News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Never Buy any Candy

Started by Juvenal, October 29, 2022, 04:07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ergative

Quote from: Puget on November 02, 2022, 06:35:34 PM
My class ate most of the left over candy today, but I held back the really good stuff (peanut butter cups and peanut m&ms) for my lab, where I can also raid them (but they will not last long, even though one of my grad students inexplicably doesn't like chocolate).

It never ceases to amaze me how peanut butter cups are so head-and-shoulders superior to all other kinds of candy.

Juvenal

Quote from: ergative on November 03, 2022, 12:51:07 AM
My class ate most of the left over candy today, but I held back the really good stuff (peanut butter cups and peanut m&ms) for my lab, where I can also raid them (but they will not last long, even though one of my grad students inexplicably doesn't like chocolate).

It never ceases to amaze me how peanut butter cups are so head-and-shoulders superior to all other kinds of candy.

What peanut butter cups offer is offered by fewer other confections,  Here we have sugar, salt, fat, ground peanut, nicely blended, and then enrobed in chocolate.  They are not so much sweet as savory.
Cranky septuagenarian

AmLitHist

I was shocked on Tuesday when stopping at my local Walmart: they had an entire aisle of Halloween candy, with display boxes on both sides of the aisle, all marked half price.  And the boxes were nearly all half full, or more.  This was the good stuff: nearly all chocolate and brand name (not the nasty off-brand or junky candy that nobody wants). 

I was proud of myself:  I only bought one bag for ALHS (Reese's pumpkins) and one for Kid #2 (Snickers).  None for me, though I'd have loved to dive right in!

ergative

When I went to my local grocery store on Tuesday, the Halloween candy was gone and the Christmas candy wasn't up yet! I felt enraged and cheated. Still do.

Puget

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on November 02, 2022, 07:42:52 PM

Gasp!

I KNOW! I'm trying not to let this disturbing revelation affect my general view of her. I suppose I should be happy that this leaves more for the rest of us.

Quote from: Juvenal on November 03, 2022, 06:44:02 AM
Quote from: ergative on November 03, 2022, 12:51:07 AM

What peanut butter cups offer is offered by fewer other confections,  Here we have sugar, salt, fat, ground peanut, nicely blended, and then enrobed in chocolate.  They are not so much sweet as savory.

They really hit all the hedonic points. The dark chocolate TJs ones are the best, but I'm unlucky/lucky that I don't have one super nearby. 
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

ergative

Quote from: Puget on November 03, 2022, 10:12:10 AM
The dark chocolate TJs ones are the best, but I'm unlucky/lucky that I don't have one super nearby.

Gosh, I remember those. There was a TJs I'd pass every day to get to campus when I was a grad student, and I would stock my office with those dark chocolate cartons. Then I would eat them too fast and regret it for a week or two, before succumbing again. No TJs around here, alas, not for many many leagues and an ocean. But there's one not too far from my parents' house. I might make some pointed hints about Christmas gifts.

AvidReader

Quote from: ergative on November 03, 2022, 11:10:51 AM
Quote from: Puget on November 03, 2022, 10:12:10 AM
The dark chocolate TJs ones are the best, but I'm unlucky/lucky that I don't have one super nearby.

Gosh, I remember those. There was a TJs I'd pass every day to get to campus when I was a grad student, and I would stock my office with those dark chocolate cartons. Then I would eat them too fast and regret it for a week or two, before succumbing again. No TJs around here, alas, not for many many leagues and an ocean. But there's one not too far from my parents' house. I might make some pointed hints about Christmas gifts.

Lidl US--if you are lucky enough to live near one, which we do not--has a very affordable version of these dark chocolate ones, as well as a knockoff candy bar (can't recall which) with a spectacular name, something like "chocolate caramel cookie bar in hydrogenated fatty oil." Spouse and I were such fans of the truthful advertising that we bought one for everyone's Christmas stocking one year.

AR.

Liquidambar

Quote from: AvidReader on November 04, 2022, 01:58:14 PM
Lidl US--if you are lucky enough to live near one, which we do not--has a very affordable version of these dark chocolate ones, as well as a knockoff candy bar (can't recall which) with a spectacular name, something like "chocolate caramel cookie bar in hydrogenated fatty oil." Spouse and I were such fans of the truthful advertising that we bought one for everyone's Christmas stocking one year.

I love that!  If I run into it at Lidl, I will also buy it for everyone's Christmas stocking.
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. ~ Dirk Gently