News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Blurbs for 1st Academic Monography

Started by Bookworm, January 07, 2022, 09:21:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bookworm

I'm nearing the finish line for my first book! Final-final draft after clearance review is due in a few weeks, and my book form gives me the opportunity to list high profile academics for endorsement/blurbs. I'm to give names and email addresses. What's the strategy for a first-time author/assistant professor who knows OF a lot of academics, but not necessarily knows THEM? Should I list a few that I think might give a good blurb-- and if they're too busy or not interested, they can just decline? I'll list my diss chair since I'm sure he'd give a blurb, but not sure how wide (or how aspirational) a net I should cast. Given that the last three academic years have been impacted by the pandemic, I just haven't done the kind of networking I might need to list folks that I'm confident know and respect my work. From the review process, I know at least one of the anonymous reviewers is willing to be blurbed too.

Bookworm

First monograph*  I promise I'm copyediting my manuscript better than this post!

mamselle

How many do you need?

It sounds like you have two already, so just one more might be all that's going to fit on the back cover.

Better-known authors, by my observation, get lots of one-liners from all sorts of folks who want to weigh in, and those spill all over both covers and a couple of additional end papers if there's a way to squeeze them in.

But, a first book, unless it's already short-listed for prizes, etc., not so much, I'd think.

Usually the blurbs help site it in its intellectual environment and might even explain its significance if it's a more obscure topic.

However, I've just been in on the production side....hoping to arrive where you are in another year or so, myself.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Cheerful

Congratulations on your first book, Bookworm!

I wouldn't overthink this.  Select people who are qualified to comment on your work and whom you'd be proud to have as "blurbers."  List as many as they provide space for, a reasonable number.  Some may decline.  Maybe check other books from your publisher to determine how many blurbs they include.  I've seen some recent academic books with many blurbs.

Again, congrats!

Ancient Fellow

Quote from: Bookworm on January 07, 2022, 09:21:53 AM
I'm nearing the finish line for my first book! Final-final draft after clearance review is due in a few weeks, and my book form gives me the opportunity to list high profile academics for endorsement/blurbs. I'm to give names and email addresses. What's the strategy for a first-time author/assistant professor who knows OF a lot of academics, but not necessarily knows THEM?

Usually, the press will derive 'blurbs' from the positive manuscript reviews that got the press to agree to publish. Anything else is a welcome extra. You should have a list of people that you would like to have recommend your work, but also to receive and read a copy of your work - I suppose you could call it a backdoor networking opportunity. They may all be busy, in which case you will still have your original reviewer blurbs. And congratulations!