Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

DOE early career proposals?

Started by ocean2428, July 01, 2019, 11:39:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc700

Quote from: soccer on April 29, 2021, 12:35:56 AM
Quote from: doc700 on April 28, 2021, 12:37:36 PM
"Word on the street" is that all successful applicants have been notified -- public abstracts/revised budgets/updated C&P were due to DOE last week.  Awards expected to be published in ~3 weeks.

Ocean -- didn't you get NSF CAREER this year?  I thought one could only get NSF or DOE but wasn't eligible for the second?

depends on your field. no official policy says that one would preclude the other. but funds in some fields are scarce, nsf and doe pms talk to each other and they don't double fund the same PI, even if the PI are proposing two different projects.

This is what I've been told too.  I don't think there is any conflict with the 3-year DOD proposals but had heard it was exceedingly unlikely to get both the NSF CAREER + DOE Early Career as both are 5-year "career" awards.  I have also heard there is discussion between POs and if one was funded the other PO would decline, regardless of whether there is overlap in the research objectives. 

ocean2428

How reliable is the information you heard? I sent an email to my PM and below was his reply. I don't know what to make of his/her reply. Does this mean they haven't finalized the awards or they simply don't want us to know the declination until they announce the winners?

"I don't have any information at this time. I have highlighted your work at the xxx. Also, the xxx xxxxx highlighted your work.
I think your work is exceptional. Let's chat after we know the outcome of the ECRP. On a side note, I saw that you received a CAREER award from NSF (congratulations). Is there any overlap between the two proposals?"

"Word on the street" is that all successful applicants have been notified -- public abstracts/revised budgets/updated C&P were due to DOE last week.  Awards expected to be published in ~3 weeks.

Ocean -- didn't you get NSF CAREER this year?  I thought one could only get NSF or DOE but wasn't eligible for the second?

doc700

I reliably know of multiple people who have been recommended/have had materials due by the end of last week.  I've reliably heard results would be posted in ~3 weeks.  That said, its possible different programs are different?  One would expect to hear very soon though as PO recommendations need to go through DOE before everything is posted on the same date?

That said, that is a very encouraging email!  It sounds like you could get funding through the program regardless?

Quote from: ocean2428 on April 29, 2021, 10:15:23 AM
How reliable is the information you heard? I sent an email to my PM and below was his reply. I don't know what to make of his/her reply. Does this mean they haven't finalized the awards or they simply don't want us to know the declination until they announce the winners?

"I don't have any information at this time. I have highlighted your work at the xxx. Also, the xxx xxxxx highlighted your work.
I think your work is exceptional. Let's chat after we know the outcome of the ECRP. On a side note, I saw that you received a CAREER award from NSF (congratulations). Is there any overlap between the two proposals?"

ocean2428

You have solid information. I highly doubt that DOE different divisions process EC awards separately. At least in the past I know three different divisions contacted the winners on the same day. MY PM probably been nice and he should know whether I made the cut or not. I am sure it's a decline for me. Well here goes my all three attempts.

Quote from: doc700 on April 29, 2021, 12:45:30 PM
I reliably know of multiple people who have been recommended/have had materials due by the end of last week.  I've reliably heard results would be posted in ~3 weeks.  That said, its possible different programs are different?  One would expect to hear very soon though as PO recommendations need to go through DOE before everything is posted on the same date?

That said, that is a very encouraging email!  It sounds like you could get funding through the program regardless?

doc700

You have the NSF Career though!  And it sounds like well-regarded research and a lead on funding from the DOE regardless?  I think for the DOE it doesn't matter as much if you get in through Early Career or in through the general program..it matters if you get in as DOE seems to have much more sustained funding.  I would assume your grant was extremely well received from the email and the PO will offer some other options.  I really thought that it wasn't possible to get DOE Early Career + NSF Career which could be the technicality here?

Quote from: ocean2428 on April 29, 2021, 02:36:16 PM
You have solid information. I highly doubt that DOE different divisions process EC awards separately. At least in the past I know three different divisions contacted the winners on the same day. MY PM probably been nice and he should know whether I made the cut or not. I am sure it's a decline for me. Well here goes my all three attempts.

lee2002hu

Not really. I know a few people have DOE Early Career + NSF Career.

Quote from: doc700 on April 29, 2021, 03:28:35 PM
You have the NSF Career though!  And it sounds like well-regarded research and a lead on funding from the DOE regardless?  I think for the DOE it doesn't matter as much if you get in through Early Career or in through the general program..it matters if you get in as DOE seems to have much more sustained funding.  I would assume your grant was extremely well received from the email and the PO will offer some other options.  I really thought that it wasn't possible to get DOE Early Career + NSF Career which could be the technicality here?

sunpak

I know at least five colleagues in the past who have received both NSF Career and DOE Career awards.

Quote from: doc700 on April 29, 2021, 03:28:35 PM