evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: ergative on May 30, 2022, 10:08:04 AM
WE GOT IT!!!

I also finished the plagiarism reports.

Congrats!

mamselle

Very glad for you both.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Harlow2

WE GOT IT!!!

Fantastic!

Vkw10

WE GOT IT!!!

Congratulations! Congratulations!🎉🍾
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

Langue_doc

Quote from: Vkw10 on May 30, 2022, 06:45:30 PM
WE GOT IT!!!

Congratulations! Congratulations!🎉🍾

Congrats for both accomplishments!

ergative

Thank you so much, everyone!

This thread continues to be appropriate for my situation: the events in question may be over, but the paperwork is ongoing. The sellers of the apartment want to take the kitchen appliances (washing machine, fridge, freezer). I don't really care that much, except that we put in a very generous offer that explicitly included those appliances, so I'm a bit of a grump that the sellers want to negotiate over that. And I don't want to add 'buy a washing machine, fridge, and freezer' to my to-do list this summer. I'd much rather be talking to nice cabinet makers about built-in bookcases.

And--because don't forget there are two things in my life right now--two of the plagiarism referrals turn out to be second offenses, so I have to file different paperwork.

mamselle

If the sellers didn't stipulate those exceptions in the original offer, how do they even have a leg to stand on, trying to claw them back now?

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ergative

Quote from: mamselle on June 01, 2022, 06:18:22 AM
If the sellers didn't stipulate those exceptions in the original offer, how do they even have a leg to stand on, trying to claw them back now?

M.

Because nothing's settled yet. I'm not in the US, and the current system goes as follows:

Written offer -> verbal acceptance ->   written acceptance --> more minor negotiations, apparently, while waiting for mortgages to be approved --> settlement.

So the seller has verbally accepted the offer, and now we're waiting for the written acceptance that will specify exactly what they take and what they leave, and then our lawyer responds with our counter-offer, and the whole thing seems unnecessarily fussy, and both buyer and seller can withdraw before settlement without any penalty.

But, on the other hand, given the state of the market, it's rather nice to have a period in which either buyer and seller can walk away, but the seller is not open to competing offers, so I'm not rushed into something legally binding until I'm sure the roof won't collapse.

mamselle

Ah, I see.

So, yes, the pilpel continues!

All good thoughts...

M.

Harlow2

Vent: dissertation student remarks on how "thoughtful" my comments are, thereby assessing my work and reversing our roles. I like the exchange of roles when people are aware of a collaborative working relation,  but not in this case.
Inhale: she's in agreement and will apparently align her revisions accordingly.

ergative

Quote from: Harlow2 on June 07, 2022, 10:18:34 AM
Vent: dissertation student remarks on how "thoughtful" my comments are, thereby assessing my work and reversing our roles. I like the exchange of roles when people are aware of a collaborative working relation,  but not in this case.
Inhale: she's in agreement and will apparently align her revisions accordingly.

I've noticed these kinds of odd evaluative comments from students. I interpret it as evidence that they know what it feels like to get praise in an academic setting, and so that's the model they draw on when they want to give praise in return. Where in a different setting (e.g., reviews of their Thor fanfiction on AO3) they might say, 'That's so helpful, thanks a ton!', in an academic setting they use what they've received: 'That's an extremely thoughtful insight.'

If I'm correct about this, it might be evidence that they're good at picking up on those sorts of stylistic conventions that really make a huge difference between student writing and academic writing. In this case, they're just over-applying them.

mamselle

Or they may have had some truly horrible feedback from people who didn't understand their work and were truly grateful that someone had come along that really did 'get it'....not that I've ever seen that, or anything...

M.

Harlow2

Hmm. Thanks, I guess I'll consider this at face value.

FishProf

My computer crashed and I had to reinstall windows.

The reinstall generated a file showing all the crap that HAD been on there that I didn't know about, or no longer remembered.

Big PITA.

Computer is faster.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

ergative

Quote from: FishProf on June 09, 2022, 01:22:49 PM
My computer crashed and I had to reinstall windows.

The reinstall generated a file showing all the crap that HAD been on there that I didn't know about, or no longer remembered.

Big PITA.

Computer is faster.

Ugh, my condolences. Major computer maintenance is such a pain: all that work, only to get you back to where you started. Like filing taxes when you haven't got a refund coming due.