News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Beware of breaches in blind submissions privacy

Started by Myword, May 27, 2021, 02:43:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Myword

If you use Researchgate and maybe other such sites for papers you intend to publish later, sentences from the paper and title may appear in a Google search, and lead the reader to the site with your name and info about you.
(This is how we find plagiarism in student papers.)

I discovered this and immediately deleted the paper from ResearchGate, no mention of it. That alone may not delete the web results. Google has an easy method that you can remove your paper from web results, depending whether or not you have control over the site. Your actions start with search engines, not the media site.
As a result, I will retitle my papers and will resubmit them. They were not final copies.

Other breaches may occur. I found a letter from a journal editor thanking the reviewer for the work. The manuscript number ID was there.
I myself found who reviewed my unpublished book in the manuscript itself.

mamselle

Thanks for this thread, I was trying to think where to publish something similar I just found a couple days ago.

An older annotated bibliography that's been on my Academia site for awhile has shown up as a "print-on-demand" item on Amazon, along with a "how-to" page for danced worship.

I wrote and requested that it be removed, I should go look and see if it's gone.

I want to get things published, but not that way--and I'd like to be the beneficiary, not A'zon, thank you very much.

The nerve!!

M. 
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

lightning

A lot of sub-fields are very niche. If someone really wanted to, they can find out who authored a paper.