Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Venting Thread

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 07:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langue_doc

Quote from: downer on October 27, 2022, 10:04:41 AM
Quote from: Langue_doc on October 27, 2022, 05:58:10 AM
This goes beyond a vent--I just voted; not only did I have to hold my nose, but also suppress my gag reflex.

On the bright side, I didn't have to stand in line at a polling site.

Now you have me wondering which way you went.

Ha! I knew who I was voting for as well as against even before I got the absentee ballot. Of the major players, at both the state and federal levels, there was only one who was corruption/scandal free, so there wasn't much of a choice.

If you live in the city, you're probably aware of the issues and also the articles and editorials in the NYT and the Daily News.

Here's the latest from NYT: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/27/nyregion/hochul-governor-zeldin-democratic.html

The Daily News appears to remain non-committal: https://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/ny-edit-hochul-zeldin-debate-20221027-qsrtfmmrcvhs3luaw6i67q7umy-story.html

fishbrains

People! Halloween is not a federal holiday! We will have class! WTF?
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

jimbogumbo

I read something online with the headline "What is open on Halloween" and laughed out loud. I kid you not.

hmaria1609

Quote from: jimbogumbo on October 30, 2022, 01:20:50 PM
I read something online with the headline "What is open on Halloween" and laughed out loud. I kid you not.
Here are some food related deals and discounts:
https://wtop.com/food-restaurant/2022/10/halloween-giveaways-and-discounts-around-the-dc-area/
*Grins*

ergative

Various misaligned clock changes across international boundaries meant that I missed a scheduled weekly zoom with my Grandma.

mythbuster

First, My alarm clock decided that last night was the end of DST. So I overslept and was almost late for my morning meeting.
      Now I have spent the last 30+ minutes trying and failing to get a batch of photos moved off my phone and my google photos account and transferred into the google drive folder for the event organizers. There seems to be no easy way to do this, and when I download them them onto by computer than then upload them into the drive, they no longer open. GRRR.

mamselle

There's a workaround for that . Can't recall it now, but search for "Google photos stuck" and follow the instructions.

Google wants to rule your life.

After you're clear, there's a way to disconnect them from Google in your phone's Settings menu.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

jimbogumbo

Sat with phone beside me for over four hours today waiting for a telehealth visit. Call after 45 minutes, told they are probably running late. Just called again, told I was listed as a no show. Said I should have received multiple calls/texts. I said but nay, while trying to hold my temper. Was told "I really don't know what to say" by receptionist. I say please connect me to someone who CAN say, still under control. Get the we'll call you back within 48 business hours message.

Not a happy camper.

AmLitHist

Amazon Music can bite me.  (Yes, yes, I know about the evils of Amazon.  When I can afford my ethics, I'll stop using Amazon.)

They added millions of "free" songs to Prime Music, but now you can't choose which song you want to hear--everything is on shuffle.  I changed over to Jango yesterday.

My main use of music, outside of Sirius XM in my car, is to play in Teams starting at 15 minutes before the class meeting begins.

I should cross-reference this with First World Problems.

Parasaurolophus

A new arrival asked, online, about winter here. I said it was mild.

Someone else responded thusly:

QuoteNot particularly cold or snowy? Lol...you haven't lived here long have you. [We have] several microclimates all over the [area]. I've had over a foot of snow on my deck nearly every single year since we moved here 13 years ago. I've lost power for close 48 hours and a countless other times at over 12 hours. Multiple years we ran out of places to pile the snow we cleared

I've bolded the funny bits.
I know it's a genus.

dr_evil

Really, cats! My teaching/work headphones?! The ones with the nice microphone so students can hear me on Zoom? Those are what you choose to chew on. I was gone for maybe five minutes. Clearly you hate me, or the universe hates me, or something...there's definitely some hate going on. Like my hate of cats, it's back.

As if things haven't driven me nuts enough this semester - hospital visits, complaining students, doctor visits, people bugging me for all kinds of information, students failing.  Stop the earth! I'm ready to get off.

I have a serious yoga/meditation session planned for later today. I just hope it helps.

clean

I work with idiots and assholes. 

How much longer can I tolerate this?

My preliminary retirement date is in 783 days. That is not a promise; I could envision that I would work an additional 18 months or so after that.  Beyond that, though, I can fathom it, but it is not (as I sit here today) really something I can seriously consider.  I qualify for health care in retirement in 529 days!  After the week Ive had with these people, I wonder IF I can make it even that many days!
(AS I did NOT win the Big Draw last night - interthread alert- it makes it easier to make it that many days, though!  )

IF this week's lunacy continues, though, it will be easier to leave!
(and Im sure that they wont miss me either!!) 

It has been a while since I checked my count down timers and really asked, "can I make it?"  This is one of those weeks, though. 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

ergative

Quote from: clean on November 08, 2022, 08:53:37 PM
I work with idiots and assholes. 

How much longer can I tolerate this?

My preliminary retirement date is in 783 days. That is not a promise; I could envision that I would work an additional 18 months or so after that.  Beyond that, though, I can fathom it, but it is not (as I sit here today) really something I can seriously consider.  I qualify for health care in retirement in 529 days!  After the week Ive had with these people, I wonder IF I can make it even that many days!
(AS I did NOT win the Big Draw last night - interthread alert- it makes it easier to make it that many days, though!  )

IF this week's lunacy continues, though, it will be easier to leave!
(and Im sure that they wont miss me either!!) 

It has been a while since I checked my count down timers and really asked, "can I make it?"  This is one of those weeks, though.

Sympathy, clean. But be careful about counting down days to retirement where anyone can here you. Nothing good comes of that.

clean

QuoteBut be careful about counting down days to retirement where anyone can here you.

You are right.
Not because I might die in the days before, but because I want it to be a surprise, to some extent, but also because I may get screwed otherwise.
"He applied for 'development leave'?  Dont waste it on him, he is counting down the days to retirement, and is looking for a paid year off to practice retirement" (which would be true). "Give it to the newer gal who might be here longer" (though she is looking to have the time off so that she can find out what part of the country would be better for her to move to).
"Let HIM teach this one off class while X is on sick leave.  Better get all you can from him while he is here!"
"Go ahead and screw his schedule with both morning and night classes, and encourage him to retire.... Besides, we can only screw with him so much longer anyway". 
"Dont spend money upgrading his software/computer, we will just have to buy a new one for his replacement, and the replacement will want a brand new one"
"Put him on ALL the time sucking committees that meet weekly at 8 am..."

So I agree that I should count down on my phone, but maybe triple the number of days, or change it to "65 is closer every day!"  (Im only 58, by the way).

But It is 5 am, and I am up on the computer in the The Fora.  I have just served on a T&P committee that is going to tenure someone that is clearly shirking on part of their job.  And for the second time (as there was also a department committee) parts of the majority are pushing to remove ENTIRELY the thoughts of the minority on the committee from the letter. 
The department got away with it because the dean miscommunicated a policy which removed the ability of the minority to argue their position (which is too long to explain).
So this time elements of the majority are using the point that as it wasnt in the department letter it neednt be in the college letter.  (They are aware of the dean's error because it was brought up at the start of the committee process with the dean in the room)

So, there you go.  My morals are not shared by my coworkers. I dont know how long I can hold my nose and pretend that this "only do the absolute minimum you can get away with" or only what you want to do, and to hell with the rest attitude.  (What is in it for ME, to hell with the students). 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

apl68

I just got Visa statements for both my own personal account and the company Visa card at the library.  In both cases they charged for last month's credit card bill, and added a late fee.  We DID pay last month's bill on the company account, on time!  As for my personal card, apparently they failed to send me a statement last month, making it effectively impossible to pay.  This is dirty dealing!
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.