News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Random Thoughts Anew

Started by mamselle, May 27, 2019, 09:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

Neutralname started this thread on April 26, 2009 (so just over 10 years ago...): 

QuoteWhen want to make a comment -- NOT on another thread (that's for the One-Offs thread), and NOT a vent (that's for the Venting thread) -- but just about something random you just noticed, and yet you don't want to start a whole new thread on the topic.  If it looks like a substantive discussion is going to develop, take it to a new thread.  This thread is for the random.

Here's my random thought.  I just noticed my school has its sports-related classes classified under the heading "Movement Sciences."  What's wrong with "Sports & Fitness"?  Ohh, it's a science!  Who knew?

Latest quote, #3525 (mine) made me realize how much fun it's been to have a place to mention those odd thoughts that just come popping in unbidden somedays...

QuoteIs it socially unacceptable,  intrusive, rude, or simply futile to remark on what a nice day it is to people wearing earbuds

Have at it!

Randomly, of course...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

downer

Looking at the 30th anniversary performance of The Cure's Disintegration reinforces my thought that a lot of shows are too long. They played for 2.5 hours. I wouldn't want to sit through that even sitting down. I have friends who go to see Springsteen and endure 3+ hours. I can't even.

The last show I went to the band played for 30 minutes. They were the opener, but they were the ones I had gone to see. I was so pleased to enjoy it and then get out of there at a reasonable time.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

mamselle

There are (I think) four tastes: bitter, salt, sweet, and sour.

I'm thinking that in life, salt and sweet work, and bitter and sour don't work as well.

Bitter makes you angry and sour makes you give up.

Salty puts some zest in things and sweet makes them palatable.

So I'm aiming for those.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

namazu

And umami helps you savor life?

mamselle

aside

When I post, I feel like the interface is calling me "Font Face."

mamselle

Garamond?  Courier?

At least, we know it can't be Comic Sans...

;--}

M.

aside

So, is Canadian bacon made from real Canadians, or artificial ingrediants?

ab_grp

I just got some crazy urge to play a computer game that I haven't played in 30 (?) years.  I haven't been a computer game (or, really, other game) player since I was a kid, so I'm not sure why that even came up.

fast_and_bulbous

Quote from: aside on June 05, 2019, 08:33:39 PM

That's not funny, eh?

Um, surry, but you misspelled "ingredients".
I wake up every morning with a healthy dose of analog delay

aside

Quote from: fast_and_bulbous on June 06, 2019, 01:42:57 PM
Quote from: aside on June 05, 2019, 08:33:39 PM

That's not funny, eh?

Um, surry, but you misspelled "ingredients".

So I did.  Rats!  My spelling was as random as my thought.

quasihumanist

I just spent a few days in the Canadian Prairies.  I asked my hosts if Canadian Midwesterners were more polite and apologized more often than other Canadians, just as American Midwesterners are well-known for being more polite and apologizing more often than other Americans.  My hosts (who grew up in Ontario and moved to the Canadian Prairies a few years ago) decided this wasn't really possible, since even in Ontario, speech mostly consists of various inflections of 'Sorry'.

polly_mer

I keep having "Lighten up, Francis" go through my head as I read various online tidbits.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

downer

If Boris is going to be Prime Minister, I may just give the UK a miss for a while.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis