Sabbatical Abroad Without Family: How Did it Work

Started by Yawo, April 13, 2023, 02:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yawo

Hello:  Following this previous thread: (https://academia.stackexchange.com/questions/63758/profs-who-have-done-a-full-year-sabbatical-overseas-with-a-family-how-did-you-m), I am equally curious about whether any prof has done a full-year sabbatical overseas without their family (in this case spouse).

I am due for a sabbatical in about 2yrs, and exploring some very useful options abroad.  Unfortunately, my spouse's job is not flexible enough for them to leave and take another job abroad. They have to remain in the US, unless they take a leave of absence, which they may or not qualify for.

Given my age, it may not be possible to postpone the sabbatical much later.

Has anyone found themselves in this situation, and taken a sabbatical leave abroad without their spouse?

How did it work - How did you manage the plans and communications around leaving the spouse behind? How often did you and spouse travel back and forth for visits?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

cheers, Yy

arcturus

It seems like this is a variation of the two-body problem, but with a very limited time period over which it is a concern. You and your spouse will need to figure out how long you are willing to spend physically apart. You can then plan who will travel to whom. If your spouse has vacation days, they may be able to spend consecutive days with you in your sabbatical location.

All of this is more complicated if you have children or other family obligations.