News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Dog to English Translator

Started by archaeo42, May 21, 2019, 05:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nebo113

My massage person works from her home.  She recently was acquired by a 4 month old mutt....a large 4 month old mutt.  A large, friendly 4 month old mutt.  She is preparing him to be a therapy dog, so, when possible, he stays in the room when she is working with a client.

Unfortunately, one of her clients (me) finds the mutt irresistible.  He jumped up on the massage table with me and we rolled around (as much as we could on something a bit narrower than a single bed), with me laughing joyfully, and continuing to laugh and giggle after she made him get off and put him in his crate in another room. 

As I left, I told her that next time I would behave, lest she crate me!

She said she doubted good behavior was possible on my part!

apl68

For some years now I've been seeing a small dog named Little Man.  He belongs to an older woman who trusts him to stay outside in the front yard by himself.  I used to walk by the house every day going to and from work.  He just watched me go by, and hardly ever barked for any reason.  After I moved to a different house in town my walking habits changed, and for several years I almost never saw Little Man.  The year before last my habits changed again, and I started passing by regularly again, and began occasionally seeing him.  He's now showing serious signs of age.

Last year I finally had a chance to ask his owner about him.  She said that she had gotten him about twelve years earlier as an adult rescue dog.  She believed that he was fifteen or sixteen.  He was now deaf.

That was the better part of a year ago.  I still see Little Man now and then.  Sometimes he seems surprisingly spry.  In between sightings I start to wonder whether he has died.  Then I see him again.  The most recent sighting was only a couple of days ago.  Within the last few months I've seen him as far as two or three blocks from home.  He hangs around with a larger and not quite as old dog known around the neighborhood as The Old Lady.  I see The Old Lady more often.
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

mamselle

Quote from: nebo113 on January 20, 2022, 06:45:26 AM
My massage person works from her home.  She recently was acquired by a 4 month old mutt....a large 4 month old mutt.  A large, friendly 4 month old mutt.  She is preparing him to be a therapy dog, so, when possible, he stays in the room when she is working with a client.

Unfortunately, one of her clients (me) finds the mutt irresistible.  He jumped up on the massage table with me and we rolled around (as much as we could on something a bit narrower than a single bed), with me laughing joyfully, and continuing to laugh and giggle after she made him get off and put him in his crate in another room. 

As I left, I told her that next time I would behave, lest she crate me!

She said she doubted good behavior was possible on my part!

Clearly he understands one of the tasks of a therapy dog, to pick up on individual needs for a smile and provide the occasions for them!

He sounds wonderful.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

aside

Quote from: apl68 on January 20, 2022, 07:28:47 AM
Last year I finally had a chance to ask his owner about him.  She said that she had gotten him about twelve years earlier as an adult rescue dog.  She believed that he was fifteen or sixteen.  He was now deaf.

Your post about Little Man prompts me to post an update about sidedog, our rescue dog.  We've belonged to her almost 8 years now, which makes her an estimated 11 years old.  She's definitely showing her age.  Her eyes are getting cloudy and she does not hear as well, yet she is as sweet as ever.

apl68

The two retrievers I mentioned above skipped out on their family and were gone for most of a day last week.  They had never done anything like that before.  They were found, safe and sound, near a river camp miles from home.  They were confined to their dog pen for three days after that.
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

Thursday's_Child

My mutt has me well trained to give him the last half-bite of my morning toast.  This morning, it had some avocado on it.  Mutt responded to this challenge with excellent dog skills:  efficiently removed the large piece of avocado and deposited it on the rug before munching the toast.

nebo113

Quote from: Thursday's_Child on February 06, 2022, 09:29:58 AM
My mutt has me well trained to give him the last half-bite of my morning toast.  This morning, it had some avocado on it.  Mutt responded to this challenge with excellent dog skills:  efficiently removed the large piece of avocado and deposited it on the rug before munching the toast.

Mine would have scarfed down toast, avocado, and then licked the rug for any crumbs or butter.

apl68

I was attacked by a dog during this morning's walk.  I regularly walk past a fenced-in corner lot with two dogs.  I call them "Patch" (for the darker patch over one eye) and "Patch's Shadow" (brown dog who is obviously subordinate to "Patch").  Patch has always barked and carried on like he wants to kill me whenever I walk by, but he is securely fenced in. 

Recently the quieter "Shadow" has occasionally been getting out somehow.  This morning he blindsided me as I was rounding the corner and bit my hand.  He'd have likely drawn blood had I not been wearing gloves.  Somehow I'm going to have to make time to go to that house when there are people there and let them know what their dog has done.  Imagine if he had attacked a passing child!  I'm going to try to give them a friendly warning that their dog is behaving dangerously.  If it happens again, I'm going to have to call the police.

mamselle

Are you up on rabies and tetanus if the bite even broke the skin a little bit?

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

apl68

Come to think of it, no, I'm not up to date on tetanus.  Not an issue in this case, fortunately, since the bite didn't even leave a scratch.  Glad it was a chilly morning.

clean

"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

apl68

Quote from: clean on February 09, 2022, 08:44:28 AM
any updates on the biting dog?

Haven't caught the people home yet to speak with them.  I continue to see the dog running around free.  I've begun to wonder whether they may be out of town for a few days, and don't know that the one dog has been loose.  Doesn't appear that they've abandoned the house and dogs, though. 

mamselle

Quote from: apl68 on February 09, 2022, 10:16:19 AM
Quote from: clean on February 09, 2022, 08:44:28 AM
any updates on the biting dog?

Haven't caught the people home yet to speak with them.  I continue to see the dog running around free.  I've begun to wonder whether they may be out of town for a few days, and don't know that the one dog has been loose.  Doesn't appear that they've abandoned the house and dogs, though.

Given the bite and lack of control, you might need to let Animal Rescue know, both to house and feed the dog, and to prevent any further injuries to others.

One would think (having done a lot of dog-sitting myself) that they would have arranged for care for their pets before going away.

Before calling AR, it might be a last-ditch effort to knock on a neighbor's door and just ask; someone might know more about what's going on.

Hope it gets sorted out.

M.

clean

When I visit my parents' house and walk in their area, which is in a country setting with lots of dogs, I carry bear spray.
In MY neighborhood, I had a small keychain can of mace that I had to use on a dog once, but didnt see him/her after, and eventually stopped carrying bear spray. (Or more correctly, my foot was injured and I just stopped walking, and havent been back enough to carry it, but I still have it for when I DO get back to walking!)
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

apl68

As of this morning the dog was still loose, and I still had not observed anybody at home to speak to.  So I've now reported the matter to the police.  Hopefully they'll be able to take the dog into protective custody.

I'm still curious as to why I've seen no signs of people around for the past several days.  The dogs appear healthy and well fed.  Maybe the people just don't get in until late in the evening, and haven't even noticed that the dog is out?  Maybe they left food for the dogs in a feeder?