News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

June Research Thread

Started by Parasaurolophus, June 01, 2023, 08:02:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

Today, I want to translate a little and maybe even make an official start on the next book (I unofficially started insofar as I have two papers, material from which will get used, but I want to get started on its standalone content).
I know it's a genus.

darkstarrynight

I completed a manuscript review yesterday and one today. I planned to get to the library for scanning, but experienced some horrible pain and could not lift my bag or walk without pain. I postponed that until after the holiday next week.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 28, 2023, 08:46:09 AMToday, I want to translate a little and maybe even make an official start on the next book (I unofficially started insofar as I have two papers, material from which will get used, but I want to get started on its standalone content).

I did a little translating and wrote ~1000 words to start the book, including some repurposing and paraphrasing from a paper I wrote. Maybe half of that was new. It's nothing fancy, but it's a start.

Quote from: darkstarrynight on June 28, 2023, 01:04:42 PMI completed a manuscript review yesterday and one today. I planned to get to the library for scanning, but experienced some horrible pain and could not lift my bag or walk without pain. I postponed that until after the holiday next week.

Oh no! But why? I hope you recover soon!

I know it's a genus.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on June 01, 2023, 08:42:34 AMI'm hoping to make progress on the following in June:
  • Book project #1 - make some progress on interviews, revise/polish chapters 1-3 and proposal
  • Book project #2 with colleague - make progress on conceptual framework and draft of chapter 1 (it would be great to send this off to the editor by the end of the month... we'll see)
  • Paper #1 with colleague - finish and submit to journal
  • Paper #2 with colleague - revise and resubmit to journal
  • Paper #3 with colleague - it would be nice to get the ball rolling on this, but it is lowest priority
  • Revise and resubmit short, non-refereed article to magazine
  • Paper #4 solo - revise and submit to new journal

I read and edited chapters 1 and 2 of my solo book project today (book project #1). Hoping to get to chapter 3 and the proposal tomorrow. I reached out to a couple of people for interviews a week or so ago, but no response yet. I think I'll have to pester them and also cast a wider net, but these will be July and August tasks.

Tomorrow I have a meeting scheduled with my coauthor for book project #2. I'm heading overseas tomorrow night for vacation, so going to nudge him to work on it while I'm gone.

darkstarrynight

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 28, 2023, 04:08:12 PM
Quote from: darkstarrynight on June 28, 2023, 01:04:42 PMI completed a manuscript review yesterday and one today. I planned to get to the library for scanning, but experienced some horrible pain and could not lift my bag or walk without pain. I postponed that until after the holiday next week.

Oh no! But why? I hope you recover soon!

Thanks. I have no idea - either I am just getting old or I overdid my workouts the past few days. Luckily, my spouse got me on an ice pack and handed me tylenol and I seemed better this afternoon. I hope it is very temporary! Thanks for your kind words.

treeoflife

I was not able to finish editing the last chapter of the book, hope to finish and send to the press by mid July.

Parasaurolophus

Bit of writing this morning, followed by some reading and then preparing course websites for July.
I know it's a genus.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on June 01, 2023, 08:42:34 AMI'm hoping to make progress on the following in June:
  • Book project #1 - make some progress on interviews, revise/polish chapters 1-3 and proposal
  • Book project #2 with colleague - make progress on conceptual framework and draft of chapter 1 (it would be great to send this off to the editor by the end of the month... we'll see)
  • Paper #1 with colleague - finish and submit to journal
  • Paper #2 with colleague - revise and resubmit to journal
  • Paper #3 with colleague - it would be nice to get the ball rolling on this, but it is lowest priority
  • Revise and resubmit short, non-refereed article to magazine
  • Paper #4 solo - revise and submit to new journal

I made enough progress on these book projects the last couple of days that I'm crossing them off the list for the month. And with that, I'm done for June.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 29, 2023, 11:28:54 AMBit of writing this morning, followed by some reading and then preparing course websites for July.

Courses ready, wrote ~400 for a paper (which will get converted into my next book), and read a goodly chunk.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Bit of translating, bit of reading today.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 30, 2023, 07:27:31 AMBit of translating, bit of reading today.

Only a bit, but did it.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 01, 2023, 08:02:35 AMMonthly goals:

• Finish my translation project.
  • Finish and submit June Chapter.
  • Start revising my resubmission.

I R&Red two papers, started working on revising a third, made a small official start on my next book, and got 61% of the way through a new translation projet. I think I refereed a thing, too.
I know it's a genus.