News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Impeachment

Started by nebo113, September 22, 2019, 05:50:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

Quote from: kaysixteen on November 29, 2019, 09:40:31 PM
Mayor Pete is unelectable.  Because he's gay.  Like it or not.  Anyone who questions this, Google the 'Bradley effect'.

He is a pretty non-threatening gay guy. Christian, clean-cut, not sexy nor too pretty. Married with two lovely dogs. A resume any straight guy would be proud of.

Anselm

People are fickle.  Pete is new and a welcome change from the same old career politicians.  Maybe in a few weeks some other person will start trending in the polls.  I am sticking with Vermin Supreme to the very end.
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

writingprof

Quote from: ciao_yall on November 30, 2019, 10:45:08 AM
Mayor Pete is unelectable.  Because he's gay.  Like it or not.  Anyone who questions this, Google the 'Bradley effect'.

He is a pretty non-threatening gay guy. Christian, clean-cut, not sexy nor too pretty. Married with two lovely dogs. A resume any straight guy would be proud of.

The Christians who totally destroyed their credibility by voting for Donald Trump don't recognize Mayor Pete as a Christian.  So his religiosity will not help him in, e.g., the South.

ciao_yall

Quote from: writingprof on November 30, 2019, 03:52:24 PM

The Christians who totally destroyed their credibility by voting for Donald Trump don't recognize Mayor Pete as a Christian.  So his religiosity will not help him in, e.g., the South.

Being gay doesn't seem to be as much of a problem for Christians these days. They all know someone. Marriage is legal, like it or not. They are on to other things, like protecting the name of Thanksgiving.

traductio

Quote from: ciao_yall on November 30, 2019, 06:47:43 PM
Quote from: writingprof on November 30, 2019, 03:52:24 PM

Being gay doesn't seem to be as much of a problem for Christians these days. They all know someone. Marriage is legal, like it or not. They are on to other things, like protecting the name of Thanksgiving.

Ugh. I didn't know until just now about the new fictive war on Thanksgiving. Sometimes I'm glad I no longer live in the U.S., if only because there's at least a first-level filter on the news I read about the country. (It's home, I tell people, and home is home, just like family is family. You love it even when you don't.)

kaysixteen

You miss my point.  Millions of Americans do not think he's a Christian, neither do they recognize him as married.  Some of them would ignore their religious opinions and vote for him anyhow.  Others, the Bradley effecters, would say they would then won't anyhow.  Many won't even lie about voting for him. 

And that's not even counting the great percentage of black democrats who won't vote for him for other reasons.

writingprof

Quote from: kaysixteen on November 30, 2019, 09:52:58 PM
You miss my point.  Millions of Americans do not think he's a Christian, neither do they recognize him as married.  Some of them would ignore their religious opinions and vote for him anyhow.  Others, the Bradley effecters, would say they would then won't anyhow.  Many won't even lie about voting for him. 

And that's not even counting the great percentage of black democrats who won't vote for him for other reasons.

This.  And one might add that his sexuality might itself suppress the black vote if he were the nominee.  It's racist to know that, but there it is. 

I don't think Buttigieg has much of a chance to win the nomination, but, if he does, he will have to play the race card repeatedly to overcome anti-gay sentiment in the black community, as well as some of his police-violence peccadillos.  Because he's a lightweight and a fraud--the gay Obama!--he will do so clumsily and alienate two white voters for every black voter he gains.  That would be fun.

mamselle

I can't find the article I read yesterday that pointed out that simply being impeached means that he won't be eligible for a successor's pardon, as Nixon was by resigning. However, this site has an interesting instructional component as well as a basic discussion of the issues involved:

https://www.heritage.org/constitution/#!/articles/1/essays/18/punishment-for-impeachment

This article summarizes the criminal side of the situation, with or without impeachment.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2019/11/30/trump-impeachment-elie-honig-cillizza-the-point-vpx.cnn

Several British papers have also had insightful analytic articles--they understand our situation better than many of our own citizens seem to...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

mahagonny

Quote from: writingprof on December 01, 2019, 05:57:50 AM

This.  And one might add that his sexuality might itself suppress the black vote if he were the nominee.  It's racist to know that, but there it is. 

I don't think Buttigieg has much of a chance to win the nomination, but, if he does, he will have to play the race card repeatedly to overcome anti-gay sentiment in the black community, as well as some of his police-violence peccadillos.  Because he's a lightweight and a fraud--the gay Obama!--he will do so clumsily and alienate two white voters for every black voter he gains.  That would be fun.

Not that we couldn't enjoy a nice blood-sport election together, but haven't you posted that you despise Trump? So I wonder how it would be fun to watch how no one can beat him.

writingprof

Quote from: mahagonny on December 03, 2019, 09:56:52 AM

Not that we couldn't enjoy a nice blood-sport election together, but haven't you posted that you despise Trump? So I wonder how it would be fun to watch how no one can beat him.

In the spirit of this thread, I suppose I should say that I plan to vote for Pence, as Trump is about to be removed from office.  However, that's obviously not the case, so I'll simply confess that I don't vote and don't much care who the president is.  I'll never support a baby-murderer, so that eliminates most Democrats, and it's difficult to see how any educated adult could support Trump.  My vague preference is to see a win by a Democrat with no actual beliefs (e.g., Biden).  I can't imagine he would get up to much mischief. 

ciao_yall

Quote from: writingprof on December 03, 2019, 10:18:08 AM

In the spirit of this thread, I suppose I should say that I plan to vote for Pence, as Trump is about to be removed from office.  However, that's obviously not the case, so I'll simply confess that I don't vote and don't much care who the president is.  I'll never support a baby-murderer, so that eliminates most Democrats, and it's difficult to see how any educated adult could support Trump.  My vague preference is to see a win by a Democrat with no actual beliefs (e.g., Biden).  I can't imagine he would get up to much mischief.

Maybe if we called school shootings "mass late-term abortions" that would eliminate the pro-NRA Republicans for you as well?

mahagonny

I wonder what the chances are that Donald Trump has never caused pregnancies that have been terminated. Given that he's already told us that his inability to restrain himself from kissing women with whom he has no relationship, as long as they don't stop him (6'3" 250 lb man) makes for good entertaining conversation.

nebo113

Quote from: ciao_yall on December 03, 2019, 11:00:36 AM
Quote from: writingprof on December 03, 2019, 10:18:08 AM

Maybe if we called school shootings "mass late-term abortions" that would eliminate the pro-NRA Republicans for you as well?

YOU WIN THE INTERNETZ!!!

mamselle

Quote from: mahagonny on December 03, 2019, 11:21:01 AM
I wonder what the chances are that Donald Trump has never caused pregnancies that have been terminated. Given that he's already told us that his inability to restrain himself from kissing women with whom he has no relationship, as long as they don't stop him (6'3" 250 lb man) makes for good entertaining conversation.

That's worth a research grant, indeed.

Good question.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

writingprof

Quote from: mahagonny on December 03, 2019, 11:21:01 AM

It's so true. I was tempted to write, "Of course, Trump has no doubt paid for his share of abortions," but he's so cheap that he probably didn't actually pay for them.  He's a bad man, and no one should vote for him.

Quote from: nebo113 on December 05, 2019, 04:35:00 AM
Quote from: ciao_yall on December 03, 2019, 11:00:36 AM

YOU WIN THE INTERNETZ!!!

Really? Ciao wins the Internet for repeating a tired and ridiculous pro-"choice" talking point? The Internet is easily won these days, it seems.