Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Random Thoughts Anew

Started by mamselle, May 27, 2019, 09:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dismalist

Quote from: downer on December 05, 2021, 03:00:35 PM
Quote from: dismalist on December 05, 2021, 02:50:20 PM
Most people in our culture are so well off that they can afford to throw away stuff they don't like any more, for whatever reason.

Yep. I thought that is what being wasteful is.

The related thought is that the world's resources are limited and our ability to deal with trash is especially limited. So wastefulness has consequences down the line.

The world's resources are priced. Therefore, nothing to worry about.

It's cheap dealing with trash. How about a landfill in the Desert of Gobi? :-)

Seriously, though, my own pet wastefulness peeve is vast portion and package sizes. It's an example of price discrimination, which works in the case of food only if the food is cheap, really cheap.

The source of the problem perceived by our emotions is that stuff has become so cheap on account of technical progress.

Tax it! :-)
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

downer

You have a more optimistic view about the rational function of markets than I do, dismalist.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

dismalist

Quote from: downer on December 05, 2021, 03:19:42 PM
You have a more optimistic view about the rational function of markets than I do, dismalist.

Absolutely, downer; glad you brought it up.

The problems arise where there are no markets, such as for CO2. So let's make them. :-)
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

mamselle

Isn't there a kind of 'market' for CO2 in the one of the UN's ecological systems?

I knew some folks who were working on that at one point (many years ago).

(Or did it not go through? Lost track after I left that job...)

M.   
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

dismalist

Quote from: mamselle on December 05, 2021, 04:01:47 PM
Isn't there a kind of 'market' for CO2 in the one of the UN's ecological systems?

I knew some folks who were working on that at one point (many years ago).

(Or did it not go through? Lost track after I left that job...)

M.

Well, CO2 taxes exist all over Europe and in a certain place in Canada, which is a great thing, but the rates are low and get voted out now and again.

The content here is not too cool, but the maps are great: https://www.c2es.org/content/carbon-tax-basics/
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

EdnaMode

Why am I getting emails enquiring about my need for course materials for life sciences courses in the spring? Mechanical engineering, life sciences... same thing, right?
I never look back, darling. It distracts from the now.

mahagonny

General question: should it be embarrassing, in 2021, for administration to be using new software to fail at tasks that were done successfully with pencil and paper?

ab_grp

Apparently, the tooth brush I just bought can order replacement heads for me.  I don't think that's necessary, but thanks? I imagine its idea of when it needs a new one might be slightly different than mine.  I really don't trust my tooth brush to be making purchases on my behalf in general.

secundem_artem

Quote from: ab_grp on December 10, 2021, 09:20:49 AM
Apparently, the tooth brush I just bought can order replacement heads for me.  I don't think that's necessary, but thanks? I imagine its idea of when it needs a new one might be slightly different than mine.  I really don't trust my tooth brush to be making purchases on my behalf in general.

The internet of things sounds like a great idea until Al Qaeda takes control of your refrigerator.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

ab_grp

Quote from: secundem_artem on December 10, 2021, 09:26:57 AM

The internet of things sounds like a great idea until Al Qaeda takes control of your refrigerator.

I think I'd rather them take control of my refrigerator than my tooth brush! Eek.  Really, they can just stay out of my stuff altogether.

secundem_artem

Quote from: ab_grp on December 10, 2021, 09:29:59 AM

I think I'd rather them take control of my refrigerator than my tooth brush! Eek.  Really, they can just stay out of my stuff altogether.

You say that now.  Wait until Al Qaeda asks your fridge to order 1000 jars of pickled onions!
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

ab_grp

Quote from: secundem_artem on December 10, 2021, 09:33:30 AM
Quote from: ab_grp on December 10, 2021, 09:29:59 AM

You say that now.  Wait until Al Qaeda asks your fridge to order 1000 jars of pickled onions!

Too true! And if that happens, I will need oral hygiene that is on point.  Tooth brush, take the wheel!

Larimar

Now that is way creepy! I wouldn't want some inanimate object making auto-purchases for me that I didn't deliberately choose to set up! Let's not let the technology temperature get up to Fahrenheit 451!

mahagonny

1. Is there any path that exists today back to a place where almost all Americans believe that the elections are free and fair?

2. Is there any ability for people who are worried because our faith is gone but blame different people, including each other, to work together to fix the problem?

3. If no, then it's all over but the fat lady singing.

I think about this every day. Makes for a hell of a great Christmas.

apl68

It's strange how local cultures can differ even among towns in the same region.  In our town we have quite a few people who really like decorating for Christmas.  Not crazy overboard stuff, but you see lots of fairly elaborate yard displays and house lights during the Christmas season.  We also have a family a few miles out of town who have over the years built an extraordinarily elaborate home-made Christmas wonderland that amounts to an example of "outsider art" (They see it as a kind of ministry--it's explicitly Christian-themed, has attracted national TV attention, and brings in visitors from several states away).  Public decorations downtown are fairly modest, although City Hall has upped its game in recent years.

In a much larger town about 40 miles from here they have very elaborate public Christmas displays every year downtown around the courthouse.  But elaborate yard and house decorations are few and far between, even in the most affluent neighborhoods.  Christmas decorations are limited mainly to a tree and a few wreaths or lights.  A solid majority of houses in the wealthiest part of town have no decorations at all that are visible from outside.

Two towns, 40 miles apart, two very different looks at Christmas time.  I wonder why?

All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all