News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

June Research Thread

Started by Parasaurolophus, June 01, 2023, 08:02:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 11, 2023, 07:43:26 AM
I'll try to write up my referee report today, and maybe start in on the R&R.

Wrote and submitted the report.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Should do some R&R work today. Not sure what else.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Got another R&R this morning, for my special issue submission from early April. Phew! R2 knows a lot about this (obscure) topic, and was excited to talk about it--they'll be easily satisfied. R1 wants the paper that was rejected last week, so that's going to be tough. I don't know that I can really satisfy them.

Today... Just the other R&R, I think. I need to give this one a little time to percolate.
I know it's a genus.

MarathonRunner

Finally finished the final formatting of the dissertation (so many rules!) Sent corrections to supervisor last Thursday, meeting this Thursday, hopefully corrections are good so I can deposit this thing and have all my PhD requirements completed.

eigen

Trying to balance a lot of different projects this summer.

I've got two pedagogy / DEI grants we've been awarded that I need to make plans for next year for.

I've got two manuscripts and one potential short micropublication that are in various stages of data collection / analysis / writing.

I've got an instrument grant that we need to start collecting quotes and making purchases off of for next year.

And I've got a lab full of undergrads to train / supervise / shepherd in collecting data.

Then on the side I'm trying to develop two new methods (to our lab), retrofit an instrument, and keep up some human tissue culture / microscopy experiments that are beyond what my undergrads can do at the moment to collect some preliminary data for a grant submission this Fall.

And then other various administrative (non-research) tasks.
Quote from: Caracal
Actually reading posts before responding to them seems to be a problem for a number of people on here...

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: MarathonRunner on June 13, 2023, 01:01:19 PMFinally finished the final formatting of the dissertation (so many rules!) Sent corrections to supervisor last Thursday, meeting this Thursday, hopefully corrections are good so I can deposit this thing and have all my PhD requirements completed.

Congratulations!

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 13, 2023, 08:31:17 AMToday... Just the other R&R, I think. I need to give this one a little time to percolate.

Bit of work on the R&R and the rejected paper.
I know it's a genus.

darkstarrynight

Congrats Parasaurolophus and eigen! This is great news! I am at a conference right now and many people are talking about the project I promoted late last week. The word is getting out and the response is very positive!

Parasaurolophus

Hoping for a somewhat longer stretch today in which to make progress on the first R&R.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 14, 2023, 07:05:48 AMHoping for a somewhat longer stretch today in which to make progress on the first R&R.

Not really longer, but did manage a decent but.
I know it's a genus.

Wahoo Redux

Selected sections to polish for written examples.  Done perhaps 1,000 additional words.

Still gathering sources for my strong central thesis, however, and crushed for time to get the reading done.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Parasaurolophus

I should work on one of the R&Rs, but I'm not really feeling it.
I know it's a genus.

MarathonRunner

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 15, 2023, 07:14:58 AMI should work on one of the R&Rs, but I'm not really feeling it.

R&Rs can be so tedious. " We thank the reviewer for their insightful question, in response, we have...."

Or "We thank the reviewer for their comment, while we agree that it would be interesting to examine xxxyy, it is beyond the scope of this paper, which seeks to..."

My sympathies. Which reminds me, I have a review to submit. :p

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: MarathonRunner on June 15, 2023, 12:31:47 PM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 15, 2023, 07:14:58 AMI should work on one of the R&Rs, but I'm not really feeling it.

R&Rs can be so tedious. " We thank the reviewer for their insightful question, in response, we have...."

Or "We thank the reviewer for their comment, while we agree that it would be interesting to examine xxxyy, it is beyond the scope of this paper, which seeks to..."

Oh man... it's hard to complain, since I'm always just aiming for the R&R rather than the acceptance, but I really hate dealing with them. It's brutal.

I worked on the most recent R&R, dealing with three of R2's comments (all relatively small and easily addressed); two more small ones to go, then the bigger one. And then R1, whom I won't be able to please and probably can't really fob off either because the paper has to stick to its current guns if it's to fit in this special issue.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

I anticipate I may not have a chance to do much today. But if I do, I guess it should be R&R work.
I know it's a genus.

MarathonRunner

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 15, 2023, 01:42:16 PM
Quote from: MarathonRunner on June 15, 2023, 12:31:47 PM

Oh man... it's hard to complain, since I'm always just aiming for the R&R rather than the acceptance, but I really hate dealing with them. It's brutal.

I worked on the most recent R&R, dealing with three of R2's comments (all relatively small and easily addressed); two more small ones to go, then the bigger one. And then R1, whom I won't be able to please and probably can't really fob off either because the paper has to stick to its current guns if it's to fit in this special issue.

All the best! I recently had a reviewer 2 ask me why we used a specific theoretical framework. Umm, because this paper is part of my dissertation that uses this framework? I didn't state it quite so boldly, but even if this framework might not have been the best to examine my research questions, two of the previously published papers provide support for its use, this one might not, so much, and the fourth paper is equivocal. I really wish I could tell reviewers "this is part of a dissertation using x framework to examine y. The results support/don't support the use of this framework, but can provide guidance for future research "

My dissertation is the first to use this framework to examine my issue(although widely used otherwise to examine many differences things).