News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

"Will I ever write a book?"

Started by glendower, May 26, 2021, 07:08:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Morden

QuoteI did see a really great twitter thread on self-publishing

Although the author makes a number of good points about promotion and readership, he plays down the impact that self-publishing would have on job search committees, tenure committees, and promotion committees. Even if a book is positively reviewed (and the decision to self-publish is made long before any venues agree to review it), university committees are going to be very skeptical. Don't do it if you need this book as academic currency.

Hibush

Quote from: darkstarrynight on July 22, 2021, 04:12:32 PM
I had a difficult time with my co-authors and my publisher, so next time I will definitely write a book solo. I have thought about it, and one of my ideas for a longer review article that I shared with a mentor could lead to a book, but I think it is too niche for anyone to read. I am just so glad I negotiated the first right of refusal clause to be removed from the book contract so I am not stuck with a crummy publishing experience again. I did see a really great twitter thread on self-publishing and saved it for the future: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1401533042355851271.html

The book proposal was already good enough for Oxford to sign a contract, so having a book of that quality is probably a prerequisite for his kind of success. He also did more marketing than most presses, which is understandably helpful. Most self-publishing authors can't get columns about their book published in major newspapers, for instance. So some initial public status is likely necessary.

apl68

Starting on the second draft this week.  No question about WRITING it.  PUBLISHING it will be another matter.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Morden

apl68

If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

mamselle

Quote from: apl68 on July 26, 2021, 07:45:25 AM
Starting on the second draft this week.  No question about WRITING it.  PUBLISHING it will be another matter.

Chime.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.