News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Random Thoughts Anew

Started by mamselle, May 27, 2019, 09:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

downer

Reflecting on this case, I hypothesize the registrar has reaches a state of maximum inefficiency.

An online course.
Weeks 1-2. Student does not attend class or do any work.
Week 3. Registrar asks for list of never attending students. I give the student's name.
Weeks 4-6. Student starts attending and doing work.
Week 7. Registrar and/or IT delete student from the LMS leaving no record, for non-attendance.
Week 8. Registrar asks for last day of student's attendance. But they deleted the student from the LMS, so I can't give them the info.

If the registrar were either faster or slower in its operations, this would have gone smoother.

Arguably I should have notified the registrar in Week 4 the student was now attending. That would require I remember which students I marked as non-attending, and that's not info I keep in my head.

I suspect that the registrar must have sent emails to the student with warnings, which the student ignored. I felt bad for the student for about 30 seconds.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

mahagonny

/ thought

downer

If two or more students ask me if cover pages are required for their papers, that must mean that there are still faculty who require cover pages.

Why would anyone care about that?
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

mahagonny

I believe there's no 'I Declare Victory' thread like there was on the CHE forum. I'll put it here.

Glenn Youngkin has figured out how to campaign as a republican while managing the huge presence of DJT. Don't disavow his ideas, act like he's your friend, but not someone you emulate. Youngkin is a mild mannered genteel sort of fellow, so the common sense things from the political center become the republican's meat and potatoes issues when he speaks. Well done.
And not to rub it in, but Youngkin's and Burgess Owen's message, and the message of the group FAIR, are the ones that Americans prefer. https://nypost.com/2021/11/01/all-the-power-to-the-parents-vs-critical-race-theory/

CRT - Not being a PhD I don't claim to understand anything so abstruse, but as near as I can tell it states something like 'if we could reconstruct our entire society atom by atom, black and brown people might have more wealth, success, standard of living, positions of great influence.' As a professor of mine used to say way back when 'and if your aunt had balls she'd be your uncle.' The whole thing is just too hypothetical. The way to work together on our problems is to look at the world we have and not ponder a theory that doesn't match reality and then declare reality must change to fit that theory. (Thank you Dr. Sowell). Not to mention, people want black people to succeed already.

hmaria1609

Developing: WTOP Radio reports former State Delegate Winsome Sears is the 1st Black woman elected Lt. Governor of VA.

mamselle

I was up until 2 AM watching the returns on NBC's "Meet the Press" live coverage channel.

I was very impressed with the analysis, conversational tone, and astute comparisons made throughout.

Other random thoughts:

a) At least the VA/(R) governor's term will hatch unimpeded by any infestation of DJT to weaken its shell. The rout may have begun, finally.

b) The discussion of racial issues in measured, even tones, unfettered by misapplied initials and unfettered, radically fearful imaginings, can begin at
         a deeper level. (R)s clearly want someone to tell them what to think: anyone with a better approach than fear-mongering might be in with
         a chance; and (D)s can have a reasonable conversation about ways to share, discuss, and formulate plans for the discussions that do need to
         happen, probably in legislative backroom sessions among themselves, and maybe in less formal, across-the-aisle conversations with those who,
         having now elected a governor who will 'protect' them from the big, bad, nonexistent CRT training-that-doesn't-exist can be approached in a
         cooler, less fraught setting, because they actually do know that things can't go on as they are, it's not what their party's 1860s founder wanted.

c) Opening up a discussion, on another side of things, about what voices parents do and should and don't and shouldn't have in
        elementary/secondary school planning, content and teaching choices could lead to a less blinkered class and economic system in the state as well.     

Plus, I want a map like that....

What's-his-name could poke a county here, or a spot on the lower corner there, and all these cool panels slid into view or out of the way.

Want one. Now.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

mahagonny

Quote from: mamselle on November 03, 2021, 09:57:31 AM

having now elected a governor who will 'protect' them from the big, bad, nonexistent CRT training-that-doesn't-exist can be approached in a...

Thing you probably still don't get: nobody cares that much what CRT is or isn't. We don't win all arguments, just most elections.

ETA:

Quote from: hmaria1609 on November 03, 2021, 09:39:12 AM
Developing: WTOP Radio reports former State Delegate Winsome Sears is the 1st Black woman elected Lt. Governor of VA.

If there's one thing that makes today's democratic strategist sick with fear it's a black immigrant (or their son or daughter) who is successful and grateful to be in the USA.

mahagonny

'Twas a forgone conclusion that the next Lt. Gov of VA would be a black woman. Sears' opponent was democrat Hala Ayala. If you're reading this, Hala: wishing you continued success and good health. You gave it a fine effort.
More black women in government? Sure, why not! We need all the talent there is.

mamselle

^ Unrelated. Different train of random thoughts.

You know you've been watching too many British shows online when a US automobile ad comes up and you say,

"Hey, wait, aren't they driving on the wrong side of the...oh."

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

downer

The dean for online stuff wrote ages ago telling me my deadline to update my courses to satisfy their requirements was about two weeks ago. I ignored the deadline, and wrote saying I will do it for next semester's courses. Curiously, no response. Maybe they have too many other fires to put out so making sure I do their busy work is not a priority.

downer

I went for a run in my neighborhood this morning and saw how much stuff people are throwing out. A lot of perfectly good stuff too. I saw a chair and a stool that I was tempted to get. But I didn't really have the time to get them. I did rescue some flower pots, with plants in them.

What a wasteful culture we are.

mamselle

^ Unrelated.

This series of letters, read by various British stars, has much to recommend it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snTiYQeJwkQ

A focused gathering (one of several) was presented just before lockdowns began:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0ZoacVdnho

M.

mahagonny

Kendi is melting down. Good. The nice guy act was his cover, and he was pretty good at it. But the more you get to know him the more trouble he's in.

dismalist

Quote from: downer on November 29, 2021, 10:36:58 AM
I went for a run in my neighborhood this morning and saw how much stuff people are throwing out. A lot of perfectly good stuff too. I saw a chair and a stool that I was tempted to get. But I didn't really have the time to get them. I did rescue some flower pots, with plants in them.

What a wasteful culture we are.

Alas, no, we are not wasteful. In the example, you did not waste your time getting a chair you didn't like enough. You did rescue some flower pots containing plants, which was worth your time.

Most people in our culture are so well off that they can afford to throw away stuff they don't like any more, for whatever reason.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

downer

Quote from: dismalist on December 05, 2021, 02:50:20 PM
Most people in our culture are so well off that they can afford to throw away stuff they don't like any more, for whatever reason.

Yep. I thought that is what being wasteful is.

The related thought is that the world's resources are limited and our ability to deal with trash is especially limited. So wastefulness has consequences down the line.