News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

January Research Thread

Started by Parasaurolophus, January 01, 2024, 09:32:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on January 15, 2024, 08:13:42 AMToday, I definitely need to prep for Wednesday. But I'd like to R&R, too.

Wrote a bunch. Ended up 3000 words over the limit despite starting 1000 below (not counting the bibliography). Then I pruned mercilessly. Now I'm 1k above. I'ma call that acceptable. So: I'm done! Just have to craft my reply now, and give it a last read-through.

=D
I know it's a genus.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on January 15, 2024, 05:33:12 PM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on January 15, 2024, 08:13:42 AMToday, I definitely need to prep for Wednesday. But I'd like to R&R, too.

Wrote a bunch. Ended up 3000 words over the limit despite starting 1000 below (not counting the bibliography). Then I pruned mercilessly. Now I'm 1k above. I'ma call that acceptable. So: I'm done! Just have to craft my reply now, and give it a last read-through.

=D

Bravo!!  A 21 Gun Salute and then the Raising of the Flag!!!  Now it's Miller Time (or something more culturally acceptable).
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Parasaurolophus

Thanks!

I forgot to add that my most rejected paper got rejected again today. But that's okay, because it means that I have it back just in time to submit it for a prize. Which it seems unlikely to win, but you never know. It's squarely on topic, which will at least help.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

I have to get tomorrow's lectures done. But I'd like to be able to do something else, too. Maybe a bit of translating?
I know it's a genus.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on January 01, 2024, 10:15:25 AMJanuary goals:
  • Make progress on paper #1 with colleagues - should be submittable soon, but ball is in colleague's court
  • Make progress on paper #2 with colleagues - ball is in colleague's court
  • Make progress on paper #3 with colleague - R&R, ball is in my court
  • Make progress on paper #4 - R&R
  • Make progress on book project #1
  • Make progress on book project #2 with colleague

I read over paper #1 today and made some edits for clarity. Hoping to work on it a bit more this evening. We're hoping to get this out in January, but I'm thinking that February is more realistic.

If I can finish up my work on paper #1 tonight, then tomorrow I'll try to do a bit more on #3, which is really the thing I want to get into the zone on.

Time is tight every day due to some personal matters, but those should be resolved this weekend.

darkstarrynight

I needed to see everyone's abundance of words here because I have not been able to get myself to do anything on my book manuscript. I am going to have to kick myself into motivation soon.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on January 16, 2024, 11:44:35 AMI have to get tomorrow's lectures done. But I'd like to be able to do something else, too. Maybe a bit of translating?

Did the slides, then wrote up my reply to the referees.

Quote from: darkstarrynight on January 16, 2024, 08:41:11 PMI needed to see everyone's abundance of words here because I have not been able to get myself to do anything on my book manuscript. I am going to have to kick myself into motivation soon.

Blah, it'll come! Bon courage, as mamselle would have said!
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Snow day today, so I get to spend my time recording lectures. Blah.

With any luck I'll have a chance to give the R&R one last read.
I know it's a genus.

darkstarrynight

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on January 16, 2024, 10:53:33 PM
Quote from: darkstarrynight on January 16, 2024, 08:41:11 PMI needed to see everyone's abundance of words here because I have not been able to get myself to do anything on my book manuscript. I am going to have to kick myself into motivation soon.

Blah, it'll come! Bon courage, as mamselle would have said!

Thank you. I just decided to reach out to people who may want to set up writing time together to work on our own projects.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on January 17, 2024, 08:00:27 AMSnow day today, so I get to spend my time recording lectures. Blah.

With any luck I'll have a chance to give the R&R one last read.

Sent in the R&R. Fingers crossed, since it's a passion project and a pproof of concept for the book.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Probably just a spot of translation today. Gotta get that missing bit done.
I know it's a genus.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on January 01, 2024, 10:15:25 AMJanuary goals:
  • Make progress on paper #1 with colleagues - should be submittable soon, but ball is in colleague's court
  • Make progress on paper #2 with colleagues - ball is in colleague's court
  • Make progress on paper #3 with colleague - R&R, ball is in my court
  • Make progress on paper #4 - R&R
  • Make progress on book project #1
  • Make progress on book project #2 with colleague

Did a bit more on paper #3 (R&R w colleague) today and yesterday. Almost there on the data analysis side. I'll try to finish up the facet that I'm working on tomorrow - although realistically it may spill into next week - and then send it on to my coauthor to work on for a while. Then I'll turn back to paper #4.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on January 18, 2024, 09:40:36 AMProbably just a spot of translation today. Gotta get that missing bit done.

Only did a page.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

More translating today, to get the bit done. Then course prep stuff. I might get around to a third thing, we'll see.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on January 19, 2024, 09:41:37 AMMore translating today, to get the bit done. Then course prep stuff. I might get around to a third thing, we'll see.

Nearly there. One more good day and I'm done. Or two lazy days.
I know it's a genus.