago and said she finally got both ears cleaned, and he's down for a nap now.  So there's that, at least.