News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Random Thoughts Anew

Started by mamselle, May 27, 2019, 09:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

FishProf

Quote from: mamselle on April 01, 2022, 01:17:31 PM
Bon poisson d'avril!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejxhWTJtVBk

M.

I read that and thought 'Good Fishes of April'?  Damn, my French is worse than I thought....
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

mamselle

Well, literally, yes, but...

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Harlow2

Quote from: FishProf on April 03, 2022, 05:51:09 AM
Quote from: mamselle on April 01, 2022, 01:17:31 PM
Bon poisson d'avril!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejxhWTJtVBk

M.

I read that and thought 'Good Fishes of April'?  Damn, my French is worse than I thought....

Sorta fits the moniker though! 

mamselle

;--}

Unrelated^

I ran across this earlier, it's great fun (and a good underlying message as well...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpdCVAmt5C8

(I don't think I've shared it before, if so, mes apologies!)

M.

mamselle

Double, sorry.

It just occurred it me...I wonder if those who dislike, or claim to dislike, some freshly-born evidence of deeper care and thoughtfulness that catches on in a society, either once thought of it themselves--but dismissed it as too hard to get across--or simply envy its youth and beauty (or both)?

I suppose bewilderment at the uninvested generosity of the wish to set things straight--a kind of moral housekeeping, perhaps--would do it, too...

I wish the raised-back resistance would cease and people would see a good impulse for what it is, and work with others to fix things, rather than diverting and dispersing all that useful energy in fighting.

M.

apl68

Wooded mound of earth
Of the railroad builders' work
Only this remains
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

marshwiggle

Quote from: mamselle on April 07, 2022, 04:18:41 AM

I wish the raised-back resistance would cease and people would see a good impulse for what it is, and work with others to fix things, rather than diverting and dispersing all that useful energy in fighting.

I think many people are very much in favour of fixing things; they're just not nearly so keen on endless self-flagellation.
The difference would be apparent if there were concrete , workable proposals for action.
It takes so little to be above average.

ab_grp

I'm starting to wonder if someone's screwing with the internet infrastructure or something.  There have been several occasions in the past week (two today) in which sites seemed to be using the wrong dates.  The NYT recycled an old spelling bee puzzle today that was in a completely or partially completed state for many users, Slate sent an email today that it's Tuesday so the Tuesday news quiz is ready, and last week Substack re-sent out several newsletter emails from previous days.  Any other occurrences like this? 

mamselle

Could the coronal elections have played hob with something like that?

(Any IT-critters know?)

M.

Juvenal

"I'd rather sit on a pumpkin all by myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion."

Where are pumpkins when you need them?  Who are these velvet seekers?  Begone!
Cranky septuagenarian

Langue_doc

Dear gov, what were you thinking? The signs were there all along.

The Lt gov that she proudly introduced less than a year ago has just been arrested:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/12/nyregion/brian-benjamin-arrested.html

She should have known better than have a convicted fraudster on the stage with her along with the Lt gov when she introduced the latter.

https://gothamist.com/news/gov-hochul-officially-announces-brian-benjamin-lt-governor-celebratory-harlem-event

The lady on the right in the last picture was convicted of fraud because she had stolen from a disabled person by depositing disability checks on behalf of that person, but hanging on to the funds.

mamselle

Yeah, twenty years later, they're still trying to sort out what the two Bulger brothers knew about each other, and what they didn't...

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2003-aug-07-na-bulger7-story.html

M.

mahagonny

Something Wahoo likes to do on the forum, make a pet project of trying to change individual's minds about stuff.

mamselle

Just a stray passing thought, might be an anniversary of sorts...

Sometimes your angel appears in the form of a big, weathered old Irish beat cop who sees you crying and fumbling for change to use the phone in the bar because your abusive spouse disconnected the phone so you can't call your friends and tell them what he's done, and try to figure out what to do about it.

It was 41 years ago, but I can still hear his voice, "He needs counseling, he's got troubles with his mother, I had to deal with that."

Then he took me to the station to swear out a restraing order and stayed with me until it was filed.

Lifesaving heroes don't always wear capes or wings.

M.