News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cathwen

Good afternoon!

QB yesterday with a hint for the last word, arrowroot. QB today with hints for the last two words.

LB: rapido-obstinancy. I was really surprised that rapido was accepted, but I am not complaining!

Ab_grp, don't you just hate it when a repair person comes and does something simple that you should have thought of? When my induction range stopped working, the repairman asked, "Did you check the circuit breakers?" Uh...no. Turns out that was the problem.

I hope that your husband's appointment goes well, and that his issues are not serious.

Happy puzzling!

Langue_doc

Afternoon!

Pangram and above genius. Last words were calla and lilac.

ab_grp, hope the cardiologist appointment was just routine, and you had a good Facetime visit with youngest and partner.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good day!

Whee, got to QBABM (just had to edit since I had one word left when I posted)! Husband got it early.  Congrats on getting there yesterday, cathwen! We had team QB.  I needed bacilli, flak.

No luck on LB again!

Thanks for the good health wishes, cathwen and Langue_doc! He has been having some electrical issues lately and had to wear a monitor all of the previous week, so this was the follow up with his cardiologist about those results.  Looks like he may either have a thyroid issue, so will be getting bloodwork to check that out and/or will be a good candidate for something called ablation.  It seems to be an outpatient procedure kind of like an angiogram or cath lab where they will see what's doing what or not doing what and do some cauterizing? It should help.  In the meantime, he is starting a different blood thinner.  One of the contraindications is apparently eating lime.  Glad I looked that up, because we have lime pretty much every night squeezed on fish and veggies or in ceviche.  I'm not sure that's enough to be a problem, but we are not taking chances until he can get ahold of the doctor on Monday.  So doctor is not super alarmed, but it is just hard dealing with medical issues that compound or cause other medical issues.  He's in a weird place of sometimes needing to take more of one heart medication when the arrhythmias start or his heart rate gets too high, but that makes his blood pressure too low, so he gets dizzy.  So he needs to exercise but may be pushing too hard or who knows what.  Anyway, at least there's some stuff to investigate and a path forward and it doesn't sound completely dire! I am gunshy about him going into the cath lab setting again since last time you may recall he was just getting an angiogram and found out he had to have open heart surgery. 

Cathwen, hah sorry to hear that about the elusive circuit breaker solution! I really wish they could just ask that on the phone.  Though I guess they are happy to make money or even after hours money not breaking a sweat.  I think it's hard these days as well because so many warranties state that you can't mess around with the unit at all and if a qualified service person doesn't make the repair the warranty is void, etc.  It's quite a racket.

Langue_doc, thanks! It was a nice video call.  I have only used that app once before, for a quick telemed visit.  Somehow child and partner were centered nicely, and no matter where we put the tablet we looked tiny.  That just made me think that I should see if there's some setting like autofocus that I can turn off.  Now that this kid lives full time in their university town with partner, I guess it's good to figure out video call technology.

Sorry for all the rambling!

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good day!

Finally got to genius with the pangram.  Seems like a tough one today for some reason.  Yesterday got to QBABM with last word vivid, also husband's last word.

No luck on LB.  I just haven't had as much time to look at it lately but will try again today.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good afternoon!

I never finished QB yesterday—missed evidence/d/ing and veggie. Today I'm at genius with the pangram.

QB was interrupted yesterday by a daughter in distress. She and her wife were driving down from Maine and their car broke down in northern Connecticut, about 50 minutes away from us. Parents to the rescue! We drove up and waited with them for a tow truck to arrive (that's another whole story), which finally did show up. She's planning to rent a car to drive home tomorrow, then return, and we can drive her back to pick up her car (assuming it can be repaired—that's a big question). Drama to be continued!

LB: Before the drama began, I found overwhelmed-doubt. Talk about appropriate!

Wishing your husband all the best, ab_grp. Heart issues are scary.

Happy puzzling!