News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Random Thoughts Anew

Started by mamselle, May 27, 2019, 09:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

^ Unrelated.

Grace denatures those twin sins of Sloth & Despair.

Latch onto Grace.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

downer

Cortana actually sent me a useful reminder today.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

marshwiggle

Quote from: downer on August 17, 2021, 03:50:32 AM
Cortana actually sent me a useful reminder today.

It's been a year and a half, and I haven't had that happen yet. Congrats!
It takes so little to be above average.

mahagonny

'What does "woke" mean? It means you're a loser. Everything "woke" touches turns to shit.'

DJT, who, despite being a serial liar, somehow managed to say something that is obviously true and needed saying before anyone else did.

mamselle

Y'aint woke, ya broke, bro.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

fishbrains

I wonder how many of these high school students who are in "quarantine" at home are still going to their after-school jobs?
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

FishProf

I was in a place that probably needs a mask mandate, and NO ONE was masked.  Smolt got strange looks when I made her mask up in shops.

Now, we are home, where things are still largely under control and the numbers of the masked (sounds like a horror movie title) are approaching 50% by my informal estimate. 

Those two observations couldn't be connected, could they?
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

apl68

Quote from: fishbrains on August 25, 2021, 04:14:13 PM
I wonder how many of these high school students who are in "quarantine" at home are still going to their after-school jobs?

I wonder how many high school students actually have after-school jobs?  They seem to be pretty rare anymore.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

downer

I feel bad for the dept chair calling around trying to find an adjunct to teach a Zoom class starting tomorrow.

But not that bad.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

marshwiggle

Quote from: downer on September 01, 2021, 05:10:41 AM
I feel bad for the dept chair calling around trying to find an adjunct to teach a Zoom class starting tomorrow.

But not that bad.

Did someone quit at the last minute? Or was this just ridiculously bad (or non-existent) planning?
It takes so little to be above average.

downer

Quote from: marshwiggle on September 01, 2021, 05:41:31 AM

But not that bad.

Did someone quit at the last minute? Or was this just ridiculously bad (or non-existent) planning?

I imagine some plan fell through.

mahagonny

Quote from: downer on September 01, 2021, 05:59:03 AM

But not that bad.

I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often.
Sometime ago, I wanna say like June or July 2020, they asked me whether I was planning to be working with them again in the fall. I answered yes, which turned out to be what happened. I realized that was the first time, other than getting hired initially, that anyone had asked me straight out, was I planning to continue. I used to think this was odd, as your contract expires at the end of each semester in no uncertain terms. Of course nothing gets signed anymore. Someone in one of the offices just forges your signature on the contract to get it moving, in the first week or two, hopefully.

apl68

Heard outside a local beauty shop:

"You can't walk past the shampoo bowl back there, because the bathroom stinks so bad!"

Were they talking about the shop they were standing in front of, or another one in their experience?  If the former, it might explain why they were all standing outside.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

AmLitHist

But not that bad.

At my place, and when I was chair, if this happens, the chair has to teach the class. 

ciao_yall

Quote from: AmLitHist on September 01, 2021, 10:33:23 AM

But not that bad.

At my place, and when I was chair, if this happens, the chair has to teach the class.

What if the chair wasn't qualified?