News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

August Research Thread

Started by Sun_Worshiper, August 01, 2023, 10:46:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on August 06, 2023, 08:44:42 AMNeed to make some writing progress on those revisions today.

Managed a tiny bit, but really not enough to be satisfying.
I know it's a genus.

billtsherman

316 words today.  Short go of it because I think the first draft is in a good stopping place.  Now to review it and see if I still agree with this tomorrow.

Getting everything ready to move and start the new job for the rest of the week.  Might be done writing for the week.

Parasaurolophus

I'd like to work on the revision, but I'm not sure I'll have the time to do so. If not, I'll definitely have a chance to finish reading for my referee report, and to read either for the revision or for the book symposium thing.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on August 07, 2023, 10:10:57 AMI'd like to work on the revision, but I'm not sure I'll have the time to do so. If not, I'll definitely have a chance to finish reading for my referee report, and to read either for the revision or for the book symposium thing.

Finished Newslettering, read my quota, read for the revision, read a third for my referee report.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Travelling, so nothing today.
I know it's a genus.

billtsherman

Sent first chapter over to some friends to see if it something beyond incomprehensible dribble.

I won't be back writing until 8/21.  Moving tomorrow and orientation and set up stuff for the new job will dominate next week I expect.

Parasaurolophus

Here begin many days of basically no progress on anything. It's necessary, but will be frustrating.
I know it's a genus.

treeoflife

The editing of the last chapter of the book is nearing the end. I hope that the manuscript will go to the press next week.
Yesterday I sent an article to a journal. I hope to have a clean desk in September.

Parasaurolophus

A full day of moving, followed by some late-night marking. I did, however, decline some invitations.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

I did a spot of marking, and a small chunk of referee report-reading. I should be able to generate the report tomorrow.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on August 01, 2023, 10:46:39 AMMy August goals:
  • Make progress on book project #1 - continue conducting interviews and writing, continue working with editor to get the proposal to where she wants it
  • Make progress on book project #2 w colleague - ball is in colleague's court
  • Make progress on article manuscript #1 w colleague - we need a full draft by the end of the month for a conference, ball is currently in colleague's court
  • Make progress on article manuscript #2 w colleague - ball is in colleague's court
  • Revise and submit rejected manuscript (#3) to a new journal

Had a paper rejected last week, so adding it to the list.

Parasaurolophus

My R&R was rejected again today--by what was clearly a different set of referees who wanted something closer to the original paper. Grr. It's especially frustrating because this is actually a good paper. It's somewhat polemical, sure, but it engages so carefully with so much of the literature, yet the booster claim there's some unspecified better version I've ignored so that I can cherrypick my dozens of sources. Really? Maybe the view under discussion just is that bad. It's something for which we have a mountain of empirical evidence going back sixty years indicating it's false, after all (and yet they think there's no such evidence... With that, I can't even.).
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Received the PhD thesis I'm examining today. Gonna manage a spot of grading, and maybe a glance at that.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on August 16, 2023, 05:19:20 AMReceived the PhD thesis I'm examining today. Gonna manage a spot of grading, and maybe a glance at that.

I did indeed manage that! I only have essays left to mark.
I know it's a genus.