News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Troublesome contributor

Started by Hegemony, July 06, 2019, 01:25:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cheerful

I've dealt with a similar "difficult person" as book editor.  The approach that worked was being direct and non-emotional, focusing on facts and firm deadline.  Deflecting things to "publisher requirements" is smart.

Do a google or library catalog search to identify three or four suggested readings, done.  Have your GA format the bib. and take that tedious detail off author's plate.

The author sounds troubled.  Be glad you're not suffering from his woes.

"Below are the three readings we will list for 'suggested readings.' If you don't want these listed,  send me three or four by [deadline].  Please send me sources cited by [deadline].  We will do the formatting."

Not much work left if all you need is a few suggested readings and bibliography.

Hegemony

Cheerful, what's a GA?  Asking seriously.

Ruralguy

I'm with fleabite:

"Suggest" the bibliography and readings yourself from a cursory investigation.

Tell him that this is what will go through by date certain unless he (a) sends changes or
(b) decides to opt out.

State that these requirements are mandatory as insisted upon by the editor/publisher.

My guess is that he will likely send nothing, or send a complaining email with no solutions offered. Either way, you'd just implement the cursory biblio.

Don't get into a fight after getting this far.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Hegemony on July 07, 2019, 01:06:48 PM
Cheerful, what's a GA?  Asking seriously.

Graduate assistant?
I know it's a genus.

Hegemony

Ah — some of you must have more affluent universities than I do.  A graduate assistant who helped with a book would be paid out of my own pocket.  And knowing our graduate students, I'd then have to spend many hours correcting all the mistakes the graduate student had introduced.  It's a lovely idea, though!

Cheerful

Quote from: Ruralguy on July 07, 2019, 01:09:42 PM
Don't get into a fight after getting this far.

+1

Sadly, I can't count on grad assistants for quality work, either.  I do all my own work on most things because many grad assistants are neither highly-motivated to deliver good work nor detail-oriented.

Sounds like you're almost done with this book.  If you can give up another weekend of your own time, perhaps you can compile the suggested readings and format the bib as others also suggest.

Good luck!

mamselle

Also, if it's worth paying a bit for, an academic editor in your field could probably turn it around in a couple of hours.

I've done similar work for others, and have posted links to professional editirs' networks before (even here, new as it is, I think); search for "CAEN editor" either on this search engine or Google.

Or PM me.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Hegemony

I have devised a workaround via another contributor!  Now just to muster the self-control not to reply intemperately to the troublesome contributor. Thank you all for your thoughts.

mamselle

Good for you!

Stay steady...

;--》

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.