News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Impeachment

Started by nebo113, September 22, 2019, 05:50:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

writingprof

Quote from: nebo113 on November 08, 2019, 04:42:14 AM
NONONONO!!!!!!  We CANNOT be "resigned" to a second term, as the United States will not exist in any recognizable form.  FIGHT, mahagonny, FIGHT!!!

Surely you don't really believe this.

mahagonny

Quote from: writingprof on November 28, 2019, 06:32:43 AM
NONONONO!!!!!!  We CANNOT be "resigned" to a second term, as the United States will not exist in any recognizable form.  FIGHT, mahagonny, FIGHT!!!

For the first time in my life I am frightened by the POTUS. Not because educated people like you might vote for him because you dislike 'big government solutions' thought up by democrats even more than you dislike his unsociable temperament and ego. But because a subset of his followers only seem to believe in him more fervently the more bilious and dishonest he gets. When I said I was resigned to him getting a second term, I might better have said I am despondent and dreading the election.

I think Mayor Pete is the guy. He could win because he's young and he speaks calmly and he's everything Trump is not. Contrast is an asset. Biden has been too roughed up by the Ukraine matters.

nebo113

Surely I do.

mahagonny

Quote from: nebo113 on November 29, 2019, 04:28:40 AM

Surely I do.

Listen to Trump talk about the 'ruler for life' setup (China's Xi) with fascination. It's suspect that he could care about what the USA  or free republic is about. He thinks 'strength' is cool. People have seen these disturbing signs and are voting for him anyway. So they need to be fought.

writingprof

Surely I do.

All right, let's examine the premise.  If Trump is reelected, the United States will not "exist" in "any" recognizable form.  Will the political entity known as the U.S.A. cease to be?  Will its legal borders change?  Will the states also vanish?  Will the three branches of government disappear?  Will every current elected official die or be chased out of office?  Will cities be razed to the ground?  Will national parks and monuments go away?  It seems to me that all of this and more would have to happen before the United States ceased to "exist" in "any" recognizable form.

Here's what's actually going to happen.  Trump is going to be reelected.  And your life will not change in any meaningful way.

Anselm

The USA as we know it seems to change with every generation if not every decade, for good or bad depending on your perspective. 
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

mahagonny

Quote from: Anselm on November 29, 2019, 09:53:21 AM
The USA as we know it seems to change with every generation if not every decade, for good or bad depending on your perspective.

...but some of the changes seem to be far reaching. Since Watergate, people have a worse opinion of the character of elected officials. Which could have paved the way for Donald Trump. I have one well educated right-wing friend who says 'Trump's just a new variety of politician who takes you for an idiot. Instead of talking to you like lawyer, he just talks.'

nebo113

Quote from: writingprof on November 29, 2019, 09:10:43 AM

Surely I do.

All right, let's examine the premise.  If Trump is reelected, the United States will not "exist" in "any" recognizable form.  Will the political entity known as the U.S.A. cease to be?  Will its legal borders change?  Will the states also vanish?  Will the three branches of government disappear?  Will every current elected official die or be chased out of office?  Will cities be razed to the ground?  Will national parks and monuments go away?  It seems to me that all of this and more would have to happen before the United States ceased to "exist" in "any" recognizable form.

Here's what's actually going to happen.  Trump is going to be reelected.  And your life will not change in any meaningful way.

Either/or fallacies.  Guess your don't teach them in your writing classes.

mahagonny

Quote from: nebo113 on November 29, 2019, 03:56:12 PM
Will the three branches of government disappear? 

Either/or fallacies.  Guess your don't teach them in your writing classes.

[/quote]

As far as his views are concerned Trump has no use for check and balances. Although he tries to put up with them.

kaysixteen

Mayor Pete is unelectable.  Because he's gay.  Like it or not.  Anyone who questions this, Google the 'Bradley effect'.

mahagonny

Quote from: kaysixteen on November 29, 2019, 09:40:31 PM
Mayor Pete is unelectable.  Because he's gay.  Like it or not.  Anyone who questions this, Google the 'Bradley effect'.

You like him though. I know how you talk. You are gloomy. Look at the polls. He's moving up.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: kaysixteen on November 29, 2019, 09:40:31 PM

I don't think that's what's really keeping him back, especially in the primary. His total incompetence with respect to Black people and their concerns, however, is definitely keeping him back. Plus, you know, shitty policies, although I suspect people are mostly fine with those.

Except for Black people.
I know it's a genus.

writingprof

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on November 29, 2019, 10:04:42 PM
His total incompetence with respect to Black people and their concerns, however, is definitely keeping him back. Plus, you know, shitty policies, although I suspect people are mostly fine with those.

Except for Black people.

Ah. That explains why cities in which black voters represent a majority are such paradises of good governance. 

Ruralguy

First of all, I don't think the Bradley Effect has been consistently proven to be a factor, especially after Obama became president, California elected Gavin Newsom, etc. Might still exist in pockets.

Secondly, you can't apply it selectively. There are other minorities in the race, as well as women, Jews,
Elderly. Are some getting Bradley bumps and not others? I don't buy it, especially as a consistent factor nationally. Maybe for Iowa alone...maybe. Perhaps the people who say they like him and would vote for him actually will.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: writingprof on November 30, 2019, 06:00:35 AM

Ah. That explains why cities in which black voters represent a majority are such paradises of good governance.

No, it explains why he's unelectable.
I know it's a genus.