Cheating during the online exam conducted using Respondus Browser and Monitor

Started by kerprof, December 14, 2020, 07:46:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerprof

I conducted multiple choice exam remotely using Respondus browser and respondus monitor.

Looking at the videos, my TA says he is suspecting couple of students used dual screens to cheat.

I am wondering how to gather evidence that they did use dual screens to cheat during the test taken using respondus browser.

Please advise....

kiana

The pattern I see with this is that there are three separate places their eyes go during the test.

1) To the screen when they are reading. This is whenever they open a new question.
2) To the other monitor when they are trying to find resources for the problem.
3) Down, when they are writing on their desk. Their writing area is typically in front of the other screen but they are looking up to copy.

I am only reporting this if it is a) blatant and b) pulls them up to a passing grade. I have so much cheating going on that if they cheat their way to a D or F+ I don't have the time or energy to deal with it, especially since they tend to ignore messages once they realize that they've been caught.

Aster

Another common method to bypass most browser monitors is to simply paste stickie notes all around the periphery of the monitor (where most webcams are placed) and against the back wall. The student will appear to be looking at the computer screen the entire time.

arcturus

Quote from: Aster on December 14, 2020, 09:28:36 AM
Another common method to bypass most browser monitors is to simply paste stickie notes all around the periphery of the monitor (where most webcams are placed) and against the back wall. The student will appear to be looking at the computer screen the entire time.
However, to do this they would have had to actually study (i.e., create the sticky notes), so it could be inferred that the attempt to cheat in this manner may accidentally result in some learning.

Aster

Quote from: arcturus on December 14, 2020, 10:13:30 AM
However, to do this they would have had to actually study (i.e., create the sticky notes), so it could be inferred that the attempt to cheat in this manner may accidentally result in some learning.
A lot depends on how the assessment is structured. If the professor was naive enough to create an online assessment that was purely regurgitation-knowledge based, that's just asking for somebody to cheat easily, and cheat successfully.

But if the professor created an online assessment based mostly on critical thinking and process-based problem solving where it would be difficult/impossible to pre-stage answers or look them up on Google, then yes, the creation of the "cheat sheets" plastered all over the place may actually serve to enhance student learning. I actually use this psychology-based approach for most all of my major assessments. It basically neuters the crud out of both in-class and online cheating. It's one of the most innovative things I ever did. Writing the assessment questions themselves are the most complicated part, but not having to worry about cheating is worth it to me.

the_geneticist

Quote from: Aster on December 14, 2020, 10:39:41 AM
A lot depends on how the assessment is structured. If the professor was naive enough to create an online assessment that was purely regurgitation-knowledge based, that's just asking for somebody to cheat easily, and cheat successfully.

But if the professor created an online assessment based mostly on critical thinking and process-based problem solving where it would be difficult/impossible to pre-stage answers or look them up on Google, then yes, the creation of the "cheat sheets" plastered all over the place may actually serve to enhance student learning. I actually use this psychology-based approach for most all of my major assessments. It basically neuters the crud out of both in-class and online cheating. It's one of the most innovative things I ever did. Writing the assessment questions themselves are the most complicated part, but not having to worry about cheating is worth it to me.

And this is why I am a fan of the "write better exam questions d@mn it".  If a student only knows the key terms, then they haven't learned nearly as much as a student who can use their skills to analyze or compare or predict.  And they have to know what the key terms mean to apply these skills.  And it's not that hard to write good questions if you don't put it off until the last minute.

arcturus

Quote from: the_geneticist on December 14, 2020, 03:51:38 PM
Quote from: Aster on December 14, 2020, 10:39:41 AM

And this is why I am a fan of the "write better exam questions d@mn it".  If a student only knows the key terms, then they haven't learned nearly as much as a student who can use their skills to analyze or compare or predict.  And they have to know what the key terms mean to apply these skills.  And it's not that hard to write good questions if you don't put it off until the last minute.
I agree. I have no advice to give the OP, but I am grateful that I chose to design my exams in my online course to be open note, open book, etc so that I don't have to worry about cheating. Even with 100% multiple choice (so that the correct answer is in front of them!), I have found that the students in my large, online, GenEd STEM course earn exam grades with the appropriate range of scores (i.e., those who have studied and mastered the material do well, those that have not, do not). Of course, as a GenEd course, I am not concerned about my students retaining specific content, but rather being able to apply the concepts and being able to identify "reliable sources" if they should need to know something specific in the future. Of course, I do use some "anti-cheating" technology, such as randomizing the order of answers, randomizing the order of questions, and a reasonable time limit (equivalent of approximately 2.4 minutes per question). I highly recommend this approach, since it reduces the stress on the students (no one watching and no need to implement new technology at the time of the exam) and on me (no need to watch and no misconduct reports to file). YMMV.

Cheerful

Quote from: arcturus on December 14, 2020, 04:21:21 PM
I agree. I have no advice to give the OP, but I am grateful that I chose to design my exams in my online course to be open note, open book, etc so that I don't have to worry about cheating. Even with 100% multiple choice (so that the correct answer is in front of them!), I have found that the students in my large, online, GenEd STEM course earn exam grades with the appropriate range of scores (i.e., those who have studied and mastered the material do well, those that have not, do not). Of course, as a GenEd course, I am not concerned about my students retaining specific content, but rather being able to apply the concepts and being able to identify "reliable sources" if they should need to know something specific in the future. Of course, I do use some "anti-cheating" technology, such as randomizing the order of answers, randomizing the order of questions, and a reasonable time limit (equivalent of approximately 2.4 minutes per question). I highly recommend this approach, since it reduces the stress on the students (no one watching and no need to implement new technology at the time of the exam) and on me (no need to watch and no misconduct reports to file). YMMV.

Admirable.  Respondus is controversial.  I won't use it.