News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Research Expenditure: How to be reimbursed ?

Started by Stevension123, May 28, 2020, 11:47:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevension123

Good morning everyone,

A few years ago, I applied for funding twice but my applications were rejected. I chose to pursue my research because I believed in it and was confident I could complete it, and that even if it was of limited interest to the internal research grant committee, it would be of interest to the broader academic committee, and therefore would be worthy of a publication in a top journal. In the end, it led to a publication in a A journal. Nonetheless, the project incurred some expenses ($5,000), which I paid for. I was willing to pay for it because I knew it would led to a top publication. I was right. It was worth the risk.

Can I ask the dean / head of research if the university can repay those costs (after all, $5,ooo is not an excessive amount for an A publication)  ?  Has anyone been in that situation before ? Could you share your experience ?

I suppose it depends on whether you were in a research university as well as on funding availability and relationship with your dean.

Thanks for your input.

Morden

Are you talking about expenses incurred doing the research or publishing open access? Our university has a fund to help support open access publication. I have never heard of someone without a grant being reimbursed after the fact for expenses occurred doing research, but maybe that happens in some places.

polly_mer

You were not funded to do the research.  There is no mechanism to get money when your proposals were rejected.

Generally, the researcher eats the cost in this situation and uses the paper as support for the next round of proposals.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

Stevension123

No, I am not taking about expenses incurred doing the research or publishing open access.

I am taking about IT development expenditures, which I needed to complete my project.

polly_mer

If you spent money without prior approval, then you're not going to be reimbursed.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

pigou

Quote from: polly_mer on May 28, 2020, 01:15:25 PM
If you spent money without prior approval, then you're not going to be reimbursed.
Usually this, but I've gotten expenses reimbursed that in theory weren't reimbursable (I hired a programmer as a contractor, outside the usual channels). So everything is open to interpretation.

This case is a bit different, though, because it sounds like those expenses were incurred a while ago. Is it possible that the IT development expenses are still useful now? Although you almost surely won't get it reimbursed (the IRS has limits on how far back you can be reimbursed), you might be able to get a small internal grant that lets you pay for another project. You'd still be out the funds, but at least you could go do something else without having to apply for a new grant.

Ruralguy

Yes, see if it can help you get some sort of internal research grant or monetary award
in the future. Many schools, even non-research universities have such funds.  See if there's something you are about to do that can get reimbursed, and ask for the money.