News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Vaccination nation

Started by downer, December 23, 2020, 07:05:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

apl68

My parents are scheduled for their second dose on Saturday.  It will be good to know that they're fully protected.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

clean

I am scheduled for Dose 2 on Saturday.

Also, my state has opened the 1C group to be those over 50 starting Monday. 

The county has a distribution center for this area of the state (this and the neighboring 5 counties).  Some of the mass clinics are open (just show up) and others require that you register.  You can register by phone or computer.  I was able to get through, online, though I didnt know it was successful initially as I didnt get the appropriate computer reply, but I did get the alert to show up and I was on the list when I did! 

Saturday I have to be at the regional fairgrounds at 8 am for a 9 am appointment.  I think that 5000 shots are being scheduled for that day.

It is harder for people who are not able to drive to get there, but the system seems to be moving along.
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

spork

Why it's good to have medical professionals as part of one's social network: I was texted by a neighbor who is a nurse about the availability of vaccination appointments for people in our zip code who are younger than 65. She sent me the link to the website for registration; I promptly entered my information and got an appointment within an hour. I arrived 10 minutes early, and good thing I did, because I was one of the last half dozen people in line to get vaccinated. Everyone after that had to go home because the day's supply had run out. Apparently the registration system had a glitch and was letting more people register than there were doses available.

Currently running a fever, which makes me happy, because it probably means my immune system is reacting to the vaccine. 
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

mythbuster

I got vaccinated today! I went to the FEMA run vaccination site, where the word is out that they are vaccinating all educators regardless of any state age restrictions. I would not have qualified in my state otherwise.  It was smooth and well run. I did not have an appointment, had a choice of either Pfizer of J&J, and was in and out in less than 30 minutes.
   There was a steady stream of people arriving and a small line has formed at the entrance as I was leaving. Everyone was happy to be there and I effusively thanked all the Army folks running the site.
    I opted for J&J based on variant coverage, as the variants are running rampant here. My arm is slightly sore and I have a light headache- all good signs of immune engagement. Mr. Buster got the Moderna shot through his workplace in January, so between us I'm hoping we have different epitope reactivities.

So my suggestion is to look for a Federally run site, as they may be more lenient in who they will vaccinate than the state regulations claim. Biden wants all teachers vaccinated now, and that includes all of us. I think it likely also includes daycare workers- who really do need coverage to get us back up and running.

evil_physics_witchcraft

SO and I just got our first dose of Moderna through the waste list. Seems unreal since we are both under 50.

spork

Fever is back, probably because the acetaminophen that I took ten hours ago has worn off. Also getting some muscle pain. Generally I feel like crap. There is a chance that my reaction to the JNJ vaccine is due to being infected with Covid-19 back in April -- I was not tested for active infection then, but I had a weird sore throat for a few days and my wife reported losing her sense of taste. Never got an antigen test given that no one knows how long immunity from infection lasts.

Anyway, I'm very happy to have these symptoms because it means my immune system might be producing antibodies.     
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

Cheerful

Happy for everyone getting vaccines, thanks for sharing.

Interesting to have two here getting the more recently-available J&J already.  I like the idea of one dose only.

Stay hydrated.  Pamper yourselves.  Have a good weekend.

apl68

My parents should be lining up to get their second doses as I type this.  We've also learned that there will be a vaccination clinic in our county in two weeks.  "Essential workers" of various kinds will be eligible.  That includes the members of our staff!  I'm going to strongly encourage staff members to take advantage of this opportunity.  We can work out schedules so that they can get vaccinated during work hours.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

clean

im home!

I left the house about 720.  Got the the fair grounds, lined up, and registered by 810.  Left the fair grounds by 930.

My bride (vaccinated a few weeks ago) went with me.  (I think that she wanted me to take her to breakfast... Well, I KNOW that she wanted me to take her to breakfast because she made me take her to breakfast! )

Too early to report on any side effects. 

As I was up early, I may need a nap soon! 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

apl68

Mom and Dad got vaccinated as scheduled on Saturday morning.  Dad had only a mild reaction.  Mom had fever, chills, aches, and a very bad evening.  She was much better by Sunday evening.  They should both be good from here on out.

I've just registered online as an "Essential Government" worker--which library workers officially are now in our state--at a local vaccine clinic scheduled for Friday 3/26.  Now to see about talking the rest of the staff into taking advantage of the opportunity.

Anselm

My niece works at a grocery store.  She just told me that she will get a $100 bonus after she gets her second shot.  My greatest motivation for getting it is that I likely may need it to fly internationally.  When this crap settles down I plan a long vacation far away.
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

apl68

Our state has now opened vaccination to all people 16-64 with underlying health risks, a wide assortment of essential workers in fields like food service and finance, and prison inmates.

I had a long talk with one staff member today who had indicated that she had no plans to vaccinate.  I pleaded with her to sign up for the vaccination clinic that's coming up.  She refused to budge.  Her resistance just bewilders me.  Not even going to try offering a vaccination bonus.  It would probably just make her feel kind of insulted.

dismalist

QuoteNot even going to try offering a vaccination bonus.  It would probably just make her feel kind of insulted.

Might depend on how much is on offer. :-)
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Vkw10

My university finally succeeded in getting vaccines from state. They also got some from county, to serve as a vaccination site. The vaccination site is adjacent to central transfer point for bus routes and county is waiving bus fares for everyone on vaccination days. Smart move, since the main county vaccination site isn't near bus route and our site is in a building that's been mostly empty this year.

Glad I've already been vaccinated, but the campus site is extremely popular with department staff.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

ciao_yall

In our area educators are vaccinated and the K-12 schools have opened up. For some reason our college is still dragging its feet on reopening for summer and fall. Not sure why.

Seems you could allow faculty to decide how they prefer to teach and go from there?