Can "symbiosis" refer to the relationship between more than two entities?

Started by Vark, July 31, 2022, 11:54:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vark

As per the subject line, can the word "symbiosis" be used to refer to the relationship between more than two entities? Can three (or more) entities have a "symbiotic" relationship?

dismalist

Quote from: Vark on July 31, 2022, 11:54:04 AM
As per the subject line, can the word "symbiosis" be used to refer to the relationship between more than two entities? Can three (or more) entities have a "symbiotic" relationship?

Yes. Here are some examples from ecology.

https://projects.ncsu.edu/cals/course/ent525/close/symbiosis.html

[They give "competition" an undeservedly bad name, though! :-)]
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Parasaurolophus

A priori, I'd say sure--in particular, it seems fine as long as you extend the term to a restricted set of players (e.g., three). But the less restricted its application, the less informative the term is. Eventually, for example, you'll have described an entire ecology as symbiotic, or the practice of farming, and that seems uninformative. So my armchair intuition is that the paradigm cases of symbiosis all involve two players, but you might occasionally find a triad out there.

But, you know. Biology and ecology aren't my things.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.