News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Impeachment

Started by nebo113, September 22, 2019, 05:50:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahagonny

Let's take Trump out of the picture and talk about it again. If a politician (let's just say, randomly, a pro-life republican) causes an unintentional pregnancy and the woman wants to carry the pregnancy to term and give birth, what does the politician do? Does he announce the delivery date so people can get ready with cigars? Or does he say to the public 'unintended pregnancy which does not help my life particularly and hurts my career and my wife doesn't think much of it, but it's God's will, so it's the right thing for everyone.' Just wondering. Or how about 'Ben Franklin did it too."
Or does something else happen?
QuoteHe's a bad man, and no one should vote for him.

As opposed to Writingprof's approach, which is "I despise him, so I won't be voting."

Anselm

Quote from: mahagonny on December 05, 2019, 05:36:11 AM
Let's take Trump out of the picture and talk about it again. If a politician (let's just say, randomly, a pro-life republican) causes an unintentional pregnancy and the woman wants to carry the pregnancy to term and give birth, what does the politician do? Does he announce the delivery date so people can get ready with cigars? Or does he say to the public 'unintended pregnancy which does not help my life particularly and hurts my career and my wife doesn't think much of it, but it's God's will, so it's the right thing for everyone.' Just wondering. Or how about 'Ben Franklin did it too."

As opposed to Writingprof's approach, which is "I despise him, so I won't be voting."

I am not sure of specific examples but historically this type of scandal was covered up.   I do remember Strom Thurmond acknowledging his out of wedlock daughter late in life.
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

mamselle

When I was in France while the whole Clinton thing was going on, I consistently got two comments, solicited in direct conversation--or not.

One was, "Why are they doing this? He's a good president!"

The other was, "Oh, goodness, don't they know about Mitterand's daughter?" (who was quietly well-schooled and worked in a curatorial office in the Louvre. No-one knew of her existence until she appeared at her father's funeral.)

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

writingprof

Are you aware that I am the author of the unattributed "bad man" quote?  So, basically, you quoted me, then said my own quote is opposed to my approach.  That's a Fora first!

mahagonny

Quote from: writingprof on December 05, 2019, 04:53:07 PM

Are you aware that I am the author of the unattributed "bad man" quote?  So, basically, you quoted me, then said my own quote is opposed to my approach.  That's a Fora first!

Don't you feel an obligation to participate in the process? What was all that education for?

Quote from: Anselm on December 05, 2019, 12:23:37 PM

I am not sure of specific examples but historically this type of scandal was covered up.   I do remember Strom Thurmond acknowledging his out of wedlock daughter late in life.

You read me right. I was asking because I don't know. Good example, too. Later in life, Strom Thurmond had his alliances in place and everybody knew what a badass and skilled vote counter and manipulator he was. It was an opportune time to say the thing that would ease his conscience. But I was wondering about people who campaign on a pro-life platform, then pressure the woman they have impregnated to get an abortion, to save their career.

Anselm

But I was wondering about people who campaign on a pro-life platform, then pressure the woman they have impregnated to get an abortion, to save their career.

That accusation has surfaced at least once in the past decade but I don't remember his name.  I suspect that this has happened several times and then kept a secret.
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ciao_yall

Quote from: Anselm on December 05, 2019, 05:45:43 PM
But I was wondering about people who campaign on a pro-life platform, then pressure the woman they have impregnated to get an abortion, to save their career.

That accusation has surfaced at least once in the past decade but I don't remember his name.  I suspect that this has happened several times and then kept a secret.

Or who get a pal to take the fall for them?

Maybe even their campagin manager?

archaeo42

Quote from: ciao_yall on December 05, 2019, 09:43:31 PM
Quote from: Anselm on December 05, 2019, 05:45:43 PM

Or who get a pal to take the fall for them?

Maybe even their campagin manager?

A.J. Delgado and Jason Miller - Miller isn't a politician but was going to be the WH Comms Director.
"The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate."

mahagonny

Thanks for the answers. John Edwards of course ran on anything but a pro life campaign, but in any case...the dishonesty is outrageous. Sorry I voted for him in 2004.
I think I know where this kind of discussion leads. The Christians on the right will say 'you don't have to worry about being a hypocrite if you have the luxury of writing your own moral code to fit the behavior you like.' Thus a pro-life candidate gets called a hypocrite when he violates his moral code, while getting no credit for accepting a more strict code.
Except just because you think morality can be looked at in more than one way or can exist without it being the unshakeable word of God (especially over one's lifetime or more) doesn't mean you think the concept of morality itself is no more serious, ponderous, difficult than deciding which entree to order from the menu.
Don't ask me! Some of you would know a lot more about this.

nebo113

Quote from: Anselm on December 05, 2019, 12:23:37 PM

I grew up in SC back in the '60s and his mixed race daughter was no big secret.  He fathered her by a servant working in the family home....think white male privilege and power used against a poor woman of color in servitude.

writingprof

Quote from: mahagonny on December 05, 2019, 05:23:03 PM
Don't you feel an obligation to participate in the process? What was all that education for?

No. I float above the process in a cloud of privilege. The education was "for" getting me a university sinecure. It worked.

Also, all this talk about the abortion hypocrisy of right-wing politicians is a red herring. If a pro-gun-control official shoots someone, does that somehow negate all pro-gun-control arguments?

polly_mer

Impeachment polls still indicate about half and half of the US public per https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/impeachment-polls/?ex_cid=rrpromo

Meanwhile in the world,

France is having riots in the streets
Chile has had recent riots in the streets
Bolivia, Chile, Ecuador, and Haiti have been having riots in the streets with Bolivia's president fleeing to Mexico.
Hong Kong has riots in the streets

Perhaps I missed where the US is having riots in the streets over our government.  What I see is a lot of CSPAN being simulcast on other networks and late-night comedians having new fodder every day.

If anyone can point me to where I've missed how life as we know it in these US is being disrupted outside of media outlets, then I'd appreciate it.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

mahagonny

Quote from: polly_mer on December 06, 2019, 07:10:33 AM
Impeachment polls still indicate about half and half of the US public per https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/impeachment-polls/?ex_cid=rrpromo

Meanwhile in the world,

France is having riots in the streets
Chile has had recent riots in the streets
Bolivia, Chile, Ecuador, and Haiti have been having riots in the streets with Bolivia's president fleeing to Mexico.
Hong Kong has riots in the streets

Perhaps I missed where the US is having riots in the streets over our government.  What I see is a lot of CSPAN being simulcast on other networks and late-night comedians having new fodder every day.

If anyone can point me to where I've missed how life as we know it in these US is being disrupted outside of media outlets, then I'd appreciate it.

So far, not as much as the POTUS would prefer. He has offered to pay the legal bills for those supporters who would be willing to beat up people who've heckled him, but they're not taking him up on it that much. I think this is a reason to be afraid.
And this:   https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45340275
By all means vote for Trump if that's your inclination. Labor advocacy will be somewhat worse off.

Descartes

Quote from: writingprof on December 03, 2019, 10:18:08 AM
Quote from: mahagonny on December 03, 2019, 09:56:52 AM
Quote from: writingprof on December 01, 2019, 05:57:50 AM
Quote from: kaysixteen on November 30, 2019, 09:52:58 PM
You miss my point.  Millions of Americans do not think he's a Christian, neither do they recognize him as married.  Some of them would ignore their religious opinions and vote for him anyhow.  Others, the Bradley effecters, would say they would then won't anyhow.  Many won't even lie about voting for him. 

And that's not even counting the great percentage of black democrats who won't vote for him for other reasons.

This.  And one might add that his sexuality might itself suppress the black vote if he were the nominee.  It's racist to know that, but there it is. 

I don't think Buttigieg has much of a chance to win the nomination, but, if he does, he will have to play the race card repeatedly to overcome anti-gay sentiment in the black community, as well as some of his police-violence peccadillos.  Because he's a lightweight and a fraud--the gay Obama!--he will do so clumsily and alienate two white voters for every black voter he gains.  That would be fun.

Not that we couldn't enjoy a nice blood-sport election together, but haven't you posted that you despise Trump? So I wonder how it would be fun to watch how no one can beat him.

In the spirit of this thread, I suppose I should say that I plan to vote for Pence, as Trump is about to be removed from office.  However, that's obviously not the case, so I'll simply confess that I don't vote and don't much care who the president is.  I'll never support a baby-murderer, so that eliminates most Democrats, and it's difficult to see how any educated adult could support Trump.  My vague preference is to see a win by a Democrat with no actual beliefs (e.g., Biden).  I can't imagine he would get up to much mischief.

Really?  Why is that?  Because he says uncouth things and gets caught on mic saying them?  If you believe in conservative values, he has been a great boon to the cause with the judges he has appointed.  Domestically, things are going very well - I understand he can't really take credit for the economy, but it was his to tank. 

Yes, personally, he's a disaster, but I care much more about what he DOES in the policy sense than what he does in his personal life or what he's caught saying.