News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The vinhale thread?

Started by mamselle, May 22, 2019, 09:05:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmLitHist

INHALE:  The stitches came out yesterday--at least 11 (I lost count) from the side of the foot, and 2 from the bottom (after I'd already torn out the other 2).

VENT (though expected):  Still non-weight bearing for another week. Back in the boot for another month.

INHALE:  The damnable hard splint is gone.  I'm down to some bandages for a couple of days, and a regular sock.

VENT (as expected):  I did have a blister rubbed on the back of my heel from said splint. Apparently it opened at some point, as I now have a thumb-sized ugly scab there.  Lots of Neosporin, gauze, tape, and extra padding in that part of the boot for awhile.

Progress, overall, I suppose.  Thanks to those who've been checking on me! I really do appreciate it very much!

mamselle

Inhale: We got all the way through the whole Moonlight Sonata (I-III). It's not perfect, but the basic structure and understanding are there.

Vent: It's his last lesson for the summer unless an uncle with a piano shows up in July or August, or the place he's going to intern at (NM astronomy program) has a student piano someplace he can use.

Inhale: I know he'll work whenever the chance arises, and he'll listen to other players, etc., so it won't be lost.

Vent: I want to cry. (Well, I did for one tiny second...) He's such a sweet, good, strong-minded (occasionally obstreperous) kid with a somewhat decent technique, and I'm going to miss working with him. (I'm usually exhausted at the end, but it's a good exhaustion).

Inhale: I know he values it as well, so no worries. Blessings all 'round.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

paultuttle

Inhale: beautiful day

Vent: lots of pollen still everywhere, so huge sinus headache keeping me from enjoying the beautiful day

OneMoreYear

Inhale: IT'S THE LAST DAY OF SUMMER TERM!!!!

Vent: I have so much grading to do.

Inhale: I can work from home tomorrow, so I don't have to spend 2 hours commuting using expensive gas.

Vent: My home air-conditioning is on strike

AmLitHist

Quote from: OneMoreYear on June 16, 2022, 04:04:02 PM

Vent: I have so much grading to do.

Inhale: I can work from home tomorrow, so I don't have to spend 2 hours commuting using expensive gas.

Vent: My home air-conditioning is on strike

Vent:  ^^ JEALOUS!^^  (I have 6 more weeks to go.)

Inhale:  At least the home AC is working (knocking on wood, as next week is supposed to be even hotter here).

ergative

The lawyers handling our home purchase are apparently incapable of sending documents electronically. Or even letting me know that they came! The written acceptance arrived on THURSDAY of last week, and they've only today, at my prodding and poking, let me know that they've sent it in the MAIL. I mean, sure, I understand you like to send it in the mail, fine, but couldn't you at least have TOLD me it was coming? I would have had a much happier, less stressed last three days if I'd know the paperwork was wending its way through the postal system.

mamselle

That's weird.

Maybe their legal clerk was on vacation, or they're between paralegals?

Someone should know that stuff since a lot of preliminary court stuff is done totally online...

But, still, glad it's in the works!!

M.   
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ergative

Unrelated:

Inhale: I signed up for a Scribd membership to get the audiobooks for something cheaper than Audible. That's been great. I go through a lot of audiobooks, and I've been getting m money's worth.

Vent: I started reading ebooks through it as well--specifically, KJ Charles, who goes by real fast. I read something like four in a week. Suddenly, all but a couple of my saved books are 'available soon'--with 'soon' defined as 'after the next billing cycle starts.' The internet tells me that this is something Scribd has been doing for a while: they throttle your saved books. Not sure why I haven't run into it before--maybe because I read faster than I can listen?--but in a fit of fury I cancelled my membership.

Inhale: They offered me a free thirty days more, which would take me to the next billing cycle for free and unlock some books. Ok, fine. I accepted the free thirty days, then canceled my membership, effective end of July. It's now the next billing cycle, and I've got some more books unlocked.

Vent: I accidentally clicked the unhideable button on the website that goes 'renew your membership'. Oops. Had to cancel again.

Inhale: The dorks offered me another 30 day renewal perk. I accepted and then canceled again. Now I've got until the end of August before my membership is renewed.

I wonder how often I can repeat this cycle before they quit offering me 30 day extensions for free? because I paid them good money and they played me false, so I will take full advantage of every automated retention perk they give me. (Also, books don't seem to be throttled right now. Not sure if it's the new billing cycle or if they don't play that game with people in the 30-day free trial membership, but I hope it's the second. If so, then I can spend all my time in 30-day free trial memberships, without having to wait for books to become available.)

In conclusion: Scribd sucks. They don't play fair. But I feel like I've gotten the better of them. For now.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Inhale: AC guy FIXED it!

Vent: We have a bad pump AND thermostat. And I just bought this damn thermostat. It wasn't sending the signal to the outside unit. So, I will return it and get another one. He bypassed something on the thermostat, which we can just disconnect until we get a new one. I have some alligator clips and insulated wire connecting it.

Inhale: It's cool now! My brain is not melting!

Vent: He was here for 2 hours and 15 min. I paid a bunch of money and I'm fricking tired.

ergative

evil_physics_witchcraft

ab_grp

AmLitHist

Hooray for the working AC, EPW.

V/inhale:  The wound doctor said that while they aren't bad [inhale], the incision and blister are infected [vent].

Vent:  I kind of felt like I wasted his time and my insurance/money because things aren't that bad.

Inhale:  He reassured me that I did the right thing, as my diabetes and MRSA-carrier status mean that things can be OK one minute and then turn very, very bad in literally just a few hours.

Vent:  Having wounds debrided hurts, even after the use of a local.  They still hurt today.

Harlow2

Sorry, ALH. Take good care of yourself as you recover.

ab_grp

Ouch, ALH.  Sending healing vibes your way! I'm glad you got it checked out.