News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Server Issues

Started by eigen, May 25, 2019, 08:36:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eigen

Hi All:

Thanks for patience with server downtime today. Everything has been restored from the last backup, so it's possible some data from yesterday was lost.

Offsite backups are daily, and I also do daily backups on the server, if anyone's curious.

If you're a new member and registered recently and it's not showing... that might be why.

If you notice anything else off, please point it out here!
Quote from: Caracal
Actually reading posts before responding to them seems to be a problem for a number of people on here...

Parasaurolophus

Yeah, I see that a few posts disappeared. I haven't noticed anything else, though.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Also just to add that we're still at 184 members, so I don't think anyone was deleted, at least. I remember approving #184 last night.
I know it's a genus.

aside

Yes, some posts made Friday afternoon or evening are missing;I don't recall if any were on new threads that have disappeared as well.

paultuttle

Quote from: aside on May 26, 2019, 05:12:41 AM
Yes, some posts made Friday afternoon or evening are missing;I don't recall if any were on new threads that have disappeared as well.

This is why I'll wait for a little bit longer to make more of a contribution to these message boards--I'll want to know that the server issues have been resolved.

eigen

Quote from: paultuttle on May 28, 2019, 08:55:12 AM
Quote from: aside on May 26, 2019, 05:12:41 AM

This is why I'll wait for a little bit longer to make more of a contribution to these message boards--I'll want to know that the server issues have been resolved.

There's no such thing as "resolved" with server issues, so if you're waiting until those are gone... That's just not a realistic possibility. The CHE forums have gone down a number of times as well.

Servers are just computer hardware, and can fail due to network issues, file corruption, or hardware failure just like any other computer. Maintaining backups lets us get back up and running to mitigate issues, but it will never "resolve" them.
Quote from: Caracal
Actually reading posts before responding to them seems to be a problem for a number of people on here...

downer

Yes, all sorts of websites go down for a bit. The Chronicle forums certainly did.

Some providers are more reliable than others and that can vary over time. We will see how things are with the one we have now.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

paultuttle

Sorry for sounding a bit both pissy and ignorant. It's only that I'd spent some time on 5-6 posts that disappeared. I was upset about the time I invested.

Again, my apologies.

polly_mer

Quote from: paultuttle on May 29, 2019, 08:04:57 AM
It's only that I'd spent some time on 5-6 posts that disappeared. I was upset about the time I invested.

I sympathize.  I didn't lose any individual posts on which I spent a lot of time during this crash, but I was somewhat annoyed to lose an evening's work on all the replies I made.

On the CHE fora, I started writing posts in a text editor to the side so that I stopped losing so many posts due to recurring blips in the editor window.  I'm tempted to start pasting things across again in case of another blip.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

mamselle

I had iffy wifi at one place and would lose posts.

For a bit I'd type them online, copy and paste into an MSW file (keeping it open for the day or so) and save it.

Got out of that habit, but it might also be useful if we have some hiccups starting up.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.