News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

DOE early career proposals?

Started by ocean2428, July 01, 2019, 11:39:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc700

I think we shouldn't totally give up hope for another few weeks.  Your prior message stated your colleagues were informed on June 17.  We had a 2 week extension for submission this year so even if there weren't additional delays due to COVID (for example in getting reviews), we still have another 2 weeks to be on track from last year.  The rumors I heard about were from high energy so that could be a very different date than BES?

Please do let us know if your PO responds or if you hear anything else.

Are you also gearing up for an NSF CAREER?  I will submit one of those this summer too...

ocean2428

2019 - due date was 4/29, and,2020 due date was 3/30. So the Jun 17 based on 4/29 dude data. As you said, HEP can be different from BES. The only information that I know is last year they called the winners from BES and FES on the same day.

Sure, I'll let you know. As of today no reply.

Yes, I am planning to submit a proposal to NSF early career, knowing the results of DOE EC and the reviewer's comments will help to shape the NSF proposal. I hope we will hear from DOE at least a couple of weeks before the deadline.

doc700

I saw a bunch of announcements start to come out. 

https://newscenter.lbl.gov/2020/06/23/doe-early-career-research-awards/

Nothing yet from the DOE but doesn't look promising...

ocean2428

https://www.energy.gov/articles/department-energy-selects-76-scientists-receive-early-career-research-program-funding

Decline email will come by the end of the day and reviews will be available in PAMS. 

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

doc700

I just saw the reviews and it was 1 6 and 3 5s.  Does anyone happen to know to what it actually takes to receive funding?  There is some useful feedback on how I could slightly alter a few things but it would be helpful to know how much further this has to go to actually receive funding?

Quote from: ocean2428 on June 23, 2020, 11:52:14 AM
https://www.energy.gov/articles/department-energy-selects-76-scientists-receive-early-career-research-program-funding

Decline email will come by the end of the day and reviews will be available in PAMS.

ocean2428

Wow, there are excellent scores. I still can't see reviews.

Last year I got two 6's, 5, and 4, and it was encouraged. So I request feedback form PM.

His reply:

"I really can't provide much feedback beyond the reviewer input. Given that a proposal was encouraged, it was topically relevant to the ECMP portfolio.
Out of fairness to others submitting proposals, I have a policy of not collaborating with PIs on improving proposals for future submissions.
I hope you understand.
Perhaps you could seek feedback from senior colleagues?
Please feel free to contact me with your best science ideas going forward."

One of my colleague who got the award last year, scores were three 6s and 4

ocean2428

I still can't see my review. When did you receive your reviews? PAMS still says under review. I was hoping to see my reviews so that I can do the necessary upgrades to my NSF proposal.

Quote from: doc700 on June 23, 2020, 03:07:11 PM
I just saw the reviews and it was 1 6 and 3 5s.  Does anyone happen to know to what it actually takes to receive funding?  There is some useful feedback on how I could slightly alter a few things but it would be helpful to know how much further this has to go to actually receive funding?

doc700

I got mine yesterday late afternoon.  My proposal says "declined" in PAMS.  Hopefully yours come soon!

I really need *a* win with one of these grants.  I haven't received any yet and the funding situation is getting dire.

ocean2428

I hear you. It is one of those things that you need everything to align perfectly. I thought your scores were excellent. I am surprised they didn't pick yours. Did you talk to your PM?

I still didn't get my reviews. I wrote to my PM again but no reply. Seems like my PM not that helpful.

merminwagner

Why do you need *a" win with one of these early-career grants?

Quote from: doc700 on June 24, 2020, 05:36:00 AM
I got mine yesterday late afternoon.  My proposal says "declined" in PAMS.  Hopefully yours come soon!

I really need *a* win with one of these grants.  I haven't received any yet and the funding situation is getting dire.

doc700

I mean that I have been applying to several grants (early career and not) and haven't been awarded a single one.  Clearly to support a lab I need a lot of funding long term, but short term really really need one of these to come through.  Its comforting to get some good reviews but practically need the funding to pay students in the group.  It would be great to get several sources of funding but just getting a single grant at the moment would help a lot.

research_prof

Quote from: doc700 on June 24, 2020, 01:02:26 PM
I mean that I have been applying to several grants (early career and not) and haven't been awarded a single one.  Clearly to support a lab I need a lot of funding long term, but short term really really need one of these to come through.  Its comforting to get some good reviews but practically need the funding to pay students in the group.  It would be great to get several sources of funding but just getting a single grant at the moment would help a lot.

I hear you. I am in the same boat.

doc700

Also I love your user name!  That is a great theorem.

Quote from: merminwagner on June 24, 2020, 10:02:08 AM
Why do you need *a" win with one of these early-career grants?

Quote from: doc700 on June 24, 2020, 05:36:00 AM