News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

How do we....

Started by mamselle, May 18, 2019, 04:37:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

I'm seeing, and have posted to, several different threads with questions, all answered, so far, thanks!

But since the heading of this board might be where people look first, I thought this might help funnel questions about new fora features to one place (mods, please move if I'm wrong!)

My question du jour...

I wanted to populate my tag line, sign line, etc. (and was thinking I'd just put my old post count in there with a + for continuity's sake) but the Settings, Profile, etc. Tabs don't seem to offer those options.

Or are they just in process, so I can wait if need be....just thought I'd check to be sure.

Thanks!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

polly_mer

You should be able to make modifications to your profile.

You should see a row of headings that starts with Home on the left (under Hello mamselle, under links to new posts, under the date).  In that row is Profile.  Click Profile.

You should now have a lower row of headings that includes Modify Profile.  Hover over Modify Profile and choose Forum Profile.  That brings up the fields you can fill out for personal text (displays below your title), custom title (goes above your rank), and signature (goes at the end of every post).

If that doesn't work for you, then report back because that functionality shouldn't be limited to people with the permissions I have.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

mamselle

Ok, thanks, found it.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

science.expat

New question

On the Chronicle site, I frequently use the tabs 'unread posts since last visit' and 'new replies to your posts'. Any chance of getting something like that here?

Cheers, SE

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: science.expat on May 18, 2019, 05:13:49 PM
New question

On the Chronicle site, I frequently use the tabs 'unread posts since last visit' and 'new replies to your posts'. Any chance of getting something like that here?

Cheers, SE

Top left corner of the screen, just under the big bold heading that says "Hello science.expat".

Or does that not show up for you?
I know it's a genus.

eigen

Ok, so I added a profile field that is "CHE Posts". It will show under your post count here as a separate and unchanging tally- edit away!
Quote from: Caracal
Actually reading posts before responding to them seems to be a problem for a number of people on here...

science.expat

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on May 18, 2019, 05:19:00 PM
Quote from: science.expat on May 18, 2019, 05:13:49 PM
New question

Cheers, SE

Top left corner of the screen, just under the big bold heading that says "Hello science.expat".

Or does that not show up for you?

Sorry, I'd missed it. Thanks.

mystictechgal

A suggestion regarding the headings (?) — the options we have. Not sure what shows up for whom (based, I'm guessing, on permissions) but my options are "Home, Help, Search, Admin, Moderate, Profile, My Messages, Members, Log Out".

As I'm not an Administrator, I should not be seeing that as an option. I am a Moderator, so seeing that one is fine, but if non-moderators are also seeing it, they shouldn't. Yes, actually using them may require a password (Admin does), but that's just begging some hacker/troll to go for it. Best not to even suggest those as a possibility to anyone who doesn't already have access to their capabilities. There has to be a way to either hide/disable them, altogether, or to restrict them by linking them to permissions.

polly_mer

Quote from: mystictechgal on May 20, 2019, 09:46:46 PM
A suggestion regarding the headings (?) — the options we have. Not sure what shows up for whom (based, I'm guessing, on permissions) but my options are "Home, Help, Search, Admin, Moderate, Profile, My Messages, Members, Log Out".

As I'm not an Administrator, I should not be seeing that as an option.

You are a Senior Moderator, which means you have privileges that are found under the Admin menu as well as Moderator privileges.  Thus, you are seeing the appropriate list.  When I log on as the Villain (a regular member), I have far fewer options.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

namazu

As I'm not an Administrator, I should not be seeing that as an option. I am a Moderator, so seeing that one is fine, but if non-moderators are also seeing it, they shouldn't. Yes, actually using them may require a password (Admin does), but that's just begging some hacker/troll to go for it. Best not to even suggest those as a possibility to anyone who doesn't already have access to their capabilities. There has to be a way to either hide/disable them, altogether, or to restrict them by linking them to permissions.
As a rank-and-file member, I see neither Admin nor Moderate.

mamselle

Quote from: namazu on May 20, 2019, 09:50:27 PM

As a rank-and-file member, I see neither Admin nor Moderate.

Moi non plus (me, either...)

M.

eigen

You actually are an admin. Not the admin, but senior moderators have broad ranging admin permissions.

Sorry, I thought I'd sent a PM when I promoted you, but conference hotel WiFi has been bad lately.
Quote from: Caracal
Actually reading posts before responding to them seems to be a problem for a number of people on here...

Juvenal

No one--although I say this not having looked and looked, but the "search" function brings up nothing--has said "I am posting as a sock, because..."

I would suppose there is no real objection to such?  That any fora member can start a new account, become a probationary member again (there), and then use the new account for "sock" purposes?  Assuming the moderators don't deem the sockishness trollish or spammish.
Cranky septuagenarian

mamselle

Well, according to received fora wisdom, there are really only 6 true posters, and all the rest are socks....and we have about 240 posters signed up now...

So we must have about 40 socks per person already, and no-one has complained.

Oh-- Except me. I'm not a sock.

Until this athlete's foot clears up, I'm going sockless in flip-flops....

M.

Thursday's_Child

Quote from: polly_mer on May 18, 2019, 04:46:20 PM
You should be able to make modifications to your profile.

You should see a row of headings that starts with Home on the left (under Hello mamselle, under links to new posts, under the date).  In that row is Profile.  Click Profile.

You should now have a lower row of headings that includes Modify Profile.  Hover over Modify Profile and choose Forum Profile.  That brings up the fields you can fill out for personal text (displays below your title), custom title (goes above your rank), and signature (goes at the end of every post).

If that doesn't work for you, then report back because that functionality shouldn't be limited to people with the permissions I have.

I just tried to change mine & it no longer gives me a custom title block to modify.  Everything else is there, just not the one I now need to change.