News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Fulbright Program

Started by spork, May 26, 2021, 02:34:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spork

Anyone here ever decline a Fulbright award? Wondering if that blacklists me forever from Fulbright. I just got notified that I'm the recipient of an award that begins in a few months and lasts the entire 2021-2022 academic year. My teaching schedule is already set and I did not get the sabbatical I had applied for. Taking the award would be the equivalent of a 50% salary reduction -- no way will my employer keep me at full pay for the year if I'm not physically present.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

mamselle

Did they know you had received the award when you asked?

Would it make enough difference to tell them about your changed status if you asked again?

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

spork

Application and decision dates for each differ. They are not on the same timeline.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

hazelshade

Quote from: spork on May 26, 2021, 02:34:24 PM
Anyone here ever decline a Fulbright award? Wondering if that blacklists me forever from Fulbright. I just got notified that I'm the recipient of an award that begins in a few months and lasts the entire 2021-2022 academic year. My teaching schedule is already set and I did not get the sabbatical I had applied for. Taking the award would be the equivalent of a 50% salary reduction -- no way will my employer keep me at full pay for the year if I'm not physically present.

I wouldn't be particularly worried here--there are loads of people who've received Fulbrights, declined them, and won in a subsequent cycle. (Googling "fulbright CV declined" turns up tons.) My institution has had at least one person decline a Fulbright in favor of a juicier award and will probably have one current awardee rescind an offer that's been made untenable by COVID-19; I suspect CIES has seen a larger-than-usual number of declines over the past two cycles and will think nothing of it.

However, one thing you might consider is contacting program staff, explaining the situation, and seeing if they'd be willing to let you defer it for a year (if this would solve anything for you) or if you can convert the grant to a Flex option that might be easier to work around your teaching. It may be that nothing is possible here, but it can't hurt to politely inquire. 

And also--congratulations on winning the grant, whether or not you get to take it (and I hope that you do, sooner or later)!

mamselle

Yes, congrats!

I'm a little surprised that the powers-that-be wouldn't realize they'd have bragging rights if you were able to take it.

I see many articles placed in many different venues for academics who win a Fulbright, a MacArthur, Ford or whatever.

That's why I was thinking it might help them re-think the sabbatical decision...(cynical, me, I know...)

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.