Main Menu

2020 Elections

Started by spork, June 22, 2019, 01:48:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nebo113

Quote from: dismalist on March 10, 2020, 04:05:05 PM
Quote from: mahagonny on March 10, 2020, 04:03:48 PM
Quote from: dismalist on March 10, 2020, 03:52:19 PM
Not you personally, but uninsured people on average.

So the uninsured are having teeth pulled instead?

Well, yeah.

I live in a poor, rural area where once a year, medical professionals set up at the local fairgrounds to provide as much care as possible over 3 days.  LOTS of teeth get pulled.

spork

I hope all those white wealthy suburbanites who voted for Trump in 2016 because they thought he would do a better job protecting their money than Clinton are looking at their 401Ks right now.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

clean

The day Trump took office, the Dow was just over 19,800, so those
Quotewhite wealthy suburbanites who voted for Trump in 2016 because they thought he would do a better job protecting their money than Clinton are looking at their 401Ks right now.
and seeing that the market is still up from the day he took office.

"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

kaysixteen

Hmm.... What about Rep. Katie Porter for VP slash president of the future?

spork

Quote from: clean on March 12, 2020, 03:51:45 PM
Quotewhite wealthy suburbanites who voted for Trump in 2016 because they thought he would do a better job protecting their money than Clinton are looking at their 401Ks right now.

There is still time for a drop of about 500 points on the S & P 500.

Heard Trump on the radio this afternoon. The guy is a total fucking moron.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

dismalist

Aw, hell, the market will fluctuate! :-)
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

nebo113

Quote from: spork on March 13, 2020, 05:20:38 PM

There is still time for a drop of about 500 points on the S & P 500.

Heard Trump on the radio this afternoon. The guy is a total fucking moron.

UNDERSTATEMENT OF THE CENTURY!

polly_mer

What is it that you folks think someone else would have done as leader in this very unusual situation that would make a difference?

What do you think the markets would have done in response to whatever that thing is when the rest of the world is still the rest of the world and we're still all highly connected?

I watched the Democratic debate last night.  No one has a plan for a situation like this.

We're in a mental/emotion place in which people who have picked teams are quite sure their team is doing fabulously well and that other team is just flat out stupid, regardless of what the actual actions, plans, and results are.  FiveThirtyEight has poll results that show such a split with Democrats strongly disapproving of Trump's Covid-19 performance and Republicans strongly approving.  Perhaps people don't know that Trump's overall approval rating is still in the low 40s--about the same level it has been for most of his term.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

spork

Quote from: dismalist on March 15, 2020, 02:01:10 PM
Aw, hell, the market will fluctuate! :-)

Yes, but only 200 points to go before the S & P 500 is lower than it was at the time of Trump's inauguration.

And just to be fair, I think the best political outcome would be for Biden to serve less than a single term.

Diogenes

Was it just me or did Biden sound like a 90's Republican last night? He alluded to trickle down economics multiple times and kept using the words "surge" and "war"

AmLitHist

Quote from: polly_mer on March 16, 2020, 06:10:03 AM
What is it that you folks think someone else would have done as leader in this very unusual situation that would make a difference?

Well, probably not spending the past three years cutting the hell out of the size and funding of various health/wellness concerns within the Federal government, and not acting like all science is complete bullshit and hoaxes aimed at bringing down the Grand Cheetoh in Chief, for starters?  That seems like a fair assumption, since these things didn't get done under the prior two administrations.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Diogenes on March 16, 2020, 08:08:54 AM
Was it just me or did Biden sound like a 90's Republican last night? He alluded to trickle down economics multiple times and kept using the words "surge" and "war"

I'm sure all the war talk played well, but... yeah. (The war talk was especially ominous when he talked about making China "face the consequences".)

The number of outright lies about his voting record was pretty astounding, too.
I know it's a genus.

Anselm

Quote from: Diogenes on March 16, 2020, 08:08:54 AM

Malarkey!  Play the record player for the kids at night.  The poor kids are just as smart as the white kids.  I'm running for the US Senate.  Vote for me on Super Thursday.
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

dr_codex

Well, that was quick.
back to the books.

dismalist

Quote from: dr_codex on March 16, 2020, 01:35:04 PM

Well, that was quick.

I appreciate that many people don't like Trump.

However, the Corona outbreak has nothing to do with him, and how the outbreak is being handled, strangely, is not different from many other diverse countries which botched things in one way or another from the beginning. Thus, there is no point associating Trump with the current stock market crash.

When thinking about the upcoming election it's better to suspend one's tribalism for a moment and ask WHY people voted for Trump in 2016. The core of his voters don't own stocks, I might add.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli