News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

April Research Thread

Started by darkstarrynight, April 01, 2023, 11:50:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

Translation quota + writing the special issue submission today.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on April 20, 2023, 09:34:32 AM
Translation quota + writing the special issue submission today.

Wrote about 1400 words. It's taking shape! And since it has to be relatively short, I'm not far off from the end.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

More of the same, though I've caught a child-borne illness and feel like crap.
I know it's a genus.

darkstarrynight

Quote from: darkstarrynight on April 01, 2023, 11:50:29 AM
April Goals

• Continue data analysis from sabbatical project
  • Work on manuscript based on recent conference presentation
  • Finalize library repository
  • Get started on writing book now that contract has been signed!!!

This morning the librarian and I met for a half hour and shazam: the repository went live! Rather than embargo it, we are just going to withhold any announcement to the world until I get my manuscript done, so now I am very motivated to finish it before summer school begins. I am so excited! Three years of work and suddenly my archive is live!

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on April 21, 2023, 07:52:50 AM
More of the same, though I've caught a child-borne illness and feel like crap.

Managed my translation quota. But between the COVID and the hatchling not napping, I can't muster any more than that.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Better today. Back to the grindstone: quota, some writing.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on April 22, 2023, 06:34:45 AM
Better today. Back to the grindstone: quota, some writing.

Did it. Should hopefully get more writing time tomorrow.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

I'd like to get a goodly chunk of writing done today.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on April 23, 2023, 07:59:51 AM
I'd like to get a goodly chunk of writing done today.

About a thousand words, plus my quota. I'd like to be moving faster, but that's just because I'm excited and don't get to spend as much time on the writing as I'd like.
I know it's a genus.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on April 01, 2023, 12:47:31 PM
I'm hoping to make progress on the following in April:

• Book project #1 - priority is to identify and contact potential interview subjects for qualitative work
  • Book project #2 with colleague - polish and, if possible, submit proposal to potential publisher
  • Submit chapter 1 to publisher along with some additional details about our plans for the manuscript
  • Paper #2 - finish revisions and submit to journal with colleagues
  • Paper #3 - revise and submit to new journal with colleagues (desk rejection with option to make some minor edits and resubmit)
  • paper #4 - present at conference in a couple of weeks
  • Paper #4 - revise in light of conference comments and, if possible, send it off to a journal (sending this to a journal is a stretch goal, but not entirely unrealistic, especially if my co-author is able to dedicate time)

I made some progress on each of these projects over the last week. This week, I'm hoping to get paper #3 off and to do a little more on each of the book projects. However, grading will take priority, so we'll see how much research progress is really possible.

Parasaurolophus

Mostly translating, hopefully a bit of writing today.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on April 24, 2023, 07:07:16 AM
Mostly translating, hopefully a bit of writing today.

Hit my quota, did some last-minute Newsletter crap, and wrote about 800 words, and did some editing. I just have a small chunk to write, plus a conclusion, and I have a full draft which isn't due until the 15th!
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

I'll try to get that chunk written and some reorganization of the paper done.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on April 25, 2023, 09:21:13 AM
I'll try to get that chunk written and some reorganization of the paper done.

Hard to quantify exactly how much work I did, but it was a good bit. Maybe ~600 words, plus a pile of cuts and some re-organization. I still need to write the conclusion (ugh), but right now I think I've somehow managed to write a very good paper. Which is a little surprising, because this morning it was just an acceptable paper that didn't contribute much, philosophically-speaking. I don't understand how I do it.
I know it's a genus.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on April 01, 2023, 12:47:31 PM
I'm hoping to make progress on the following in April:

• Book project #1 - priority is to identify and contact potential interview subjects for qualitative work
  • Book project #2 with colleague - polish and, if possible, submit proposal to potential publisher
  • Submit chapter 1 to publisher along with some additional details about our plans for the manuscript
  • Paper #2 - finish revisions and submit to journal with colleagues
  • Paper #3 - revise and submit to new journal with colleagues (desk rejection with option to make some minor edits and resubmit)
  • paper #4 - present at conference in a couple of weeks
  • Paper #4 - revise in light of conference comments and, if possible, send it off to a journal (sending this to a journal is a stretch goal, but not entirely unrealistic, especially if my co-author is able to dedicate time)