News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Paperback Questions

Started by AvidReader, August 22, 2022, 06:18:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AvidReader

I found out yesterday that my first book has been released as a paperback. Yay! It has been completely beyond any reasonable price range, so I'm delighted that people can now buy it without selling their firstborn children.

However, the paperback came out several months ago, and I heard nothing about this--before or after the release date--from my publisher. Is this normal? I would have thought they would want me to promote its newfound affordability. (Also, I'm a little worried that I need to arrange new image permissions for a new edition, but the publishers haven't mentioned it and I am loath to fork up those fees, as I've not recouped what I paid for the first edition). I've just written to ask for my contractual author copies, but I find the complete lack of communication in the meantime utterly perplexing.

Publishing is so odd.

AR.

mamselle

What does your original hardcover contract say?

There may be language about paperback rights in it, somewhere.

But you probably checked that first.

Mm
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

AvidReader

They absolutely have the rights to republish--I was just surprised they didn't notify me, if only for advertising reasons. Why would they not want the author to post and talk about the newly affordable book? I went to a conference this summer where I was the keynote, and the organizers asked if I wanted to bring copies of the book, but because I didn't know it was in paperback, I declined. Nobody there was going to buy a book at the hardback price point, and I would have had to buy my own copies ahead of time. Had I known it was in paperback, I probably would have taken a few!

My contract says I am responsible for all permissions and fees for copyright material and permissions thereof, and that I must provide a list of acquired permissions (which I did), but it doesn't specify anything about the second or later editions.

I have heard back, and will soon be getting paperback author copies in the mail, but I'm still perplexed by the lack of communication.

AR.

sinenomine

This thread led me to check on my book, and lo and behold, it's now out in paperback, with no word from the publisher. Like AR, I'm glad it's more affordable.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

AvidReader

Glad it's not just me, and glad your book is out in paperback! Yay!

AR.